AMT/ERTL 1/25 Ford Galaxie City of Troy PD (MI)

27 members have voted

1. 1. What entry would you pick?

• USCG HH-65
    • Ford Galaxie

Sep, 17th EDIT: This 1st post is a poll between two projects intended for this GB...Actual start is @ post no.11

Will leave poll opened thru the build, just for fun. B)

USCG HH-65

Trumpy kit

Interior from Cobra

Decals

C conversion

Main rotor blades

P5200972.jpg

Ford Galaxie

Hobby Heaven (AMT/ERTL) 1/25 '70 Ford Police Car

Straight OOB with a a few scratches here and there - have no reference or AM

P8110991.jpg

P8110992.jpg

I never modeled a car before and my last chopper was ... Uh I forgot... 1/72 Mi-24 some 15 years ago...

YOu have time to vote 'till September 17th... :popcorn:

Edited by splinter

Well, as the host I'd like to see models made with lots of aftermarket additions,

BUT I'd also like to see more land vehicles in this GB. . .

I don't know if I can choose!

• 2 weeks later...

@everyone peeking here,

Some time has passed (current poll votes are 7-10 against HH-65) and I decided to pull out of this GB ...

I doubt I could finished any of two kits until New Years Eve, especially considering my last full-AM-equipped model (Su-27 in 1:48 scale) was a flop and I never worked on a car before. I don't won't to give false hopes to anyone, especially not to myself. So, i think this is the best solution, before I even started.

I still consider myself a returnee to this hobby, and my main target is to get as much experience as possible in short period of time. I'll focus my modelling on finishing A310 in PIA colors (from Airlines GB last summer) and two F-106s I have on my bench.

I'll be peeking that Dodge interceptor for sure. And... I also ordered Eduard's PE set for HH-65. To confuse you even more... :P

Cheers, splinter

Yesterday in the evening I said I'll quit, but later in the night I had a disaster with my current project and while I was asleep, Lloyd (llking) wrote me a PM. Content isn't spectacular or something, he just offered some help, so considering my current frustration and his excellent skills I sad to myself: It can't get worse!

I'll post some sprue shots later in the day and scan the instructions.

I'm starting with Ford Galaxie :partytime:

Now, first thoughts and questions ...

If you look at the last pic, with the chromed sprue detail and red arrow - this is where I took glass fibre pen to test that layer of chrome - it went right off.

Since I need to remove those parts from sprue anyway, and then I'll get details WITHOUT chrome where the part was attached to the sprue, I was thinking of removing whole chrome layer ... And repainting it ...

Next thing are windows - you get front and rear window, and the link between 'em is visible from inside. NO side windows. First idea is to vacform everything. On the airliners in 1:144 you get clear windshield for cockpit and just holes for passenger cabin. I fill everythig with epoxy putty and use decals instead. But this is 1:25 scale and I'm not into cabrio variant.

Door handles (outer) are way too big... Sand them away and scratch new ones... Rain wiper are also moulded together with the body... would be quite happy to scratch 'em along the way...

I hope mrcooljules will be back to modelling soon ... (linky)

He already started to add some interior details, and I like that for sure ...

Although, I found some neat pics...Would be happy to confirm this light blue as "darker" color next to white... Could this be true?

Flickr 1 Flickr 2

Today I wrote an email to City of Troy PD, to see if they could help me with some references ... :innocent:

I took oven cleaner to strip chrome ...

P9201298.jpg

Some 20 min later it looked like this ...

P9201299.jpg

In the meantime I degreased other sprues ...

P9201300.jpg

Final stage for ex-chrome sprue

P9201301.jpg

I got PE from Eduard last week... :evil_laugh:

P9211323.jpg

Yesterday I started with dryfitting the engine block... Feels quite heavy... Has some sink marks to be filled with putty...

P9261372.jpg

P9261373.jpg

P9261374.jpg

P9261375.jpg

P9261376.jpg

P9261377.jpg

This will be a headache, but.. I have an idea... Hopefully it will work...

P9261378.jpg

P9261363.jpg

P9261365.jpg

P9261366.jpg

Now, how to paint the engine - what parts should have what colour?

Another problem are these gaps above the wheels... Thinking about filling them with styrene... Instructions say metal axis should go thru the holes but rear holes are inverted "U" - will do something about them, too...

P9261368.jpg

P9261369.jpg

P9261371.jpg

I just hate when the seam line goes halfway thru ribs (like flexible pipe between the engine and the cooler)

P9261362.jpg

So I sanded it...

P9261379.jpg

And took a piece of copper wire (0.2 mm)

P9261380.jpg

P9261381.jpg

P9261382.jpg

Coming along nicely Splinter.

Good to see you got rid of the rubbishy chrome.

The motor has build up well & that distributor is crying out for some spark plug leads.

Today I wrote an email to City of Troy PD, to see if they could help me with some references ...

Did you get a reply?

:cheers:

The motor has build up well & that distributor is crying out for some spark plug leads.

Did you get a reply?

Like this? From coil to distributor centre and then from distributor to cylinder head? My car mechanic is on holidays ... :oops:

I could do this, but will take some time ...

P9261373_3.jpg

Did you get a reply?

No answer so far... Neither in my mailbox nor on their Facebook wall....