Fine Molds 1/72 Millenium Falcon

Tinners

The Fibre Optics are for the tiny landing lights on the underside of the Falcon. There are twelve in total: most people use a 3mm LED, but I find that to be too harsh for my liking, so I went with the fibre instead.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, Christmas is upon us again and I get 2 weeks from my students, which is nice!

Back to the Falcon then. :P

This morning I primered up the hull and managed to get a couple of base coats down.

6539444429_5b6eca61e2_z.jpg

DSC_0016 by DaTinz, on Flickr

I used a custom mix of paints: 3 parts X-2 White, 2 parts XF-55 Deck Tan and 1 part XF-20 Medium Grey. This results in a very pale base coat that I plan on weathering using oil paints. The blotchiness of the paint is intentional: I want a variation in the base coat to show the wear and tear a bit better.

After a day of realising I couldn't find the oil paint that I needed, putting the car through an MOT, sending parcels, etc, I finally got around to masking off the red bits and spraying them up.

I also fitted the gun turret bays too. The base colour is a lot less yellow than you see here; the first pic gives a much better idea of the real colour.

6539448749_0131494b22_z.jpg

DSC_0018 by DaTinz, on Flickr

Tomorrow I can get on with the weathering!

Edited by Tinners

Update time!

I have spent the last few days getting a move on with the weathering, which should take another 3 or 4 days hopefully.

I am using Windsor and Newton oil paints for the weathering and using an odourless thinner so it doesn't mess up the Acrylic paint base coat.

The first layer of weathering is subtle; changing the hue of the model quite significantly. You can see the clear difference if you look at both sides of the model.

6559225819_7418d4135c_z.jpg

DSC_0020 by DaTinz, on Flickr

Unfortunately, due to the lights in the Den, I didn't notice that I had been using far too much Van Dyke Brown, so it looked a bit strange when I saw it in natural light.

It went way too yellow: mainly due to the base coat I blended. Note to self: next time just use a really pale grey... So out came a J-cloth and some thinners which fixed the worst of it thankfully!

Stage 2: Streaking.

6559217867_feaffaf766_z.jpg

DSC_0023 by DaTinz, on Flickr

Looks awesome, and just took 30 minutes to cover the whole model! :)

Edited by Tinners

If it looks awesome then it didn't have anything to do with me, rather the quality of the model in the first place.

For your Snowspeeder I think the light Grey colour would be the way to go: I wish I'd had the courage of my convictions when I was pondering what colour to go with for the base coat.

I've had to wait a couple of days for the model to dry as I have been hand tinting individual panels with oils and it just wouldn't dry!

The panel colour changes are very subtle and the photo's don't catch the differences in tone. Perhaps now may be a good time to invest in one of those Photo booth things.

6595587957_eb47e53069_z.jpg

DSC_0027

6595594115_76f8a01de3_z.jpg

DSC_0028

6595600929_cbc9ebef9d_z.jpg

DSC_0029

Two more days should see this finished, then I can get the base sorted!

The Falcon is done and just in time for me to go back to work.

It's been a fun build and even more fun to paint and weather, so it was money well spent.

Here are some quick piccies of the finished model: I will post the rest in the finished builds thread.

6619923491_eb95b4735d_z.jpg

6619979181_3662e15039_z.jpg

6619996051_8b78146d8a_z.jpg

6620060351_b8ea4d5356_z.jpg

6620062053_056f58bdbd_z.jpg

6620064555_295ce38217_z.jpg

Edited by Tinners

Looks fantastic mate, like i said its the best thing ive seen you do and the weathering is subline

i doth my cap to you sir

also the photos are pretty awesome ;)

now Schnell schnell! :P

:hobbyhorse:

Looks fantastic mate, like i said its the best thing ive seen you do and the weathering is subline

i doth my cap to you sir

also the photos are pretty awesome ;)

now Schnell schnell! :P

:hobbyhorse:

Well you did do a nice job on the images! :)

Anyway, NX-01 first mate, then the Schnellboot.

Any chance of some pics with it all lit up?

I'll give it a go. The 'headlights' are incredibly bright and totally overwhelm all of the others, so I'll try and cover them up to show off the rest of it.

If you like i can come over next weekend and take some pics of it with the lights on