SPittie Mk 21conversion

Mike in Aotearoa

Kia Ora all

I know the Aeroclub conversion is out there for using the Airfix wings to make a Mk21, but could the Academy kit be used with the same nett result?

I have some left-over u/c doors and other sundry stuff, so it'd pretty much be a case of using the fuselage, prop etc.

Or am I being too simplistic and naive about this?! :analintruder:

Cheers from Aotearoa

Mike

Kia Ora all

I know the Aeroclub conversion is out there for using the Airfix wings to make a Mk21, but could the Academy kit be used with the same nett result?

Mike... it's not just ANY Airfix Spitfire wings. You have to use the non-folding set from the Seafire 47 kit. These are a different shape from earlier Marks. The Spit 22/24 kit would do as well, but then you couldn't build it. Aeroclub do two sets - one just the fuselage to use with the 22/4, and one with copies of the cockpit parts in white metal and plastic tailplanes, flaps spinner etc if you want to use just the wings from the 47.

You can see here that the wing is a different shape from a "classic" Spit:

Image-8DF7F18BCBDD11DA.jpg

bestest,

M.

The fuselage, for the 21, was identical to the XIV, if only the Academy kit was accurate, but the fuselage is wrong, around the nose, and the prop isn't too brilliant. Apparently KMC supply a correction set (48-4021,) but that'll make the whole thing expensive. Aeroclub's conversion has been engineered around the Airfix wings, and whether the fit would be the same, with the Academy fuselage..........? If you're considering a contra-prop version, you'll need a rudder, for an XVIII, too.

Edgar

Another idea I've been playing with is to use the nose from the Airfix kit as well as the wings and gear, and then the ICM fuselage. The Aeroclub conversion has very soft details, and he crossection of the spine behind the cockpit looks a little too rounded for me. The ICM kit is a tad sharp, but you can get a Squadron canopy that will provide you with an alternative of "kit" or corrected by adding 0.5 mm plastic in between the two fuselage halves just aft of the cockpit. Of course you will then need to scratchbuild a larger fin and rudder on the spine and maybe it would be less work involved chopping up an ICM fuselage that also has a decent (though not perfect) cockpit. ICM has got nice elevators though. As this is all in the planning stage so far, I have no idea if the Airfix nose will fit the ICM kit, but at least the ICM kits can be found cheap.

Jens