1/48 Chinook HC.2, Camp Bastion, Afghanistan

Thanks for the comments folks, really enjoying this one!

There's some great work being shown here- and I've seen interior shots of real Wokkas that looked less "real" than your interior. . . :confused:

If thats the case i'm not sure how accurate mine is! Always nice to personalise the model i think!

DSCF1366.jpg

It was sprue(for the base),existing ariel rods,piano wire and metal foil. The broad one at the front was from the spares box.

Lovely thanks. It was one part i was starting to worry about!

Cheers

Dave

Have decided that this Chinook will be marked up as ZA718, the infamous 'Bravo November.' As this is to be depicted as a MERT/IRT machine, i think accurate timescale would be 2010 ish, in my mind around the time Flt Lt Forture was awarded the DFC, the fourth in the aircraft's history!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...ar-history.html

There are a few good images of BN in the RAF yearbook and some on google. Would anyone have a few close up images of the machine, particularly the areal fit?

Cheers

Dave

More done this lovely rainy afternoon! Firstly the decals and mask arrived:

IMG_0810.jpg

You may notice the mask is for the ACH-47. I bought this one as it was £2 cheaper and i didn't need all the parts of the HC2 mask as i have no windows were the M134's are and the two rear 'domed' windows are removed on most Herrick machines so the HC2 mask was a needless expense!

First construction task was to fully close up the cargo bay (and break off both M134's in the process! :angrysoapbox.sml: ):

IMG_0811.jpg

Tail ramp complete with M60:

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

Still haven't been able to find out why these are used on Chinooks as opposed to GPMG's. Next stage was to close the fuselage and say goodbye to the interior!

IMG_0814.jpg

The fit was almost perfect i must say. Just needs a lot of tape to get the parts to bond nicely. Next i added the two bits at the front and rear of the rear rotor housing:

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

Note also that the engines have been attached. Just praying the dustbin filters are released soon! And finally for today, i took a picture of the Chinook alongside my WAH-64D:

IMG_0817.jpg

Just goes to show the size of the AH! One thing i have noticed is that the Chinook is a very heavy model. I hope the landing gear is strong enough to hold it!

More to follow.

Dave

Still haven't been able to find out why these are used on Chinooks as opposed to GPMG's. Next stage was to close the fuselage and say goodbye to the interior!

Dave

They were supplied by Boeing when the Chinooks were first delivered.

Thanks very much. Just to clarify, what parts do i need to add to make an HC2? I have the CMK set for the exterior chaff and flares etc, but what else is there? The aerial fit on the starboard side is all i can think of.

Cheers

Dave

Most of the differences between the two marks were under the skin, eg new transmissions and hydraulic systems. The main difference is the cutout on the leading edge of the aft pylon. There are some other cosmetic one such as the rectangular panel at the base of the aft pylon. Although this panel is there (a bit heavily scribed to be honest) the grill part at the front of is is Mk1 only and this is on both sides. Another cosmetic one is on the rear of the STBD fuselage just behind the engine where there is again a grill effect which was for Mk1 only. There are several grills around the fwd pylon and one on the rear of the aft pylon just above the APU exhaust that are Mk2 only, but that is up to you if you want to do them. I think that the other real main difference is that the Mk2 has three windscreen wipers whilst the Mk1 only has two.

Great progress with the model and hope that this is of some help.

Most of the differences between the two marks were under the skin, eg new transmissions and hydraulic systems. The main difference is the cutout on the leading edge of the aft pylon. There are some other cosmetic one such as the rectangular panel at the base of the aft pylon. Although this panel is there (a bit heavily scribed to be honest) the grill part at the front of is is Mk1 only and this is on both sides. Another cosmetic one is on the rear of the STBD fuselage just behind the engine where there is again a grill effect which was for Mk1 only. There are several grills around the fwd pylon and one on the rear of the aft pylon just above the APU exhaust that are Mk2 only, but that is up to you if you want to do them. I think that the other real main difference is that the Mk2 has three windscreen wipers whilst the Mk1 only has two.

What about the rotor blades?? Aren't the -2's wider in chord than the -1's & have that triangular extension near the hub? I could well be barking up completely the wrong tree though....!!

Keef

Edited by keefr22

The cut in the forward edge of the pylon. That is going to be a bugger!