Airfix/Itarei 1:72 C-47 Dakota

Hi guys,

Iam doing ZA947, the RAF's BBMF Dakota, in her previous Pegasus squadron scheme.

IMG_0009.jpg

This is a hybrid of two kits the olive brown parts and decals come form the Airfix C-47 "Berlin Airlift" gift set (Anyone want the Camel Caravan to berlin decals?) and the black parts come from the remnants of an itarei set which I picked up as part of a job lot sale on fleabay (so if anyones missing the bits pictured then... sorry Ive got them!).

Along with these two kits I have employed a set of resin tyres (cause there nice compare to the kit ones, if any one needs tyres I now have two sets to drop me a line) as well as Eduard masks to speed up construction and lessen damage to my fingers!

IMG_0016.jpg

So I am determined to get this kit done properly and within the time frame for once! so this is a very quick build as my ideal target is Tuesday morning! So work happened quickly, the interior was made up and painted quickly I had time to even add white for dials in the cockpit (Yes I know its not going to be seen!)

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

I weighted down the tail with a blob of... emm flesh,. my secret recipe nice smelling, heavy cassim flesh! as well as painted the interior and fitted the doors.... and then realized one would have to come off as all the pictures I have seen of the BBMF Dak have the smaller door open, however when its off I am blocking the view with a member of BBMF crew.

IMG_0015.jpg

My pilots, aint they pretty!

Sealed

IMG_0018.jpg

There she blows Jim, me lad!

IMG_0017.jpg

Yes its to be smoothed out and the astrodome will be fitted later

Thanks Andy and no, the fudge is an old one thats lay there since January for a Lancaster Diorama. I discovered that fudge bars are very similare in size and shape to the Forward fuel tank of a Lancaster Bomber and its to be used in another BBMF Diorama when ever I get round to building the Lancaster with Cowling's back to the wing.

It might get done some day.... around Christmas at KUTA....

Al I dunno really I just prefer that the tail is weighted so that she stays tail down.... had a bad experience with a B-29 that apparently didn't need nose weight and it ended up a tail dragger so I just took a precautionary measure here!

Edited by RAF Colonel

Thanks Andy and no, the fudge is an old one thats lay there since January for a Lancaster Diorama. I discovered that fudge bars are very similare in size and shape to the Forward fuel tank of a Lancaster Bomber and its to be used in another BBMF Diorama when ever I get round to building the Lancaster with Cowling's back to the wing.

It might get done some day.... around Christmas at KUTA....

Al I dunno really I just prefer that the tail is weighted so that she stays tail down.... had a bad experience with a B-29 that apparently didn't need nose weight and it ended up a tail dragger so I just took a precautionary measure here!

Well that's one of the stranger pieces of a/c trivia I have learnt!

Andy

Right so I didn't make it for this morning as my target (Knew I really wouldnt) But I am sitting at about 60% completion.

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

So at the close last night ( and Monday night) I had finished applying the wings, I had subsequently made up the engines but haven't fitted them and they will go on this afternoon.

James

Right gentlemen a week has nearly passed and work has gobbled up alot of the time this week (That reminds me.... I still have two documents and a letter to type for the morning!) However I have done some work...

Ive painted her belly that awful sky green!

PA030147.jpg

PA030153.jpg

I then sprayed her three legs,

PA030152.jpg

Painted the tyres,

PA030154.jpg

and then fitted her legs and tyres to the aircraft as well as her exahusts and some other minor bits.

Hopefully, as tomorrow I am only working a half day I'll get the top half of her painted brown and draw out the paint scheme and get a start on her camo!

night folks,

James

• 1 month later...

And shes dead....

AS many of you know I had a running battle with paint, 29 wasnt right and my tub had more floaty things than the Thames estuary .... so I decided to go get some more paint, painted a section of the kit and it looked ok.... paint was lumpy where the last paint job had been so I decided to clean her, out came the apparent acetone free nail polish remover..... oh it removed the paint alright and distoryed the plastic and compromised the glue so shes gone to the big scrapyard in the kitchen....

shame.... was really looking forward to having her done!