1/48 Chinook HC.2, Camp Bastion, Afghanistan

More done today. First thing was to add the belly panel (please excuse all the rough sanding, looks terrible but hasn't been wet n' dried yet):

IMG_0819.jpg

Fit wasn't overly great, hence the need for the filler as seen in the picture. Looks a lot messier than it is, i assure you! Note the forward landing gear as also been attached. Next i had to rip off the leading edge of the rear rotor pylon as i only discovered last night that the HC2 has a chunk cut out of it. Marked the section that needed removed:

IMG_0818.jpg

Proceeded to make a balls of it.....

:deadhorse:

....but managed to salvage something of it:

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

Just needs some sanding now and hopefully will look ok. The cockpit glazing went on next. Left it to cure for several hours to ensure the fit was nice and snug. Only a small bit of filler was needed between the forward lip of the front rotor pylon and the glazing:

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

Leaving her now for about 24 hours just to ensure everything has set. Next stage will be to clean up all the filler (looks to be more than there actually is) and fix that mess of leading edge pylon!

One more thing. I think i'm right in saying that the grills as seen above the engine in the below picture are absent on the HC2. Is this correct?

IMG_0825.jpg

More to follow.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

One more thing. I think i'm right in saying that the grills as seen above the engine in the below picture are absent on the HC2. Is this correct?

IMG_0825.jpg

Coming along nicely there Dave especially the cut out in the aft pylon leading edge. Yes the grills that you mentioned are not on HC2s.

What about the rotor blades?? Aren't the -2's wider in chord than the -1's & have that triangular extension near the hub? I could well be barking up completely the wrong tree though....!!

Keef

Only the very early Mk1s had the metal blades, with the bigger plastic ones fitted shortly after they came into service. I think if I remember rightly all the aircraft that went down the Falklands in 1982 had the fibre glass blades fitted.

Coming along nicely there Dave especially the cut out in the aft pylon leading edge. Yes the grills that you mentioned are not on HC2s.

Thanks Mark. Don't know how accurate/ tidy the cut out is but it will have to do! Removing the grills is next up.

Only the very early Mk1s had the metal blades, with the bigger plastic ones fitted shortly after they came into service. I think if I remember rightly all the aircraft that went down the Falklands in 1982 had the fibre glass blades fitted.

I was meaning more in regard to the kits to be honest - does the HC1 kit have the later blades? Just something that was ringing a bell in my cobweb filled memory!

Keef

Edit: I'm actually confusing myself now - is there a HC1 kit...??!! (did Italeri do a -1 & then Revell a -2?) I'm actually staying with my daughter this week, so despite the fact there's real Wokkas going overhead fairly regularly, I can't actually get at the 'stash' to see what blades are in my kit!

Edited by keefr22

Edit: I'm actually confusing myself now - is there a HC1 kit...??!! (did Italeri do a -1 & then Revell a -2?) I'm actually staying with my daughter this week, so despite the fact there's real Wokkas going overhead fairly regularly, I can't actually get at the 'stash' to see what blades are in my kit!

Revell and Italeri did a HC1 (same mould, different box) and italeri has a CH-47D but there has not been a HC2 produced as of yet.

Dave

Revell and Italeri did a HC1 (same mould, different box) and italeri has a CH-47D but there has not been a HC2 produced as of yet.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I could well be wrong (probably am!), but I'm sure I can remember reading somewhere that the Italeri kit has HC1 blades & the Revell kit has the -2 type. I have the Revell kit (I went for it as I want to do a -2 as well), & I'm 99% certain the blades are ''correct'' in that boxing... do you have the Italeri or the Revell?

Keef

Hi Dave,

I could well be wrong (probably am!), but I'm sure I can remember reading somewhere that the Italeri kit has HC1 blades & the Revell kit has the -2 type. I have the Revell kit (I went for it as I want to do a -2 as well), & I'm 99% certain the blades are ''correct'' in that boxing... do you have the Italeri or the Revell?

Keef

I'm using the revell one myself. I've read that both are the same moulds. No idea to be honest!

Small bit done today. Firstly i sanded and re-filled the gaps around the leading edge of the rear rotor pylon. Starting to take shape and look a bit tidier now:

IMG_0832.jpg

Next i added parts of the CMK exterior set for the defensive systems:

IMG_0831.jpg

Same on the other side. Also attached a lump (don't know what it is) on the roof. This is just an unused kit part that will be hit with some filler and sanded to shape.

IMG_0833.jpg

Also gave the underside a general tidy up before i attach all the aerials in the next few days. I'll also get the canopy masked to protect the transparencies and get the rest of the CMK set on.

More to follow.

Dave

I was meaning more in regard to the kits to be honest - does the HC1 kit have the later blades? Just something that was ringing a bell in my cobweb filled memory!

Keef

After I shut my computer down I realised that you maybe on about the kit blades. I have just been into the loft and you are correct, in that the Italeri kit has the metal blades whilst the Revell one has the fibre glass ones. Itthink both companies did the same in 1/72.

Dave that lump on the cabin roof is a newish aerial.

Another wee bit done this afternoon. Firstly, the cut at the leading edge of the rear rotor pylon has been finished (i hope). Looks a but messy with the sanding marks, but this is just down to the colour of the plastic. A wet n' dry will tidy it up (hopefully). Won't be seen under a coat of paint anyway. Also filled and smoothed the defunct vents:

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

Then added the rest of the CMK resin parts (bar a few lumps that go around the cockpit):

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

Masked off most of the canopy:

IMG_0842.jpg

Final shot for today:

IMG_0843.jpg

Next stage is to get all the underside antennae and odds 'n' sods on.

More to follow.

Dave

More done today. Added the remainder of the CMK set and started on all the antennae.

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

Looks very messy, so please excuse. Will all be wet and dried before priming.

Next stage will be to add the rail antennae that runs along the starboard side and tidy up the 'lump' on the port side cabin roof. Also need to add two small lumps to the forward rotor pylon. You can see the rail and the two bumps in this picture: http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-phot...2/1/1369126.jpg

More to follow.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Another bit of progress today, and had to get my creative thinking cap on. The two lumps on the forward rotor pylon have a square base to which the lumps are attached. My initial plan was to use some spare etched parts as a base but decided to use putty. Basically, i applied a big splodge of the stuff and made a rough square with a knife. Once set, i sanded it down and sharpened the edges before applying a 2mm long piece of styrene tube to make the 'lumps'. I think it looks ok.

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

Next up i added the winch on the port side (as you look at the aircraft from the front).

IMG_0904.jpg

This image http://www.wokka.co.uk/1cc.jpg shows the winch and some sort of wiring coming out of it. My next job will be to replicate that. The fit of the winch itself is quite poor, with a gap forming at each of the four locating points. Next job was to decide what to do with the lump on the cabin roof. As seen in earlier updates, i had planned on using a surplus kit part for this but it was completely the wrong shape so out came the putty and knife again:

IMG_0905.jpg

A bit of work will be needed to make it look like the real thing:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Bo...a539108d600a5df

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Bo...a539108d600a5df

About half way down the cabin roof. Next up was to start the rail antennae. Made a base from putty (again) and added a piece of styrene sheet to act as the main antennae or 'anchor'.

IMG_0907.jpg

Next stage will be to add the rest of the rail and sort out the lump on the cabin roof.

More to follow.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Another bit of progress. Just been working on the rail antennae. To start, i'm using surplus kit parts and extending these over the gaps with brass rod:

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

One more piece and that should be done. Not overly accurate but will do. I'm also making progress on the lump on the cabin roof. Sanded and squared off the initial putty, now working on a second helping.

IMG_0914.jpg

Once i get this sanded and cleaned up it should look reasonable under a coat of paint. Still deliberating on overall colour (see previous post) and i have e-mailed the Aviation workshop with regard to the dustbin filters. They are hopeful they will be released at Telford next weekend, so if anyone sees them, get me a set and i'll send you the funds!!!

More to follow.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL