Thunderbolt MkII

My other entry in this GB will be Revell's offering adorned with markings from Rising Decals SEAC Fighters sheet.

I won't be starting until the end of the month until I can fund these 2 builds (I'm also building a MkI), but here's the one I'll be doing,

P9110165.jpg

P9110168.jpg

I'm looking forward to the end of the month now!

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening All,

I decided to make myself pack lunches for a week and spend my lunch money on the Revell P-47 instead. For the money, this kit is awesome! I'll post up progress pics once I've made some sort of progress. In the meantime, the obligatory box/sprue shot,

P9190028.jpg

I'm off to make a start!

Mark.

Enjoy those sandwiches 'cause that looks like money well spent Mark.

Mmmmn, yum!

Looks a good kit Harry. Will be following.

Well I've been following everyone else's, so I think I've garnered enough tips to do a half decent job!

I've managed a little work tidying up the cockpit parts, ready to crack out the airbrush before work tomorrow. However, I've found that my decal sheet numbers don't match the instructions. This now means I can't spend a week lovingly applying all the stencils in their rightful places, gutted!

For the money, this kit is crammed full of detail. It's just unfortunate that my example is riddled with flash.

An update with pics will appear when I get a little more work done.

Mark.

Afternoon All,

Managed to get some quality time with the airbrush and some plastic over the last couple of days. For this build, I've got the wheel wells sprayed and the cockpit parts as well. Detail painting on the wells is done, just need to dirty them up with a wash later on. Over the weekend, I'll be doing the detail painting in the cockpit. I've also decided to scratchbuild a replacement seat as I'm not happy with the kit one when compared to references. Speaking of references, my copy of Geoff Thomas' RAF Thunderbolts arrived today. Good job I didn't get this sooner or I'd be doing about 5 or 6 builds for this!

P9230037.jpg

P9230038.jpg

P9230040.jpg

The kit cockpit details come up well after a quick blast with Humbrol 117, no need for aftermarket stuff here to get a pretty detailed pit.

P9230039.jpg

The same can be said of the wheel wells after a quick coat of Humbrol 81. Retraction jacks picked out with a fine brush, only the dirty wash to apply.

I'm glad to have got going on this one at last, now I'm looking forward to getting it finished already!

Mark.

Looks a good one, nice detail for 1/72 cant wait and see what it builds up like

wellzy :headphones:

It is pretty sweet, but factor in the price of only £5.50 and it becomes an awesome deal! It's not quite as refined as Tamiya, but it really isn't far off it.

Following with interest Mark.

I feel like the Pied Piper of Hamlyn!

Nice work Mark

Thanks for following.

Evening All,

Got a little time at the bench this afternoon, so managed to move this forward a little. First up, I applied a wash to the wheel wells to dirty them up. After that I started the detail painting in the cockpit.

P9250051.jpg

I first applied a brown wash to knock back the yellow and highlight the detail.

P9250054.jpg

Then I applied a black (well it's more of a very dark grey) around the retraction jacks as this area would be more likely to get really dirty. Tonight I'll paint the area behind the cartridge ejection chutes and get the wings assembled.

P9250047.jpg

P9250049.jpg

As you can see, I've picked out some of the cockpit details. I'll drybrush the instrument panel and then pick out the dial faces with Krystal Kleer. Once everything is in place, I'll trim the gun sight off and replace with some clear film. Tomorrow I'll get the detail painting finished and apply a wash to dirty things up a little.

That's all for now,

Mark.

Evening Harry,

Good work so far! Am a little further down the road with the same kit; it really is outstanding value for money isn't it? Although I think I am lucky in that mine doesn't have any flash at all . . .

Regards, Paul

Evening Harry,

Good work so far! Am a little further down the road with the same kit; it really is outstanding value for money isn't it? Although I think I am lucky in that mine doesn't have any flash at all . . .

Regards, Paul

Evening Paul,

Thanks for the comments. It is great value for money this one, it really is superbly detailed for a £5.50 kit! I've got to say you're a brave man using Academy decals, in my experience they're nothing but trouble. The problem with the flash is going to be a real PITA when I come to the engine, nay looking forward to that job.

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon All,

Managed a little time recently at the workbench. Got a little detail painting done on the cockpit parts, so should be able to finish that off this weekend.

PA080060.jpg

The instrument panel has come up a treat with some careful painting and drybrushing. I've gone the whole hog and used some Krystal Kleer to simulate the glass fronts of the various dials.

PA080062.jpg

PA080063.jpg

The sidewall detail really comes to life once you give it a little attention with a fine brush and some silver, red and white paint.

I'll apply a subtle wash to the recessed detail tomorrow and then I'll be able to assemble the fuselage.

Mark.

Nice work Mark

Thanks Mish!

PA100027.jpg

Just a tiny wee bit of progress to report on this one. Managed to get the fuselage together and the engine mount attached. It's easy to see why this one got the moniker it did, even in 1/72 it's mahoosive!

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning All,

Little bit of progress this week, so here's a quick update.

PB010063.jpg

Making a start on detail painting the engine, looks like it'll come up quite nicely with some careful painting.

PB020067.jpg

PB020068.jpg

And I've now got the wings on. Just a little touch of filler required at a couple of points on the wing joins but not a lot. Despit my one being being a bit flash ridden, it's gone together quite well.

Mark.

PB010063.jpg

Making a start on detail painting the engine, looks like it'll come up quite nicely with some careful painting.

Watching with interest. Very nice work on the cockpit and u/c bays.

What paint are you usin for the engine crankcase please? I've been looking for a reliable out-of-the-tin semi-gloss Engine Grey ever since my ancient tin of Precision dried up: yours looks to fit the bill.

Watching with interest. Very nice work on the cockpit and u/c bays.

What paint are you usin for the engine crankcase please? I've been looking for a reliable out-of-the-tin semi-gloss Engine Grey ever since my ancient tin of Precision dried up: yours looks to fit the bill.

Thanks for the comments. The paint I've used is Humbrol Gloss 5 Dark Admirality Grey. The selection process wasn't particularly scientific, I thought it looked a good match so I used it!

Nice to see you back at the workbench Mark :D

It's good to be back at the bench!