My Entry: Dornier Do24T

My entry for this GB is this:

Dornier001.jpg

It's a Revell 1/72 Dornier Do24T, to be built OOB as an aircraft of Seenotstaffel 7, based at Sebastopol in 1943,

to carry out air-sea rescue duties in the Black Sea.

Here are the sprue shot

Dornier003.jpg

and the plans/decals

Dornier002.jpg

Now champing at the bit to get going, can't wait for next Thursday!

Edited to correct a typo!

Edited by MadNurseGaz

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a start!

And to prove it here are the photos. . .

Dornier004.jpg

Cockpit and seats in RLM Grau 02 and

Dornier005.jpg

the visible areas of the hull interior in the same colour.

Paint so far is Revell enamel.

This kit seems to have simple construction of the main parts of the airframe, with lots of small detail parts to add,

so progress may be fairly quick. . .

Also, this is the first kit I've ever built where the instructions actually tell the builder to use filler. It's on the wings

where the centre section meets the wing surfaces, "Close openings with putty and sand down surface"

More when there's progress. . .

Be careful with the turrents. The instructions have them reversed.

RYAN.

Thanks for the heads-up, Ryan. All three turrets have different diameters(!) :hmmm: , so positioning them

isn't an issue, you can't go wrong, but the destructions do indeed have them reversed. . .

Anyway I have a bit of progress: the wings are assembled, and the fuselage is closed up! Here's a pic to prove it!

Dornier.jpg

right, now, fill, sand, fill, sand. . .

• 4 weeks later...

It's a while since I posted anything about this build (too busy watching everybody's GB builds!) so here's a

little progress report.

The camouflage scheme on this aircraft uses the Luftwaffe's maritime greens, RLM72 and RLM73, which are only

available from White Ensign as ready-mixed paints. So, syringes and egg-cups out, surf the net for info, and on

Peter's Planes (http://petersplanes.com/links.htm) I found a spreadsheet with lots of paint mixes for lots of colours.

Claimed as sourced from ATF, RLM73 is obtained from 6xHu149+1xHu15, and RLM72 from 6xHu116+1xHu15. OK,

we can proceed...

Because of the construction of this aircraft with its parasol wing, the fuselage area under the wing and the wing undersurface

over the fuselage need to be painted before mounting the wing. Luckily that part of the fuselage is only RLM73 with no patterning

of RLM72. So that's where we're up to-fuselage top in RLM73, wing bottom in RLM65, a coat of RLM73 on the wing (because I had the paint mixed. . .)

002-6.jpg

003-5.jpg

Next, when the paint's dry comes the airframe assembly. . . :yikes:

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't looking forward to this part of the build. As you may be aware, the wing of the Do24 is mounted on struts above the fuselage. A pylon

like the Catalina would make things so much easier. . .

Anyhoo, after thinking about the job, I concluded that the way to approach the job was to attach the central struts to the wing, like this:

002-7.jpg

001-6.jpg

The reason for this is that all the struts have positive location sockets in the wing, but only one has a slot in the fuselage to fit into, the others just rest on

top of the fuselage. Then, using Revell Contacta Special contact adhesive, the wing was attached to the fuselage, and finally the outboard struts fitted between

the sponsons and the wing. With everything in position, the wing pretty well aligns itself automatically, so I've now got this:

004-6.jpg

And here's a better view of the struts. . .

005-2.jpg

The flash in the pictures has really bleached out the camouflage, the model is much darker than in those photos!

That's a powerful looking plane Gaz :)

Have you thought how you are going to display it? Waterline would be good!

Cheers

Cliff

Thanks, Cliff.

If my meagre skills would allow me to produce a seascape base, I would have loved to pose the model taking off, and "up on the step", but I've tried stuff like that before. . .