Trumpeter 1/72 Sea Fury

gengriz

This will be the last build of the year, and by spooky co-incidence it is the 100th aircraft in my collection. With that in mind I fancied doing something special but straightforward "Out The Box". However, I am making rather hard work of this one, and I have to say that although it is shaping up reasonably well, I am a little disappointed by Trumpeter so far.

Whilst the kit looks very nice in the box, I have found that the fit is dubious in places, particularly the wings (I took the locating tabs off in the end) and the main fuselage. It is also clearly not meant to be done with wings unfolded - getting the wing joins to match, whilst keeping the wings at the correct angle was not particularly easy.

It then suffered 2 disasters; firstly I misread the rather vague instructions and glued the exhaust stubs in upside down (then destroyed them when trying to correct the error). Then after painting the demarcation line between EDSG and Sky, the horrible Revell Sky paint came off en-masse with the masking tape (the offending tape can be seen in the picture - the paint had been drying for about 36 hrs too). Nothing that can't be fixed, but annoying nevertheless.

PC170080.jpg

looks a good start from here.

Must admit I am rather partial to the EDSG / sky combo especially with some stripes added into the mix al la this one and the Seafire

Having recently done a flurry of carrier Aircraft all with the wings unfolded I feel your pain. I wish the manufacturers would offer two sets of wings, one folded one how it should be displayed ;)

looking forward to seeing the finished article, i'm also looking forward to its release in 1/48 rivets 'n' all

Getting there: Basic paint job is on; tidy and touch up, followed by oily wash tonight I think.

When I opened up the decals, I was disappointed to see that the roundels were slightly misaligned - come on Trumpeter; not what I expect from a kit costing this much - even Airfix do separate red centres nowadays!

I hesitated over whether to mask and paint the black & white stripes, but in the end I used the decals. Possibly not the best move. Unfortunately they didn't sit comfortably over the sharp gun bulges, and their edges curled when I applied Humbrol Decal Fix, so I have to do a lot of touching up to do in any event - and my white paint is nowhere near as white as the decals so matching it may be fun.

FredT

PC210084.jpg

G'day Fred,

Despite your hassles the kit still looks very nice. Thanks for persevering and sharing the pics, and your experience thus far. I was one who excitedly bought the kit as soon it appeared in my LHS, but was disappointed by the cockpit (among other things) and have relegated it to further down in the pile. It's great to see that your building anyway and building well. Great stuff and good luck with the remainder.

Andrew

latest phots taken this morning in the brief bright spell before the daylight turned to cloudy gloom; still some detail and touching up to do (e.g. port wing stripes), plus I want it a bit more glossy.

PC220087.jpg

PC220086.jpg

Thanks for the further pics, Fred.

The kit looks quite good, especially from the rear quarter. Your paint scheme looks spot on; are the colours straight from the tin? The Sky in particular looks exactly how I perceive it from photos, but never seem to acheive myself. Well done.

Andrew

Andrew, Apologies for taking so long to respond, but I have been on the annual family/in-laws duty tour for the last week and away from my laptop!

Yes, thats the Revell Sky enamel (R59) straight out the tin; I used to swear by the Humbrol Sky enamel (H23), but about 10 yrs ago it lost its yellow/green tinge and became very light blue, so I stopped using it. The Revell stuff is horrible; spreads like wet plaster rather than paint, and although it usually levels out before drying, it always worrys me when I apply it. 2 thinned coats are needed.

If you thin it, it applies OK, but doesn't adhere well (hence my masking tape lifting it off) and then it dries (or forms a skin) in the tin. But it does look like the correct shade to me, having checked out many aircraft at the FAA Museum.

Finished the final details yesterday; not entirely happy with this build, although it looks much better in the flesh (or is that my eyesight fading with age!).

FredT

P1010114.jpg

P1010112.jpg

Last Years Models: http://www.gengriz.co.uk/2007index.htm

Thanks for the pics, Fred and congrats on the finish.

Your comments about Humbrol's Sky are interesting and bear out what I experienced, causing me to look elsewhere; as I say though, I've yet to find the definitive match elsewhere, although Xtracolour's is quite good. I think I'll steer clear of the Revell colour.

I would like to start my Trumpeter Sea Fury shortly, and am now better informed thanks to your thread. Thanks again and very best wishes to you for this year.

Andrew.

Lovely build Fred, well done. Just have to love SeaFuries don't you!

Andrew, for a perfect sky match, try our own John@WEM, got mine from him, its an excellent match and beautiful to work with. he does a whole range of paints for FAA aircraft (and others)

Andrew, for a perfect sky match, try our own John@WEM, got mine from him, its an excellent match and beautiful to work with. he does a whole range of paints for FAA aircraft (and others)

Thanks Perry,

Will head over for a look; been meaning to get his stuff for a while and its even accessible in Australia from a local supplier, but I might get it direct. I hear great things about his service.

Cheers, Andrew.