Last display Phantom.. XT914

neilfgr2

Just been reading on an aviation site that RAF Brampton is to close and move to Wyton.

Thing is that the F4 on gategaurd dutie will no doubt be up for scrap. It has been offered to Wattisham and they have turned it down.. :angrysoapbox.sml:

would have been nice to send it home to the last Phantom base.

such a shame as this was one of the two display F4's back in 92 (XV393 ended its days at Marham and was scrapped on site)

perhaps someone will come to its rescue and preserve it but knowing this country i feel that's its days are numbered. :crying:

Cheers,

Neil

is.jpg

It will go for scrap, no doubt about it. F4's have a no resale clause from the original purchase agreement and they also come under the original SALT which means, by by F4. A job lot of a F4's went to a scrappy in Essex, he then resold them, got found out, got his butt kicked and rumour has it that he was then removed from MOD scrappy list for some time, and had to make a massive loss on a scrap deal to get back on the list, as I say, rumour control that one. Also, St Athan scrapped their F4 gate guard this year in a couple of days, none of it has been seen since.

Bex

A job lot of a F4's went to a scrappy in Essex, he then resold them, got found out, got his butt kicked and rumour has it that he was then removed from MOD scrappy list for some time, and had to make a massive loss on a scrap deal to get back on the list, as I say, rumour control that one.

That was Hanningfield Metals knicked bought many a Phantom bit from them back in 92. He applied for planning permission to mount the Tiger Phantom outside his yard on a ple....refused of course.

Sadly I agree, this one will go the same way. Newark could do with one though.

I read somewhere that the late Hanna guy owns a FGR2

Youre quite correct Sean, the Hanna family did own one, with plans to fly it, as Ray (I think that was the dad) was an ex Phantom driver, but ofcourse, sad events took its toll on the Hanna family. Where this particular complete Phantom is now I dont know.

Bex

I read somewhere that the late Hanna guy owns a FGR2

Plus theres a car dealer who wns one

This is the FGR.2 Phantom owned by the Old flying machine Company at Duxford. Not sure about Ray but Mark flew the Phantom. It is run up every now and again, but it will never fly again sadly.

Also the car dealer may be Porsche of cambridge but that was the same Phantom decked out for some advertising stuff and not owned by them. No other car dealers have had dealings with Phantoms.

This is the FGR.2 Phantom owned by the Old flying machine Company at Duxford. Not sure about Ray but Mark flew the Phantom. It is run up every now and again, but it will never fly again sadly.

Also the car dealer may be Porsche of cambridge but that was the same Phantom decked out for some advertising stuff and not owned by them. No other car dealers have had dealings with Phantoms.

Thanks Gary, always get the Hanna's muddled up.

Bex

:crying: ......sweethearts.

Mental, I'm in for a ton....come on folks....we can put in my garden, I'll look after it. You can all visit whenever you want to.

Sorry, fainted.