Bookshops in Australia

Paolo6691

Hi all

It is a month now I moved to Australia and it will be some time before I return home in Italy, I had a look around and I found Hylands bookshop here in Melbourne (and 3 model shops in the CBD, any other in the suburbs you can suggest?)

I usually use Amazon.co.uk and the seller that sell second hand books from the same site and the shipping price to Italy is quite reasonable, but it is quite a lot of money to have them sent here from the Uk (most of the time double or triple the price of the item I would like to buy).

I had a look around the internet but I didn't find anything do you have any suggestion?

I also love to browse bookshops so if you have any suggestion about some nice second hand and remainders book shop with an aeronautical twist in Melbourne, please let me know.

Looking forward to enjoy the time I will spend here in Australia drink.gif

Thanks

Cheers

Paolo

Paolo, Hylands is king for aviation and military books; there is nothing to compare in Melbourne, and probably not the whole of Australia. Actually, I should qualify that by saying that it looks like they might have moved already, so I don't know whether they've had to reduce stock to fit into a smaller location, or how it might compare now. I haven't been there for a couple of months, and at that time they had found a new home and were looking to move before Christmas. It's possible that it isn't quite the store it used to be, at least for the moment anyway.

Where abouts in Melbourne are you located? Most of the suburban hobby shops are not worth travelling too far for, and there are none that I know of that I would say are better than the CBD stores.

Kev

Paolo, Hylands is king for aviation and military books; there is nothing to compare in Melbourne, and probably not the whole of Australia. Actually, I should qualify that by saying that it looks like they might have moved already, so I don't know whether they've had to reduce stock to fit into a smaller location, or how it might compare now. I haven't been there for a couple of months, and at that time they had found a new home and were looking to move before Christmas. It's possible that it isn't quite the store it used to be, at least for the moment anyway.

Where abouts in Melbourne are you located? Most of the suburban hobby shops are not worth travelling too far for, and there are none that I know of that I would say are better than the CBD stores.

Kev

Well I think I shall be more clear , I enjoyed my visit to Hylands, and I found a lot of books I have or that are quite high in my "buy" list, the only problem with that visit was the price.

most probably I am accoustomed to the Uk market where the offer is quite huge, and I can buy plenty of not so recent titles at very good prices postage included. I hope there is something similar in Australia.

slighty off-topic, how one ask for a stout here in Oz, I asked one a week ago in a pub but they didn't get it quite right, I got a wonderful ale instead. :drink:

I am in clayton, I was mostly impressed by the shop close to flinder street station and the one in swanson street (victorian hobby?) , well in Rome it is the opposite it is the shops in the suburbs that are worthwile

Cheers Paolo

buonjourno Paolo Welcome to Australia, I hope you enjoy your time here. As big Kev has said Hylands is pretty much it for books in Melbourne. If you are travelling to Brisbane (and why wouldn't you!!)you may want t try a bookshop called "Napoleons Military Bookshop" http://www.militarybooks.com.au/index.html They do mail order as well. Out in the suburbs you have HobbyHQ http://www.tamiya-direct.com/list.php?mtype=specials in Reservoir and a few shops in the East, Models4You in Boronia and Box Hill Hobbies in..........Box Hill. The following link takes you to a directory of Oz Hobby Shops http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/shops.htm In addition you may want to post the same question over at www.aussiemodeller.com the forum there is rather slow but does have the benefit for you of talking to other ozzie modellers. If I can help you with anything else please drop me a line, and if you get homesick there is always Carlton!

Regards

Bruce

Thanks very much for your kind answers Kev and Bruce, I will pay another visit to Hylands then.

I am truly enjoying my time here and all the people I met were very kind.

about homesickness I am not feeling it at the moment, it is incredible how much european food you can get here in Australia, I also learnt that tomato sauce isn't the same as passata (you learn by mistakes , no?)

I enjoying huge balaklavas everytime I go to the cbd

by the way nobody answered my most important question, how does one ask for a stout here in Australia?

cheers

Paolo

A Sout??? You simply ask for one, the barmaid will go "you want a WHAT??" and you ask for one again!!! Not too many stout drinkers here in Australia, most people find them too "heavy" in the summer. You need to find one of the little boutique bars in the city laneways, you may have more luck there. Try Manchester Lane or St Jerome's Lane, or maybe one of the pommy or Irish pubs The Elephant & Wheelbarrow corner of Exhibition and Bourke, otherwise its Lagers or wines which most people favour

Regards

Bruce

A Sout??? You simply ask for one, the barmaid will go "you want a WHAT??" and you ask for one again!!!

Regards

Bruce

well thats exactly what happened to me, I have to say what I got ,even if it wasn't what I asked, was very good

time to try more pubs then

Cheers Paolo