Revell Airbus A400M Testshots

Rob P

In 1/72 and order5ed by the RAF it fits my needs and so does the price....I can do that :)

btw - I can confirm that Jennings can and does make very good models - trust me; he does.....

• 2 weeks later...

Does look very nice. I do hope they scale it down to 1/144.

As to Jennings' comments about the Herc not getting done right in scale.... Maybe so, but would it have killed anyone to tool up a proper C-141B Starlifter in 1/72 or 1/144?

I guess that's the price an aircraft pays for being an unglamorous transport...

Whens the relaease date? and more importantly is it before the telford show?????

AFAIK its scheduled for December, so i doubt it will be ready for SMW, we should however see it made it up on the Revell stand

So? Is there a tax on non-100% relevant postings (which are only irrelevant in the eyes of the viewer)?? Did I miss a memo?

Just to keep it absolutely relevant, the kit looks lovely. It's a kit of an airplane that isn't in service, has only sold a few dozen, and will probably never be operated by more than a small handful of air forces in its (very expensive) lifetime. I think Revell totally didn't do a very good job by not taking the opportunity to own the C-130 market with a 1/72 kit to match their C-160 and Atlantic kits. But the A400M kit looks lovely.

How's that?

:)

J

Interesting - The F22A Raptor is only being produced in limited numbers & will likely see service with only one airforce during its (horrendously) expensive lifetime. And yet, how many kits are there..........? Sorry Jennings. No offence but I really think the numbers/service argument you present is totally irrelevant in this context. Besides - 174 orders (as of July 2011) is more than just a few dozen!! Agree though, it DOES look lovely AND, a series of new C-130 kits would also be awfully nice as well! :D

Interesting - The F22A Raptor is only being produced in limited numbers & will likely see service with only one airforce during its (horrendously) expensive lifetime. And yet, how many kits are there..........? Sorry Jennings. No offence but I really think the numbers/service argument you present is totally irrelevant in this context. Besides - 174 orders (as of July 2011) is more than just a few dozen!! Agree though, it DOES look lovely AND, a series of new C-130 kits would also be awfully nice as well! :D

It's water off a duck's back - Airbus (and I speak from much, much previous experience) is well used to such comments, especially from t'other side of the Atlantic. But with over half the market for civil aircraft of 100 seats and above (basically, our category), we recognise the green eyed monster when we see it :P

As for the A400M kit - I had one on order (from Models2u) as soon as Revell released their 2011 catalogue and I can't wait to get my hands on it. These shots show it to look superb (and talking of which, I'm looking out of my office window and can see one in the circuit right now. And about 25 minutes ago a Transall departed here as well - which we don't get to see very often any more since they shut Francazal Air Base).

Dan

Guys, Jennings is perfectly right when he says that a C-130 kit would potentially be more interesting. Such a kit would attract enthusiasts in many more countries than the A-400M could do. However as Revell has a big market in germany and other european countries it makes sense they produce a model of a plane that will see service in germany and in these other countries. I'm sure that if the luftwaffe had used the hercules we'd have already seen a kit of that type from revell !

As for the F-22 it's not a fair comparison: the Raptor will be the main fighter plane of the most powerful and best known air force in the world... no surprise that there are many kits around, while I think saying nobody else will ever do an A-400M is a safe bet.

Anyway, bring on the big ones ! After Italeri's recent C-27/G.222 this new revell kit will make all the fans of cargo planes very happy !

But following that logic, the Luftwaffe doesn't operate the C-17, so why kit it? Because it's in service with the USAF? Well so is the C-130...

At the end of the day, the A400M kit is a welcome addition to my stash and collection as I'm sure it will be to many others...

Edited by Airbusians

Guys, Jennings is perfectly right when he says that a C-130 kit would potentially be more interesting. Such a kit would attract enthusiasts in many more countries than the A-400M could do. However as Revell has a big market in germany and other european countries it makes sense they produce a model of a plane that will see service in germany and in these other countries. I'm sure that if the luftwaffe had used the hercules we'd have already seen a kit of that type from revell !

As for the F-22 it's not a fair comparison: the Raptor will be the main fighter plane of the most powerful and best known air force in the world... no surprise that there are many kits around, while I think saying nobody else will ever do an A-400M is a safe bet.

Anyway, bring on the big ones ! After Italeri's recent C-27/G.222 this new revell kit will make all the fans of cargo planes very happy !

With respect Giorgio, I beg to differ. With regard to the A400, I think that both you and Jennings are proceeding from a flawed perspective. The A400 is brand new but will shortly enter service in substantial numbers with 3 well known European air forces. Over time, I believe others will follow - especially as C-130 operators look to replace their fleets. The only real competitor to the A400 is the C-130J - a warmed over version of a near 60 year old design. It has not exactly been prolific in terms of sales. The C130, good though it is, has probably reached the end of its design potential AND, many of them are now seriously tired aeroplanes which will need replacing before long. The A400 is only just starting it career! I do not suggest that it will ever achieve anything like the sales /number of users that the C-130 did but, I suggest we should watch this space before writing it off.

It could of course be argued, with some justification, that the A400 is a bit on the big side for most air forces. Probably true but, it's a good half way house between the Hercules & the C-17. My own personal take on this is that (using our own example) that the RAF will now have (with the C-130, A400 and, C-17) a mix of capabilities that will offer greater flexibility than ever before. Rather like the USAF wth its mix of C130, C17 & C5.

The C-17 very nearly didn't make it into production either. The problems with the project are well known. This magnificent machine overcame those hurdles . The A400 faced its own problems. I believe, in time, it will also shake off that unwanted baggage.

As for the C130 kit situation? Well, actually, I agree that a brand new, state of the art kit(s) would be awfully nice!

I'd rather have a C-141 though or, a C-124 or, a C-133.......................................!!!!! :D

Edited by Albeback52

Interesting - The F22A Raptor is only being produced in limited numbers & will likely see service with only one airforce during its (horrendously) expensive lifetime. And yet, how many kits are there..........?

will likely see service? Only if they can keep flying low enough, to where they don't need to use their oxygen masks. :lol:

To keep this on topic, I will probably get one of the A400Ms when it gets to "the colonies", even though the USA MSRP will probably be much higher than the European price. I plan on making it in a "future" gunship version, to replace the AC-130U. ^_^

Oh, I would also like to see some CORRECT 1/72 (and maybe 1/48) C-130 kits released.

Larry

I remember seeing a 1/2 scale mockup of the A400 at the Paris airshow in '87 - supposed to be in service by the mid '90s, just like the raptor.

The main problem with the Herc and the 141 ( speaking as an ex airlift guy) was the fact that the cabin was too narrow for any useful load.

The herc bulked out before it hit its weight, hence the C3.

We kept the old bedford 4 tonners for a long time because the newer ones were not airportable.

The list of kit that is no longer portable grows greater by the year.

The herc was an airlifter for the '50's, the A400 was designed for a different era, the same way Boeing are kicking the bottom out of the 737

grandfather rights to get 'passed it' designs accepted.(NG overving exits are not the fullsized ones required by the FAA on the A320)

I remember seeing a 1/2 scale mockup of the A400 at the Paris airshow in '87 - supposed to be in service by the mid '90s, just like the raptor.

The main problem with the Herc and the 141 ( speaking as an ex airlift guy) was the fact that the cabin was too narrow for any useful load.

The herc bulked out before it hit its weight, hence the C3.

We kept the old bedford 4 tonners for a long time because the newer ones were not airportable.

The list of kit that is no longer portable grows greater by the year.

The herc was an airlifter for the '50's, the A400 was designed for a different era, the same way Boeing are kicking the bottom out of the 737

grandfather rights to get 'passed it' designs accepted.(NG overving exits are not the fullsized ones required by the FAA on the A320)

So I'd better stand close to the other doors the next time I fly on an 800 series of that well known low cost airline ?? Or being a short fella I'm safe enough with the overwing ones ??? :D

:lol:

Looks a very nice kit, maybe Revell will release the C17 and C141 A and B versions in 1/72, and be less cheaper and better than Anigrands.

Both would be nice!! :D . Along with a C-133, C-124, C-74,C-54, C-46, Britannia, Argosy, Beverley, Belfast,VC-10, IL-76,AN-22,C-5A/B..........................................!!!!!!! :lol:

No harm in fantasising I guess!!

PS - I know about the Williams Bros C-46. Not easy to get hold of unfortunately!!

This is one very impressive looking kit!! Presumably the initial release will only contain decals for the prototypes with a later release featuring operational markings once the Grizzly has actually entered service? Reckon I'll wait until an RAF version is issued.