Harrier GR5

Harry Lime

Looking good Mark

Thanks Mish.

Great to see it going again Mark, you right with removing the Strengthening, I spent a long time trying to work it out for my AV8B build and found that the GR5 had all become GR7 before they found the fatigue issue and added the stengthening.

Phil

Funnily enough, it was following your AV8B build that had me reaching for the references and scouring them for pics of the rear fuselage, so thanks for that! It is one of those little details that if I'd found out after I'd finished the build, it would have bugged the bejesus out of me.

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening All,

Had a bit of time to myself today so I've moved a few builds along. This build has now been given a quick coat of matt green and that's thrown up a few blemishes/snags that'll need my attention over the next few days.

P2150198.jpg

After my first go at this kit, I decided to tone down the panel lines on the nose section. I smeared some Milliput over them, gave it a few minutes then used a damp cotton bud to wipe it off. This left a much shallower impression of the panel lines that I hoped would not be as 'loud' as on my previous build.

P2150202.jpg

P2150203.jpg

Hey Presto, it seems to have worked!

Like I said, I've got a few things to tidy up before I crack out the topcoat colours, but it feels good to get this project moving along again!

Mark.

That's coming on nicely now Mark, good idea with the miliput I was thinking about trying to fill the lines on the next one I do, and the FRS1 and FA2 as well. I was thinking Mr Surfacer 500 but miliput might be a better shout.

You went with enamels then? I can see some tins of humbrol in the back ground!

Phil

Nice to see progress on this one again Mark. Green Harrier's seem to be out of fashion at the moment so this one will look a bit different once you get the main colour on.

Can't see why green is out of vogue, I think it was the best scheme the Harrier wore!

Absolutely! Got a 4Sqn. bird planned to sit alongside a Hunter and perhaps the new Hawk T.2 someday.

Absolutely! Got a 4Sqn. bird planned to sit alongside a Hunter and perhaps the new Hawk T.2 someday.

Just make sure it's the one with the coloured tail fin, it looks the nuts! I might do the anniversary GR9 from the Airframe Decals retirement sheet before the year is out if I'm not bored of Harriers by then....

Just a little further progress over the last couple of days as time between shifts has been limited, but I've got the ejector seat finished and detailed. It's the Airwaves (now OOP) resin one and it features some very finely cast details. I sprayed it matt black overall and picked out various details in different colours as per the pics I downloaded from Martin Baker's website of the Mk.12 seat. Finally, I added the handle from painted fuse wire and the warning/data placards on the sides of the head box from an Eduard coloured etch set.

P2190205.jpg

P2190208.jpg

P2190211.jpg

I've also cleaned up the pylons and the airbrake ready for painting and I've assembled the canopy ready for painting too. I aim to have this painted before the week is out as my shift pattern at work is a bit better this week.

Mark.

Looking really nice, Mark! I've got this one in my stash as well, along with the new tool Sea Harrier. I must get to them soon! Can't wait to see your finished model - I like the green scheme as well.

Cheers,

Bill

• 3 months later...

Evening All,

Bit of a thread ressurection here! I took advantage of the long weekend to crack out the airbrush and finally got around to spraying my Harrier GR5. Tha masking took longer than the actual spraying....

P6050341.jpg

P6050343.jpg

The 2 tone green scheme looks the nuts, but the 2 tone grey is soooooooo much easier to mask.

P6050347.jpg

P6050352.jpg

A couple of shots of the now painted airframe, including the toned down panel lines on the nose section. A lot easier on the eye I think.

Decals should be on over the weekend....

Mark.