1/32 Spitfire MkVb clipped-wing Canadian bird...

Hi gents and thanks for having me...so far,

With my vast knowledge of computers and understanding of all things electrical :hobbyhorse: I can now post pics of this build...or I did by complete accident on the other post.Anyway,I've taken the Revell Monogram MkI/II with the new engraved wing and brought it up to an MkVb standard by cutting the gun bulges from an old Hasegawa kit and fixing them to the new MkI/II wing as well as filling some panel lines and adding some new ones.The cockpit side walls are scratch built for the most part,the floor was modified the correct the wide set of the rudder pedals,narrowed the seat frame to accept the Warbird Productions seat,Waldron placards and a bunch more.The Intsrument panel has been completely re-worked with Waldron guages...oh hell,heDSC_0051.jpgre[

Edited by Dave Pratt

DSC_0019.jpg

I used mainly Gunze acrylics as well as a bit of Tamiya.I just switched to an Iwata HP-C Plus airbrush (love it) and found that the Pollyscale I was using previously would clogg the airbrush.No problem with the other two brands though.I thinned all my paint with 97% Isopropyl...

Bex thanks for the kind word...how does a fellow put a picture next to his name on the left hand side of the cloumn by the way?

Youre welcome, oh PM inbound by the way.

Bex

30-1.jpg

Since finding out about Montex Masks I haven't used decals for markings over my last five builds and since I'm a 1/32 guy it makes things much easier.That scale is big and the painted-on markings can't be beat.What I've found that works best for me is by cutting strips of paper and placing them around the perimeter of the mask.This helps in several ways,it addes rigidity to the mask itself,if (when) you apply the mask and it's cock-eyed you can easily re-position it by simply lifting a corner of the paper,also the mask itself has a very good adhesive and very little of it is needed to firmly seat the mask to your project.The less adhesive attached to your project means the less likely you are to leave residue behind.This will happen from time to time but really nothing to write home about.If you were to lay the entire mask down then you might have a problem...my fingers are getting sore...

30-12.jpg

I would have been well served to have sprayed a darker,solid colour into the opening of the wing roundels but went with white instead.I'm good looking,not smart....the fuselage roundel definetly required white since the yellow for the outer ring would have never come through.I found when spraying yellow always spray white underneath to make the yellow pop out.I painted the outer ring,then placed the mask over it.With the white already inside the roundel I placed the mask to cover it into position then sprayed the red,which was my own mix as was the yellow.Once the red was dry I covered that and sprayed the blue.When masking it serves well to cover the outsides of the mask with Tamiya tape in order to prevent any possible over spray seeping in between the masks.This and when spraying with these masks use a thin mixture that won't easily run and ruin all your hard work...

30-12.jpg

I would have been well served to have sprayed a darker,solid colour into the opening of the wing roundels but went with white instead.I'm good looking,not smart....the fuselage roundel definetly required white since the yellow for the outer ring would have never come through.I found when spraying yellow always spray white underneath to make the yellow pop out.I painted the outer ring,then placed the mask over it.With the white already inside the roundel I placed the mask to cover it into position then sprayed the red,which was my own mix as was the yellow.Once the red was dry I covered that and sprayed the blue.When masking it serves well to cover the outsides of the mask with Tamiya tape in order to prevent any possible over spray seeping in between the masks.This and when spraying with these masks use a thin mixture that won't easily run and ruin all your hard work...

Not really sure what the hell happened there...

Why not use the Hasegawa kit?Very good question...I've scribed the under wing centre section on that kit before and it was a pain in the bottom to do but this MkI/II being a nicely engraved wing saved me from that.On the other hand I'll scribe it next time since fixing those cut-out gun bulges was a real pain in the bottom. :banghead:

29-16.jpg

Here's the slogan painted on the door.It took almost an hour to apply this mask seeing as it was so small and delicate...yes,I said delicate.It took about 20 seconds to paint it on the other hand but the look was well worth the effort...

30-111.jpg

That looks great, I've been toying with the idea of painted on markings instead of decals for a while, I've even got several sets of the Montex masks, so will have to give it a go.

Cheers

Den