1/700 Kamikawa maru seaplane tender...

sunshine coast

Can I join in with a little one to build on my at work,work bench ....?

I have quite a few 700th Pacific war kits that need building and I thought this one would be a straight forward project ...

Kamikawa maru was of 4 ex cargo sister ships converted to seaplane tender..deployed China,Malaya,Midway and Solomon Isles eventually sunk May 1943 off New Ireland by US Sub Scamp.....

6153040868_de17135087_z.jpg

6153043802_38882b0506_z.jpg

Regards Trevor .... :D

Edited by sunshine coast

Great choice, and welcome!

Wish I had time and guts to start my Akitsushima kit. I love tenders and other less known ships.

Just ordered the new Hasegawa Hikawa Maru, but it will certainly be to late for the GB, and I'm starting to doubt that I even will finish my Repulse.:(

thank you for the welcome ....catching up on some lost time,with my modelling ...

I also like the oddball ships ,always was drawn towards the unusual looks of some of the Japanese craft ..and the clever simplicity of a lot of the conversions ..only thing with 700th is trying not to sneeze when building...... some bits are just sooooooo small :o

Regards Trevor ... :D

Looking forward to seeing this complete. B)

I haven't seen many of these kits actually built as it has a whopper of an error!

Apparently Pit-Road mixed up the length post to post with the length overall and the kit came out some 15mm short! :blink:

Anyway, here's a link to a site run by a guy called Motoyuki Iwashige: Let's just say he's a bit of a fan of Japanese merchants!

Here's his entry for the Kamikawa Maru.

Mike. :)

Thanks Mike ...but what is 30+ feet between friends .... :o:D

these models,or parts of,have been used as a basis for a lot of different ships and as such serve a purpose ...I certainly would not be building this if a kit was not available ..so I will put up with the faults.....and I also found Motoyukis' site a while ago ..but thanks for the link anyway .......it is a mine of inspiration ....just wish I could read Japanese !!

bit more done ....a blast of paint soon ...then out with the artists oils ..and the string for rigging .. :unsure:

6155595238_6535c0d447_z.jpg

Regards Trevor... :D

Thanks Mike ...but what is 30+ feet between friends .... :o:D

these models,or parts of,have been used as a basis for a lot of different ships and as such serve a purpose ...I certainly would not be building this if a kit was not available ..so I will put up with the faults.....and I also found Motoyukis' site a while ago ..but thanks for the link anyway .......it is a mine of inspiration ....just wish I could read Japanese !!

No worries Trev! B)

If you haven't already had a go, try running the site through google translate. What comes out is a bit idiosyncratic, but it's easy enough to make out what's intended.

Mike. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have not deserted this project ...just got distracted ... :unsure:

some more progress .....painting 1/700 aircraft ..must be mad !!

and the ship has not been repainted blue ..it is actually grey ...just a very"blue" daylight bulb that shows up on photos ...must replace it .. :angry:

6220857839_89b773c77b_z.jpg

Weathering and rigging next ... :)

Edited by sunshine coast

Oh yes, very sweet. I've been reading about seaplane tenders a lot lately. They were a fascinating alternative to aircraft carriers on both sides of the conflict. Seaplanes were so elegant too in my view.

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

Looking very nice indeed Trevor and it is really nice to see something a bit different in the Group Builds. :)

As an aside, can anyone tell me what Maru means please? It obviously crops up a lot in Japanese ship names ('scuse my ignorance!).

Cheers

Cliff

As an aside, can anyone tell me what Maru means please? It obviously crops up a lot in Japanese ship names ('scuse my ignorance!).

Cheers

Cliff

The word maru (丸 meaning "circle"?) is often attached to Japanese ship names. The first ship known to follow this convention was the Nippon Maru, flagship of daimyo Toyotomi Hideyoshi's 16th century fleet. There are several theories which purport to explain this practice:

The most common is that ships were thought of as floating castles, and the word referred to the defensive "circles" or maru that protected the castle.

That the suffix -maru is often applied to words representing something that is beloved, and sailors applied this suffix to their ships.

That the term maru is used in divination and represents perfection or completeness, or the ship as a small world of its own.

A legend of Hakudo Maru, a celestial being that came to earth and taught humans how to build ships. It is said that the name maru is attached to a ship to secure celestial protection for it as it travels.

For the past few centuries, only non-warships bore the maru ending. It was intended to be used as a good hope naming convention that would allow the ship to leave port, travel the world, and return safely to home port: hence the complete circle arriving back to its origin unhurt.

Today commercial and private ships are still named using this convention.

[Wikipedia]

Really enjoying this thread. Brings back some good modelling memories and you work is very very good.

I have a few more Japanese ship kits ....Oh! about 30.. :rolleyes: ..so I shall try to do another to complement this one while the GB is on ....

Thanks for the encouragement ...