P-51D Mustang, 1/32 Tamiya WIP

turnerdad

Been working on this for quite some time, will be featured in MIS in the future hopefully. Not been my smoothest build, not too sure why exactly but engine bay and pit (and some other bits and pieces) done, and the fuselage halves have now been joined. Cracking on with the exterior nicely though now.

Thought I'd show a few images from a week back, there are a lot more parts done too, it's a very involved model!

I've been using as much contemporary reference material as possible but am relying on the accuracy of the instructions here and there.

mustanggood0005DSC_0088-1.jpg

mustanggood0007DSC_0108.jpg

mustanggood0001DSC_0038-3.jpg

mustanggood0002DSC_0062-1.jpg

mustanggood0011DSC_0127.jpg

Cheers all.

Edited by turnerdad

Wow this looks very nice. Carry on :D

Have this one on the pile too. Got to improve my modelling skills first.

Btw, what colours did you use.

Edited by Diamondbacks VF-102

Inspiring and beautiful work! Have you used replacement rocker covers- just wondering whether the Rolls-Royce badge on what I presume is a Packard-built engine is accurate?

I did wonder but according to my references they are, and I've got lots of clear reference photos of Packard Merlins, though they are mostly modern pics of restored engines with the logos painted red which I'm pretty sure they weren't during the war. They are difficult to make out on many of my wartime pics but I've stuck them on with gator glue so I can remove them if necessary. I actually robbed them from my Eduard Spitfire set, as I had already stuck the covers on when I realised I should have put the logos on. I have a set of Barracuda replacements and they can go on the Spit!

Edited by turnerdad

Wow this looks very nice. Carry on :D

Have this one on the pile too. Got to improve my modelling skills first.

Btw, what colours did you use.

A slightly lightened black for the engine and a home mixed interior green as I couldn't get hold of any GSI H58 as my usual supplier has been out of stock for some time. Following the tragedy of the Japanese Tsunami, the factory that makes Mr Hobby paints (like so many in Japan due to power shortages) is on a 3 day week, plus apparently as so many workers have had their working weeks cut so short, people are filling their spare time by building models! I'll go into all my colours in great depth for the MIS article.

Not sure what you mean J, the U/C bays are IG while doors and legs are NM. I'm right aren't I? That's what all my references show.

I assume that you are building your kit as a restored aircraft since you appear to be using photos of restored aircraft as reference, but for those building a model of an in - service aircraft, the Packard Merlin never had Rolls Royce lettering on the rocker boxes. The interior of the u/c bays and doors were silver with the front face of the main spar in yellow zinc chromate. The majority of P-51Ds had n/m oil tanks on the firewall.

Generally, it is very unwise to use photos of "restored" aircraft as reference for either colours or equipment fitted unless it is known for certain that they have been restored to the original specification - most are not, but a few have been restored meticulously and are a good guide - it is just a matter of knowing which is which.

Magazines publishing photos of models which have been poorly researched are liable to start, or perpetuate, myths which are then difficult to eradicate, as is using photos of so=called "warbirds" for reference. How many Spitfire models have you seen with red crowbars on the cockpit door, for instance?

I assume that you are building your kit as a restored aircraft since you appear to be using photos of restored aircraft as reference, but for those building a model of an in - service aircraft, the Packard Merlin never had Rolls Royce lettering on the rocker boxes. The interior of the u/c bays and doors were silver with the front face of the main spar in yellow zinc chromate. The majority of P-51Ds had n/m oil tanks on the firewall.

Generally, it is very unwise to use photos of "restored" aircraft as reference for either colours or equipment fitted unless it is known for certain that they have been restored to the original specification - most are not, but a few have been restored meticulously and are a good guide - it is just a matter of knowing which is which.

Magazines publishing photos of models which have been poorly researched are liable to start, or perpetuate, myths which are then difficult to eradicate, as is using photos of so=called "warbirds" for reference. How many Spitfire models have you seen with red crowbars on the cockpit door, for instance?

Well some of that would have been helpful, up front!

But a great point is made. Each aircraft is different, down to individual samples. The only way to know for sure is the be sure of the ONE you are depicting.

I'm not building it as a restored aircraft, and am also well aware of the dangers of using restored aircraft as reference. Unfortuanately decent clear colour wartime walkaround shots are extremely rare so an awful lot is left to "educated guesswork" for people like me, combined with a reluctant dependence upon instruction sheets from decent companies like Tamiya. I am only using photos of restored aircraft as a guide to detailing really though again I'm aware that many have been modified too. If you can supply colour wartime walkaround shots (or any links), or even clear black and white ones I would be EXTREMELY grateful, I'm sure we all would. I for one have never seen a P-51 kit built with NM U/C bays/yellow spar and I've seen many better builds than mine by people I assume to be better informed on the subject than I. I have certainly seen NM and yellow chromate oil tanks in contemporary colour pics but I'll leave my tank as it is. I will remove the RR logos and look into the U/C bay issue too so many thanks for the heads up there. Would the ammo bays be the yellow or green colour? Also, if the spar is yellow, would any of the various ribs attached to it have been painted too? Yours, slightly despondently...

Edited by turnerdad

Now I've done a little more digging and from what a number of sources say (IPMS stokholm amongst others) the spar was painted with the yellow while the rest of the well was painted IG. Can I really be bothered...?

Edited by turnerdad

I'm truly impressed with your work. With respect to Tamiya's trio of Spit kits and their Mustang, however, I must admit to being a little disappointed with some lapses in detail. I noticed that you addressed the lack of ignition wires. Another omission is the plumbing gap between the glycol header tank and the front of the engine. Tamiya could easily have addressed the latter had they simply included two elbow pipe moldings. Don't get me wrong, they are great kits but ........

I'm truly impressed with your work. With respect to Tamiya's trio of Spit kits and their Mustang, however, I must admit to being a little disappointed with some lapses in detail. I noticed that you addressed the lack of ignition wires. Another omission is the plumbing gap between the glycol header tank and the front of the engine. Tamiya could easily have addressed the latter had they simply included two elbow pipe moldings. Don't get me wrong, they are great kits but ........

Totally agree. I had also thought that Aires producing a cockpit set for the Spit was a waste of time, but having built this pit I've changed my mind. It's a great kit but limited by injection moulding, plus there are some definite compromises which on balance seem a little lazy, but that's me being overly critical!