1:48 Hasegawa F6F-3 Hellcat

timmah

Looks pretty good, but have you thought of a post-spray over with a lightened version of the blue?

Otherwise you have definitely done a cracking job, like the masks, they(insignia) came out really well I think. :speak_cool:

Progress continues............

All main painting finished, Ad Astra masks fitted to main fuselage and wing top. White first coat applied, unlike the under wing insignia I'm going to wait until this is fully dry before continuing!

PA300264.jpg

Thanks for looking

Regards

Tim.

Some more done.......

Insignia outline done in faded red, I've also blown over the previously done underside insignia to slightly tone down how chipped and faded it was, hope I have not spoilt it now........

PB010265.jpg

I also removed the smaller masks to reveal the 13's on the cowl and tail plane, very impressed with how the masks have worked so far.

Seem to be on a bit of a roll with this model so will try to keep the momentum up and get it finished.

Best regards

Tim.

I'm looking forward to seeing how that insignia came out, really nice work on the masks on that.

Thanks again Chris. Sadly, I can only take credit for buying and using the masks, it was Ad Astra who made them for me!

Looking forward to seeing the results Tim

Oh dear......That's put the pressure on!! :frantic:

:bleh:

Regards

Tim.

One thing I wanted to ask, as you going to bend the forward part of the plane the way the photo is?

That would seem like a no go at this point in your build.

Hi Chris

I'm going to model it as it was before it landed(quite literally) on the deck.

Thanks

Tim.

Moving forward........

Insignia and numbers finished. Had to repaint two of the insignia and one of the letters due to the fact that as I lifted the masks it pulled some of the paint away; I've never needed to flatten/key Xtracolour in between coats so I didn't think I would need to here, think I was rushing to see the results so it was my fault, a little frustrating but the masks are quite reusable so I just reapplied and repainted. Two steps forward and one step back. It was only the second cockup (that I'm admitting to!) of the whole build so I'm really doing well, just watch out for the disaster has struck post in a few days time!!

PB060256.jpg

Tonight the whole thing has been gloss varnished to seal in what have been achieved so far. Hopefully will get some of the other decals and stencil data fitted this week.

Regards

Tim.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, managed to get some time for modelling today so I continued............

Brake lines added to the under carraige legs to finish them off after a bit of "dirtying" with a dark wash.

PB260260.jpg

Using water colours I applied some staining and oil runs to the underside.

PB260261.jpg

Hasegawa provides blank exhausts in the kit, they look quite fake and lifeless so with a small drill and sharp knife I opened them up.

PB260262.jpg

Underside exhaust staining done.

PB260264.jpg

Topside exhaust staining done.

PB260263.jpg

Undercarraige all attached and doors fixed in place.

PB260265.jpg

The flat coat has taken some of the colour out of the top coat so I may go over this with a satin varnish in certain area's to help bring the colour back out, what do you think?

Now starting to see the end of the build with this one.

Things left to do include: aeriel and wires, guns and canopies and drop tank to attach. The drop tank had to be stripped back as the paint didn't take well so that has to be re done. After that I can take some final pictures and call it finished.

Thanks for looking

Tim.

Well, very close to the deadline but it's done!

And here are the Pictures.......

PC100271.jpg

PC100270.jpg

PC100272.jpg

PC100274.jpg

PC100273.jpg

Lighting not great due to taking at night, is it allowed to change the pictures tomorrow morning?

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement.

Best regards

Tim.