Thunderbolt Mk II 'Honeysuckle Rose'

Evening all,

am beginning to get into this group build thing! Anyway, standard pics of sprues etc. Kit is the extremely good value for money Revell version, which, as I understand it, runs a very close second to the much more expensive Tamiya kit. The sharp eyed will see the extra props which I have nabbed from the not-so-hot academy kit; I am not very clued up on the P-47, and I'm not sure what prop to use for a SEAC Thunderbolt. I am going to use the some of the Academy decals for this camouflaged scheme. I know there are many more flamboyant schemes for the P-47, but being now an almost exclusive RAF modeller this is a scheme I don't currently have in my collection. Anyway, more updates in due course!

Paul

P9050360.jpg

P9050361.jpg

P9050362.jpg

Edited by PaulR

Look forward to these. I'm about to embark on the pair I have planned. As for the props, most pics I have in my books show hamilton standard on RAF SEAC (but paddle Curtiss electric ones are also visible) like the one you liberated from the Academy kit. A better one is the Aeroclub Cat No Po51 I think! The pointy Curtiss ones don't seem to appear on RAF ones very much though. In any case most props seemed to be interchanged so it could be right whichever you use.

Look forward to these. I'm about to embark on the pair I have planned. As for the props, most pics I have in my books show hamilton standard on RAF SEAC (but paddle Curtiss electric ones are also visible) like the one you liberated from the Academy kit. A better one is the Aeroclub Cat No Po51 I think! The pointy Curtiss ones don't seem to appear on RAF ones very much though. In any case most props seemed to be interchanged so it could be right whichever you use.

There are plenty of pictures of Curtiss Electric prop' equipped aircraft in Geoff Thomas' book on RAF Thunderbolts BUT, "Honeysuckle Rose" KW-R of 615Sqn (RAF Ser No HD269/USAAF Ser No 42-26749) was a P47D-25-RE which was equipped with a Hamilton Standard prop.

Wez

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all!

Thought I'd better get a move on, so here are a couple or three pics to show progress. I've put the major parts of the airframe together, and painted lots of the fiddly bits like the prop, cockpit and so on. I've used tamiya paints for the cockpit (XF-58 green) and yellow/green (XF-4) for wheel wells etc, and Vallejo oily steel for gear legs, engine etc. I am really impressed with the detail Revell has managed to cram in, as well as the fit of the parts; for the price it's an absolute steal. The only bit of aftermarket I have resorted to is the Squadron vacform canopy; while the shape of the kit one is good, there was some distortion. I've futured the canopy ready to cut out, and that's about it really. Next steps are too give all the completed sections a pin wash with oils and a drybrush, Then to get it all together!

P9200370.jpg

P9200369.jpg

P9200368.jpg

Paul

Evening all!

Seeing all the superb work on this group build has provided a great impetus to get on with mine! Just one photo tonight; I've added wine foil seatbelts and closed up the fuselage. I have also painted the wheels and finished off the undercarriage, so basically it is now on to clean-up and prime. I have really enjoyed this kit; it is the first kit in absolutely ages where I haven't used filler, and the engineering is very clever, especially for the price. F'instance, the tailwheel assembly is able to be added after the fuselage is closed up and painting is completed, which eliminates awkward masking. The only aftermarket I've gone for is the Squadron vacform canopy, which is as we speak taped down and drying. More later!

Regards, Paul

P9250375-1.jpg

Edited by PaulR

Evening all!

Been fixing the vacform canopy. Generally an excellent fit, but with a tiny but perceptible ridge were the windscreen touches the fuselage. I filled this with white milliput to smooth this off; here are a couple of photos of that process. Now, I am by no means an expert modeller, but it always raises a bemused eyebrow when I see people apply filler with what looks like a trowel and then complain about the amount of sanding and rescribing. To me, less filler = less hassle, so . . .

I add masking tape around the area to be filled;

P9270377-1.jpg

apply the minimum amount of filler and smooth off with a wetwipe, the second most useful accessory apart from Tamiya masking tape.

P9270378-1.jpg

Removal of the tape shows a virtually finished application of filler with only the bare minimum of sanding to do... at least, that's the plan!

More updates this weekend.

Regards, Paul

Evening Paul,

That looks like it builds up into a good looking Thunderbolt in the end. Yours certainly looks a lot less flash ridden than mine! I use a similar filling technique around awkward areas too, it vastly reduces the amount sanding. If I'm really lucky, I'll get it so there's no sanding required at all.

Looking forward to seeing this finished now,

Mark.

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

have somewhat neglected this build due to illness, school camps etc, but here is a quick update. Basically all done bar final camo scheme; I've sprayed the white stripes and masked them off; I have just now sprayed the medium sea grey undersides, but more pics of that tomorrow when it has dried!

PB060391.jpg

Regards, Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Better get a shift on!

Final camo on and onto the decals. Despite dire warnings, the Academy decals performed much better than I expected. Final weathering and final photos to follow asap!

PaulPB110393-1.jpg

PB120398.jpg