Phantom FGR.2 colours???

mikeew

Hello everybodypeeps......

Just after some clarifiaction from those of you "that know" :undecided:

I'm building the Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR.2 OOB with 56sqn sharkmouth.

Greys have me a bit confussed!

So far I think its...

The undersides are Light Aircraft Grey for which I will use Humbrol 166 or Gunze H332

The fuselage upper and the outer wing sections are Barley Grey (Humbrol 167)

The inner wing areas are Medium Sea Grey (Humbrol 165)

Can anyone confirm/clarify this?

Also what colour is the nose cone??? This looks like another Grey altogether!

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Mike

So far I think its...

The undersides are Light Aircraft Grey for which I will use Humbrol 166 or Gunze H332

Mike

Hi Mike Those are indeed the correct colours....as for the radome - I once saw a 56 Sqn "Grey" FGR2 at RAF Manston (Many years ago! 1988?) with - best described as - a very faded brick red/brown radome!!

Which could have been ....XV402

Best to check your references as this colour did vary - best "average" colour to use is "Barley/Camo grey" with a touch of brown or yellow.

Edited by Bill Clark

Mike, heres mine, I used Revell Matt 76, which I dont think is correct, but mixing paints is not something Im good at, so it was close enuff for me. As for the the titanium plates behind the cans, yes I know its very wrong, but next time it wont be.

Bex

yn8bjl.jpg

yn8bju.jpg

Edit: Can anyone spot the Airbus A380 part? :blush:

Edited by bexwh773

Here's a picture taken at Yeovilton in 1988 of a Treble One FG1 with a lovely brown radome. I have a picture of a 56 aircraft with the radome Bill mentions,again taken at Yeoviton. I'll try and find it out.

FG1111SQUADRON88VL.jpg

So far I think its...

Mike

Here's a picture taken at Yeovilton in 1988 of a Treble One FG1 with a lovely brown radome. I have a picture of a 56 aircraft with the radome Bill mentions,again taken at Yeoviton. I'll try and find it out.

FG1111SQUADRON88VL.jpg

Yuk! That was a one off...what the heck were they thinking when they let some muppett paint that?

Personally I'd use a touch of Dark Earth in the Barley grey...just a hint mind you...

FGRMk2Gallery013a.jpg

I agree with Zeke...it can be slightly more than a slight touch of dark earth mind you...but not too much!

That'll be the part that's fallen off?

:coat:

:rofl: Well funny you should say that, a bit did fall off so I pinched a bit of Heidi's hallucienagenic A380 to fix it, but for a Phantom expert, it should be easy to spot, especially with another photo of the same model under it :evil_laugh:

Bex

:rofl: Well funny you should say that, a bit did fall off so I pinched a bit of Heidi's hallucienagenic A380 to fix it, but for a Phantom expert, it should be easy to spot, especially with another photo of the same model under it :evil_laugh:

Bex

It's not the winders so I'll guess at the iffy looking nose wheel!

It's not the winders so I'll guess at the iffy looking nose wheel!

Close enuff, the white bit sticking out under the front wheel door, sorta triangle shape is off an A380 main UC bogie coz I broke it then lost it & the plot :evil_laugh:

Bex

Yuk! That was a one off...what the heck were they thinking when they let some muppett paint that?

Strongly suspect that the nose cone is in fact UNPAINTED ie natural carbon fibre or what have you !!

I agree with Zeke...it can be slightly more than a slight touch of dark earth mind you...but not too much!

Ha ha...thanks David... :blush:

It was done for one of the WEEAC Navigator family of instructional CD's...WEEAC Navigator linky thing

not a bad old kit the Revell/Hasegawa box...damned good decal set in it that's for sure...just a pity that it didn't come with Sidewinders in the box...:shrug:

sorry for stealing the thread Mike...but you know we're all a bunch of thread whores!!!...:P

I think its probably UNPAINTED Rich, Its the colour of the non-metallic radome...

All of this Phantom talk........must get back to finishing off the "few" I've already started!! :winkgrin:

Just a fascinating fact I'm sure you all know, but 56 Sqn had one radome painted so apparently they could have one cool bird at airshows, gatherings etc, and it used to get switched around the FGR2's which didn't have hinged radomes. (I think the other versions were hinged and therefore not as interchangeable). :sleeping: