Antonov @ Waddo this Tuesday!

geedubelyer

Hi guys,

I've been unofficially told by a friend of mine that the Antonov transport (don't know quite which one but a big one :blush: )

is due to arrive at RAF Waddington this Tuesday (18/12/07) at 08:00hrs and then depart at midday.

Apparently, they must close the A15 trunk road while the beast taxiis past as the wing tip overhangs the perimeter fence :blink:

I believe it's there to collect Nimrod parts.

Thought you might like to know in case anyone wants piccies. :pilot:

(If you are travelling a long way it might be worth verifying things before you set off.)

Hi guys,

I've been unofficially told by a friend of mine that the Antonov transport (don't know quite which one but a big one :blush: )

is due to arrive at RAF Waddington this Tuesday (18/12/07) at 08:00hrs and then depart at midday.

Apparently, they must close the A15 trunk road while the beast taxiis past as the wing tip overhangs the perimeter fence :blink:

I believe it's there to collect Nimrod parts.

Thought you might like to know in case anyone wants piccies. :pilot:

(If you are travelling a long way it might be worth verifying things before you set off.)

So did you get to see it today at that time? :evil_laugh:

I heard something on BBC Lincolnshire about they were going to close the A15 this morning, i thought it unusual they broadcast that because they normally do anyway for the AWACS, it's only red flashing crossing lights :o

and... it's not their largest...

The beastie with 6 engines is a big muvva........... Prestwick gets em both now and again. Who'd of thought we'd see a Roooooskie plane in Waddo, wierd huh?

Bex

Nice picture Chris

I'd love to have a look at the AN-225. That is a big plane :analintruder:

Craig.

Edited by Craig

So did you get to see it today at that time? :evil_laugh:
Nah, I was in another part of the county but, I did see 8 Typhoons depart within minutes of one another,...one with full afterburner :analintruder: ..very impressive.
I heard something on BBC Lincolnshire about they were going to close the A15 this morning, i thought it unusual they broadcast that because they normally do anyway for the AWACS, it's only red flashing crossing lights :o

They certainly stop traffic using the red lights while aircraft land . From what I can gather, this was for much longer while the big beast was taxiing. Apparently, according to (~best Smashy and Nicey voice~) Lincs FM, the wing was so long it overhung the perimeter fence so the road was closed as a precaution. I bet all of the inbound commuter traffic loved that!!

I saw a program the other night on Sky about this plane.

It was specifically designed to carry the Buran (Russian Space Shuttle) but when the program got canceled the plane got dumped at the Antinov factory and left to fall apart outside and to be canabilised for spares.

When they started looking into heavy freight services they decided to re-build the plane, Get it certified and use it for cargo use.

Seeing the state of it when they recovered it from the airfield it looked past it but I guess it was alright under all the dirt. I believe they used newer engines and upgraded all the electronics systems to modern spec.

Interesting program.

AN 225 details

Craig.

Edited by Craig

OMG, that thing is almost as wide as an American football field is long. It can carry more than half a million pounds of Cargo. Bloody 'ell. Thanks for the link BTW