Boeing 720.

Neil

.Another quirk about working on the Boeing 707 (same for any Boeing) the manual for a -328 cant be used for working on a -351 or any other 707

I always understood that the 28 or 51 were Boeings numbering system for the particular airline using them - is that not the case then? But if it actually is, then apart from different options chosen by a particular airline, why would the 'manual' be so different? And isn't there more than one manual??

Just curious.

Keef

yes it is ^.....BA has a customer number too...the reason for the difference is not the basic structure of the aircraft; the internal fit will probably be different, avionics etc.

One of my favourite airline stories is somebody started an airline and bought a second hand DC9-30 and put it into service.

The airliner then grew so the owner then bought another pair of second hand DC9-30's, both from different sources...the engineering team who did the maintenance for this airline asked the owner what type of DC9-30's he had bought...the owner said, "Type? They are DC9-30's..."

When the the aircraft were delivered, the only thing that was the same between the three aircraft was the basic shell of them. Everything inside all three were different. It cost the owner more than the purchase price of all three to have them re-fitted to the same internal specs.

If he hadn not done so, the maintance costs would have rocketed becasue all three aircraft had been ordered by three different airlines originally and all three had different internal fittings.

• Like 1

If he hadn not done so, the maintance costs would have rocketed becasue all three aircraft had been ordered by three different airlines originally and all three had different internal fittings.

Hence my thought that there'd be more than one manual....!! I have the sme problem with my Mini - so many bitsa parts that one Haynes manual just won't do!!

Edited by keefr22

One of the 1st flight safety posters i saw when i joined up was "dont assume. check! If you ignore that statement,its at your peril. You'll be down a big hole with nowhere to go.I was working on a 707 .I checked my 1968 ish Ian Allan world Airliners reg. book to see who the original opperator was just for interest..A -351C,Northwest Orient I dug a manual out to start work and they had American Airlines stickers on the cover,it was a -323C manual.When i told the they had the wrong manuals and did they want me to use them.The 1st look of astonishment said it all.QA were called and someone got a bollocking.The books were Quarantined and we kicked our heels for a few hours 'till the right ones turned up. different mod states,opperators own designed system parts etc.anything could be different. You can only imagine the engine manual differences,luckily i'm not engines!

Hence my thought that there'd be more than one manual....!! I have the sme problem with my Mini - so many bitsa parts that one Haynes manual just won't do!!
There are different chapters for each subject/system.So chap.28 is fuel system,chap.57 wings and so on.Other chapters cover,fuselage,doors,windows,equipment furnishings,flying controls.To name a few.Maint.manual.The correct procedure to fit/remove components and function test instructions.Repair manual.Using the same chapter numbers EG chapter 57 wing repair schemes.Parts catalogue.Again using the chapter 57 is for locating and getting the part numbers for spare parts (right down to the smallest washer )fitted to the wings.Other manuals in the system are for servicing procedures EG. What needs to be checked/replenished on an after flight servicing etc.I sympathise with the Minimanuals btw.remember the haynes manual well! :banghead: Edited by bzn20