1/72 SAAF Turbo Dak

Gajman

Thanks for your responses everyone.

TOPGUN88 has posted pics if his completed build of a SAAF turbo dak (( here ) and as I looked at it I thought what's he done with the windows!? So I had a quick check of my reference pics and aaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!! TOPGUN88 is right and I have made a horrible mistake. Thanks for posting your pics when you did TOPGUN ... I think :)

Fortunately it's not too late, I should have time to cut the new larger windows.

Goes to show that just collecting reference photos and putting them in a file doesn't help ... you've got to look at them some time :)

I'm off to Italy for the Venice marathon so will be away for a week but when I get back I'm going to have to knuckle down and get this build moving if I want to finish it in time for the GB closing date.

Gary

Edited by Gajman

I'm off to Italy for the Venice marathon so will be away for a week but when I get back I'm going to have to knuckle down and get this build moving if I want to finish it in time for the GB closing date.

Gary

Gary

This whole build feels like a marathon! Best of luck with the real one!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Things seem to have gone a bit quiet in this GB?

I'm back from Italy (the Venice marathon was okay, the main lesson I learnt from it was that it's true ... if you want to run a comfortable marathon you should train for it :) Although I tell you what, there were some really attractive women running in tight lycra or really short skirts ... they took my mind off my pain ... for as long as I could keep up with them that is :) ) and have started working on my Turbo Dak again.

I've got the new window structure complete and am hoping to get the resin engines on tonight.

I'll post some pics tonight.

Cheers

Gary

Edited by Gajman

Hi,

So, as a result of my earlier snafu as a result of not checking my references correctly I've had to fill in the windows down one side except for the two closest to the cargo doors. Then I had to make the last window more rectangular.

td1004.jpg

td1003.jpg

Then, using some spare clear plastic from a truck that never got finished I put the window in to the resulting gap. As the plastic was flat I glued it in so that it stood out from the fueslage and then had to sand it to match the curve of the fuselage. I've since micromeshed it so that it's nice and smooth.

td1001.jpg

And finally, I've added the engines.

td1002.jpg

The cargo doors have been added and as you can see I need to fill in the window that I incorrectly cut into the resin plug. Once I've filed the engines down so that the join is no longer visible I'll jave to do some small things like put the wing lights and the cockpit side windows in and then I can start painting and applying decals.

Thanks for looking.

Gary

Neat work Gary - should be a real looker when she is done. What markings will she have?

Andy

Thanks, I've got the SAAF 75th anniversary decals which will go on the grey / white colour scheme. I built a wrecked DC-3 a while back (broken dak) which I plan to put together with this one on a diorama entitled 'Anniversaries, not for everyone to celebrate'.

wow that extra window work is difficult to get right, you are very confident at scratchbuilding! She's going to be a beauty I can tell.

I think the one thing I've learnt from the many masterbuilders on this site is that if it goes wrong it's just plastic, try again :) Sadly it was looking good until I put the grey primer on and suddenly all these imperfections jumped out and mugged me :)

Gary

it was looking good until I put the grey primer on and suddenly all these imperfections jumped out and mugged me :)

That happens to me as well! I'm sure it's the paint.... :whistle:

So, taking a closer look at my reference photos I noticed that my windows were correct on the right hand side as well. So I've fixed those by adding another elongated window on that side.

I figured that while I was cutting away at the kit I may as well cut the rudder and rear wing thingies (ailerons?) because all the photos I have of these aircraft when parked have the right aileron down slightly, the left up slightly and the rudder slightly to the right. In fact the SAAF seem to have 'remove before flight' stops or whatever they're called that keep the ailerons and rudder in these position.

td1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Gary

Wow Gary

11th hour amendments! I salute you - I would have probably have done the same actually. Great job.

Andy

:) I did seriously think of pretending I never noticed where I'd gone wrong but the aileron/rudder thing has been bugging me for a while so I figured I may as well do the lot.

I've just finished masking it up and will load the airbrush with grey when the kids are finally put to bed.

Gary

Edited by Gajman

I figured that while I was cutting away at the kit I may as well cut the rudder and rear wing thingies (ailerons?)

Elevators is the word you're looking for! :P some amazing work going here Gary, would be shame to see it miss the cut ott of the 27th Nov. How is she coming along?

Elevators is the word you're looking for! :P some amazing work going here Gary, would be shame to see it miss the cut ott of the 27th Nov. How is she coming along?

Thanks for that :)

I've had some minor disasters. Used some new tape to mask the grey/white border and it didn't bed down as well as the tamiya tape I usually use. So I had some brey bleed over the white, so had to redo the white. I've also not been happy with the work around the edges of the new windows I cut, so have been trying to improve those, but as of last night, the white was repainted and I just have to smooth the filler round one window and repaint that section. I do have pics which I'll post tonight.

I know the deadline is rapdly approaching so I will be getting on with it. Tonight I will mask and paint the various black areas and I also need to start on the dreaded white metal props and spinners which will not be a pleasant task as there are no locating holes for the props to go into!!!! :mg:

But overall I think I am on track to have it finished in time ... he says optimistically :)

Cheers

Gary

Making a concerted effort now to get this finished.

Here's a pic of how the paint bled under the tape as mentioned in my post above. Sorry it's blurred but it gives you the idea.

tdf3.jpg

The paint scheme is now done. There is a metallic band around the engines in front of where the black starts which I need to add.

tdf1.jpg

tdf2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Gary

Looking great with some colour on her. Ah a shame about the paint bleeding under the tape, I think we've all been there and know how frustrating it is when it happens. The props with he red and white tips look good too. I assume they are for the kit as well...

Edited by rowmk9

Looking great with some colour on her. Ah a shame about the paint bleeding under the tape, I think we've all been there and know how frustrating it is when it happens. The props witht he red and white tips look good too (I assume they are for the kit as well...

Thanks, the props are for the kit. It's a case of 'good from far but far from good' :) I did my best to get the red and white strips even across all the propellers but of course that didn't happen.

I think it'll all look okay once it's put together ... time will tell.

Gary

I have to say that I think the turbo Dakota is one UGLY aircraft. But, your work is good.

Nooooo! How can you say that? :) I actually think that the additional length makes it look a bit more graceful than the standard dak. Thanks for the comment about my work.

Gary