1/144 747-400

vivkulan

Revell is the only kit available, well I tell a lie.... there was a kit released some years ago by Trumpeter/Kangnam and it was attrocious. It barely resembled a 747.

So Revell is it, it has issues, some of which can easily be corrected.

I am sure the experts will chime in shortly...

Builds into a nice model. Fit of some of the parts wasn't marvellous!! - that perennial bug bear being the underfuselage insert!! :angrysoapbox.sml: However, nothing that a little patience and TLC won't fix.

Buy it - you won't be disappointed.

Revell is the only kit available, well I tell a lie.... there was a kit released some years ago by Trumpeter/Kangnam and it was attrocious. It barely resembled a 747.

So Revell is it, it has issues, some of which can easily be corrected.

I am sure the experts will chime in shortly...

adding to Ray's list above there are the Nitto, Doyusa, and Kepuan boxings of this same piece of puss that could probably be turned into a 1/48 F14 more easily than any kind of 747.

Yes I agree with the above... the belly panel is a nightmare so I reinforced the area with plastic strip on my builds as it helps get a strong join and stops the panel 'falling in'.

Also, on every one I've built the fuselage undercarriage legs are about 2mm too short, so I add an insert into the wheel bay before attaching the undercarriage.

Saying that, on the whole it's a nice kit - here are three of my examples:

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

Boeing747-400Qantas.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just saw the new Dragon kit in Hong Kong a couple of days ago. Looks very nice, lots of cutaway bits and interior. I think it worked out to about £30 there so probably at least £40 here i expect.

Tom, your 747's look stunning. How did you acheive the flaps down effect. Did you have a donar kit or you fabricated it using styrene?

I stratch built them using styrene... it wasn't as tricky as it looks!

wow - this is an i/m kit ?

It's either a -300 or a -400D....right wing has the winglet, left doesnt....

not quite sure about the wing root fairing just in front of the wing but maybe thats just the pic...

anymore pics available?

Got the pic from the Tokyo Trade Show - I found it following on from a link to a 1/72 Saturn 5 posted elsewhere on this site. I've seen a pic showing a corner of the box artwork which says 400D.

Airliner Cafe has this kit as a Chinese Govt example! Added to which they already make a ready assembled Braniff Big Orange Classic!!!!

Lets hope there's more to come :)

the -400D doesnt have winglets but it doesnt have the trailing antennae either :)

...and the Japanese Govt aircraft are standard -400's with winglets

400D box maybe for another incarnation of the kit?

Or maybe I imagined it!

:wacko:

Shouldn't be tricky for them to do... it just needs a shorter wing minus the winglets.

It's either a -300 or a -400D....right wing has the winglet, left doesnt....

It is just because of the camera angle. Even in the above poster/picture, the winglet seems absent, though if you look closely, it is really there.

One detail :

While the wing landing gear is properly and nicely done with the double calipers, it does not have the angle folded door.

What do you think about the wheels ? Too narrow ?

Edited by AV O

It is just because of the camera angle. Even in the above poster/picture, the winglet seems absent, though if you look closely, it is really there.

duuuhhhhh.......now I've been told, it's bleedin' obvious.....why didnt I think of that

the price will keep one out of my reach I guess but if anything needed work (like gear doors etc) I'm sure I would.....:)