1/48 Tamiya P-47D

Hey All,

I know I'm a little late but I'd like to get in on this GB with Tamiya's 1/48 P-47M kit that I will be using to build "Ponnie" a P-47D-28-RA of the 64th FS/57th FG. I'm using the Tamiya M kit for the fin fillet which was retrofitted to this D-28...Only AM goodies I will be using is SuperScale decals and Eduard's Zoom p/e set.

CopyofKW48030a.jpg

149.jpg

102_4992.jpg

102_5000.jpg

Picked up the kit and decals on e-Bay...total build cost including p/e...$36!

Dave :)

Edited by Dave Hill

Hi all,

Time to get started!...since the Eduard Zoom set is taking it's sweet 'ole time getting here I started with the engine...first I drilled out the cylinders for the ingition wires and after finding out the correct crankcase/distributor/magneto configuration I had to modify the crankcase by eliminating the molded on distributor. The distributor and mags were all-in-one on this engine so only the prop governor was left in the center. I re-built the center section of the tubular wire harness with 1.0mm plastic rod then using plastic tubing I heated it and like stretching sprue and made hypodermic size tubes for the wire lead-ins gluing them to the wiring harness. Finally I made a prop governor from a block of plastic square stock and drain tube for the oil scavenge pump from .3mm plastic rod

102_4906.jpg

Dave :bye:

Finally finished up the engine...I started by painting the cylinders Alclad alluminum...the crankcase a Lt. Blue/Gray...the distributor/magnetos and prop governor flat black and the tubular wire harness, prop governor linkage and scavenge pump tube Metallic silver. Next I dry brushed on a rusty color then gave it a grimy black/brown wash...when dry I added the ignition wires using 0.14mm copper wire. I finished the weathering by spraying flat lacquer tinted with a drop of Lt. Gray enamel to tone everything down and give the engine a dusty look.

102_5066.jpg

102_5064.jpg

Edited by Dave Hill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All!,

With the engine done and the arrival of the Eduard Zoom p/e set it was time to hit the pit...I found that about the only thing the kit pit actually needed was the p/e IP...the place cards and bits from the Eduard set were basically icing on the cake...in my opinion the kit parts, a p/e IP and a few scratch built items will produce a cockpit that equals any resin replacement.

After painting the kit parts a DDG color I mixed using 3:YZC+2:Fl. Black+3:Insignia Blue I added the place cards and p/e parts...next I weathered the parts with dry brushing and added the p/e seatbelts, an oxygen hose made from fine copper wire, control stick dust boot from cigarette paper and the instrument's power cables. Lastly I sprayed the entire assembly and IP faceplate only with dull lacquer tinted with Lt. Gray for a flat dusty look.

102_4984.jpg

Hi All,

With the pit finished I was dry fitting it inside the fuselage and that's when I noticed that cavernous opening where the cowl will go and my mind went back in time 30+ yrs and I thought "I'm gonna motorize this baby!"...as a kid I stuck an electric motor in anything that was big enough for the motor and battery.

I started by looking for something containing a small motor...I found an old electric toothbrush and removed the motor and to my complete astonishment it fit perfectly in the kit's firewall (part # G4)...I have been wondering why the kit's engine mounts, cowling and wing spars were engineered the way they were...now I know...it seems Tamiya designed the kit to be motorized w/self contained battery if the modeler chooses to...so I did!

With the mount for the electric motor engineered by Tamiya all I had to do is come up with a mount for the battery and + and - connectors...I made this assembly from plastic rod and sheet stock with scraps of p/e fret making up the contacts. A coupler made from plastic tubing was attached to the motor shaft and runs through the kit engine assembly to the prop shaft.

102_5070.jpg

After painting the motor mount assembly YZC (of course) I wired the electric motor and +/- contacts, then installed the motor securing it with a tiny drop of CA...with that I attached the assembly to an engine stand, inserted the battery and fired it up!

102_5082.jpg

102_5083.jpg

With some modifications to the wing spar parts the complete assembly fits perfectly inside the fusalage.

That's the only step I couldn't iron out...if the model was going to be permenantly attached to a base, running wires to a switch would be simple...so I just put my finger on the spinner before connecting the battery then install the assembly...to remove it I just carefully pull it out with the engine running and disconnect the battery.

That looks bloomin great and some very ingenious scratchbuilding to get the motor and battery installed.

it seems Tamiya designed the kit to be motorized w/self contained battery

Tamiya do a motorised version of the D-25 and all of the relevent bits fit into the M kit if anyone less adventurous feels like having a go at a working prop version.

Looking forward to seeing this come together, if that engine is anything to go by she's gonna be a beauty!

:cheers:

Nige

http://p47.kitmaker.net/

http://56thfightergroup.co.uk/

Edited by lampie

Hi All,

Moving right along I start work on the wheel bays which are really nice...another area where in my opinion resin aftermarket parts are a waste of time and money. I detailed the bays with aluminum lines made of 0.3mm plastic rod and rubber hose using 0.5mm rod.

102_5094.jpg

Wheel bay plumbing ready for paint.

102_5103.jpg

Two small structural members were made from 0.3mm plastic sheet.

The bays were then painted YZC and high wear areas dry brushed with Metallic silver paint...the plumbing pieces were added and a dirty black wash was applied, then I finished off with a coat of dull lacquer.

102_5207.jpg

102_5208.jpg

102_5210.jpg

102_5225.jpg

This is a great looking build Dave. :clap2:

Lovely detailing all round and a great idea with the motor. I liked the fact that you showed the extra wheel well details before attaching them.

It helps to see that, rather than trying to get one long stretch of rod or wire to fit in place, it may be easier to break the parts down!

Deacon

It helps to see that, rather than trying to get one long stretch of rod or wire to fit in place, it may be easier to break the parts down!

Thanks everyone for your comments!!!

My first idea was to drill holes in the bay ribs like the real plane but I decided to break up the plumbing in pieces instead and I think it worked very well and looks the part.

Hi all,

latest update...assembled and sanded the wings...sanded the fuselage (no filler just some Mr. Surfacer ) ...added rivet detail to the model then attached wings and horiz. stabs to the fuselage with virtually perfect joins!

102_5284.jpg

102_5286.jpg

102_5288.jpg