1:72 P-47D Thunderbolts (Academy/Revell)++FINISHED++

I'd like to join in with this build as I need a P-47 for my RAF collection.

Academy's 1:72 P-47D Thunderbolt "Razorback". This will be finished in the markings of HD154 '18' of 73 OTU, RAF,

based at Fayid, Egypt 1946.

Here is a shot of the kit and decals.....

IMG_9530.jpg

And a closer look at the Freightdog illustrations.....

IMG_9531.jpg

I notice Enzio is doing the same scheme, but at least the kit is different! :D

Cheers

Deacon

Edited by Deacon

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Mish.

With two of the Brits Abroad "Immediate Post-War RAf" P47's being built on this forum, I thought I would change the format of this build and include the third

P47 that can be built using this decal sheet. At the same time, as I am using a Revel kit for FL-O of 81 Squadron, I'll try to compare the two types of kit

to see the difference and let you decide which is the better (the Revell one cheaper by about £2.00)

So, here are the box shots of the Revell kit and the decal sheet.

IMG_9558.jpg

IMG_9559.jpg

Cheers

Deacon

Nearly went with the Academy one for my RAF Razorback build, but plumped for the Tamiya one in the end. Went with the Revell one for the Bubbletop, going to be doing a natural metal finish too. It builds up quite nicely, especially for £5.50.

Mark.

Well as promised here are some comparison shots. Sorry about my photography skills.

Wheels wells, the Revell kit is at the top of the screen

IMG_9561.jpg

Fuselage, the Revell is the left and top respectively

IMG_9565.jpg

IMG_9564.jpg

Engines, the one on the right is the Revell one and I think it is more detailed

IMG_9569.jpg

and here they are painted the the Revel one now on the left, just to keep you on your toes :blush:

IMG_9576.jpg

and that's it for the moment, you'll be pleased to know. ;)

Deacon

• 3 weeks later...

I've steered away from the comparison as there are enough shots of both kits on this forum anyway.

Here is where I am with the two kits as of tonight.

IMG_9651.jpg

IMG_9652.jpg

Cheers

Deacon

Funnily enough that's exactly where I'm at with my Revell one too. Just got the OD to spray this morning and then the gloss coat tomorrow so I can decal it up on Thurs evening after work.

Mark.

Great looking Thunderbolts! I really like the Mk I, looks fantastic in that scheme. I think I might have to get that decal sheet and do one myself, would provide a nice contrast to my current Mk I once I get it finished....

Mark.