Grumman HU-16 Albatross AMI

Thanks guys, glad you like it ! Hope I can finish it by the end of today...

I agree! It's something I've never understood - why, when the Italian SAR schemes are so attractive, why are there so few decals for them? Baffles me so it does!

One of the reason is the lack of kits: the albatross is itself under-represented, with the old monogram in 1/72 (that is not the right version for the italian ones) and the A-model kits in 1/144. The albatross was then replaced by the HH-3F, and while there are several SH-3 kits, the Pelikan can only be built finding an old revell or lindbergh HH-3 kit. Tauromodel makes unit markings for some aircrafts, but as usual with Tauro decals a number of sheets is needed to build a single model.

While the president here is giving his end of year speech on the telly, I took some pictures with the propellers on:

P9013394.jpg

P9013396.jpg

As you see the propellers are not great, but I'm not going to do much about it. They are very loosely glued, so that when I'll add the SAR band on the tail I can detach them and reattach them later.

Now an interesting picture to give an idea of the size of the real thing:

P9013398.jpg

The Piaggio P.108 model was included in issues of a publications on WW2 bombers. It's a chinese made assembled model I bought for Euro 3 with the idea of using it to practice some painting. It's 1/144 scale too and is about the size of a Lancaster. The Albatross was not that small !!!

While the President keeps talking about the sacrifices waiting for us in the near future, I'm doing a last attempt at the SAR band.... I might manage to add this by midnight !!!

Ok, with 5 minutes to spare before the end of the GB, I call this completed.... for now anyway ! That is it's not really completed as some decals are missing and so are the antennas. I tried hard to complete at least the blue/white SAR titling, but with the ink on the decal having to dry for at least a day before the coat of micro decal film, it was impossible. Not that I did not try, but I only managed to ruin the decal....

Here are the final pictures after I have attached the last couple of bits:

P9023400.jpg

P9023399.jpg

P9013395.jpg

P9023401.jpg

P9013397.jpg

P9023402.jpg

What can I say ? It's not been an easy build, part because of my decision to build a different version (with the result of some work on wings and tailplanes) part because it's not an easy kit to start with. Now I've built A-model kits before so I knew what as waiting for me, but the filling and sanding required for this one were beyond my imagination. Still, in the end I kind of got there: the model looks good from 3-4 feet.

The final result is without a doubt the most colourful model I have ever built, and it's really eye-catching.

Did I enjoy it ? I'd say yes, apart from the troubles I've had (actually still having...) to find the right settings on my new printer. The decals gave me a lot of headaches, more than I've ever had before with home made decals.

Would I build another one ? Yes but not for the next couple of years !!! Although I've read there's going to be an airliner GB at some point and I have a 1/144 A-model kit of the lancaster that could be made into an Alitalia Lancastrian....... B)

Thanks to all for the support during this build and thanks for watching. Hope you've enjoied this little kit.

Now as I don't know if I can consider this finished, I have to ask the hosts if I can upload pics to the galleries or not...

Edited by Giorgio N

Giogio, I'm so sorry! If I'd looked at the build threads last night before setting up the poll, I'd have asked you to post pictures in the gallery,

and included your model in the poll. As it is, it's too late. . .

Giogio, I'm so sorry! If I'd looked at the build threads last night before setting up the poll, I'd have asked you to post pictures in the gallery,

and included your model in the poll. As it is, it's too late. . .

No worries Gaz, the more I look at it the more I don't feel it like completed anyway.... was good fun to take part in the GB anyway !!!