1/32 Revell F-4E Phantom II

Alan P

Hi folks, been away a while.

Back again to answer the call that we need more Phantoms!

The Flightpath set is interesting as it supplies new PE wheelwells, jetpipes and nozzles, stabilator slats, metal gear legs and new correctly sized wheels. It doesn't contain any cockpit details as they were going to release a separate set but didn't do it in the end. Also using True Details seats, Eduard placard set, and AMS Resins nose (on order!)

Also will be using IsraDecals stencils - these stencils are scaled for the Tamiya kits, so may turn out too much trouble. The project I have in mind didn't have that many stencils anyway! I intend to model the Ramstein-based F-4E in wraparound SEA Lizard camo that I saw at the RAF Greenham Common International Air Tattoo in 1983 with the world's biggest sharkmouth on it!

Alan

Started the pit sidewall details and seat back area - all plastic card and lead wire so far:

IMAG0215.jpg

The Flightpath wheelwells look so much better than the kit version!

IMAG0213.jpg

After detailing with lead wire and foil :)

This shows how much interference there is with the cockpit floor, I had to remove most of it...

IMAG0214.jpg

I also had to remove an area each side of the gun housing to get it to fit! I think it's worth the trouble, but it will have to be mounted on a mirror not to waste the work!

IMAG0216.jpg

The Dremel was busy again getting the main gear wells ready to fit.

I'm glad I'm not cutting up the Tamiya kit!

I made this one some years ago - bargin at the price. But i found the panel lines very shallow and didn't hold the wash at all well (despite all the tricks of the trade). You might want to re-scribe some of them now before you start putting the bigger parts together? (The main spine will probably need a re-scribe after you join the 2 halves together)

great start, i'm impressesed with the cockpit detail.

Hi Al,

Great start with the nose wheel well :thumbsup2: . You might be interested to know that the kit cockpit sits too low anyway - especially the rear one!. There's a very useful set of improvements listed on Large Scale Planes, which allows you to add detail as you wish:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/Marketplac.../RevellF-4E.php

One of the most important upgrades is to the nose. This is far too pointy and just looks off if left 'as is'. The AMS resin nose is great - it really improves the look of the front fuselage. I think it's a measure of the effect this has, Spruebrothers sell out as soon as they stock them!. An alternative is the Tamiya F-4E nose (which is the basis for the AMS one). Make sure you cut the nose sections before you join the nose halves as you have to remove a small section to match the nose profile. Another worthwhile update is the pitot tube from Hobbydecal:

http://store.spruebrothers.com/132-hobbyde...2v1-p20414.aspx

I also recommend you attach the front and aft fuselage sections before joining the two halves, I found that you get a better fit and don't need as much filler to eliminate any seams.

Look forward to seeing progress on this.

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, and thank you for the encouraging comments so far.

I'm really pleased with how the cockpit panels are turning out - all of this is out of the box and pretty good so far. It's a shame the kit didn't provide more of this kind of detail in the cockpit.

Front

IMAG0267.jpg

Back

IMAG0266.jpg

The only extra additions are pieces of polarized plastic for the radar screens.

Back seat with sidewall details and circuit breaker panel, all scratchbuilt:

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

Front seat

IMAG0272.jpg

Still plenty of detail to go into this! The kit doesn't give landing gear lever, sidewall detail, any cockpit sills or canopy detail at all....

I'm also pushing forward with the Flightpath wheelwells, and the main gear ones are causing me a bit of headscratching - I've ended up partially assembling them and trying to fit the wing halves together, hopefully that will give me a more stable basis to detail them. Pics to follow.

All the best, Al

nice work mate

but the back seat of the F-4E didnt have any circuit brakes at the back wall, just loads of cables and wires!

Yeah but what's easier to model?! I'm just trying to add some visual interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Metallicus (I used to live in Fareham!)

Got a whole morning to work on this at last.

Finished the Flightpath wheelwells, much gnashing of teeth later!

Left side:

IMAG0291.jpg

Right side

IMAG0292.jpg

Also loved the instructions - obviously DP knows his audience!

IMAG0299.jpg

Al

I used the AMS Resin nose - based on the Tamiya F-4E nose, I believe:

IMAG0294.jpg

It was a bit too wide to fit the kit nose, I'm sure i made the cut in the right place, but it's all faired in with extrafine Milliput, no harm done.

It certainly is an improvement over the skinny kit version:

IMAG0295.jpg

I also tidied up the cockpit area using wine-bottle foil with raised rivets punched through from the other side - i used UMM's version of Rosie the Riveter. I also blended in the cockpit sills i made from plasticard.

IMAG0290.jpg

Al

Last effort of the day was to attack the Flightpath jetpipes. If the ones for the Tornado are anything to go by these are going to be awesome!

First the turbine and afterburner ring, quality etching!

tn_DSCN3895

Then the jetpipe all soldered together:

tn_DSCN3896

ready for the nozzle, it needs a bit more work!

The raised detail on the arrestor hook area behind the jetpipes needs to be sanded off for the replacement panels:

And the new panels need to be annealed before they can be conformed to the shape - but the fit is just about perfect.

tn_DSCN3897

And one tiny detail that i noticed on another Phantom build - the Revell kit has a tiny inspection window at the right rear fuselage just above the arrestor hook area, but nothing but a clear part to put in it - there is actually a small gauge behind this window, which i made from spare eduard placards and stuck behind.

I'll fill it in with crystal clear later on!

This is a very enjoyable but challenging modelling exercise at the moment!

Cheers for looking,

Al

I'm at the decaling stage of mine (attempting an F-4G). I also used the AMS resin nose & had same problem. As stated above, when I made one of these before I used the same sheet to do a USAFE F-4E that I saw as a kid at Greenham Common in '83. (AIRDOC) I had bad silvering issues then & just this week the smae agin on my F-4G (Gulf War Airdoc). I'm no where near as good as your skills so perhaps there's an element of me just being crap!

p.s. continuing the Fareham link - my wife is from there, although I consider that makes her a bl**dy northerner

Missed the start of this.

Your doing a sterling job so far, my friend. Those wheel wells look lovely. :clap2:

Great choice of scheme, as well.

I really must tackle the Flightpath Tornado set soon, including the flap/slat/spoiler set. :banghead:

Keep up the good work and glad to see you back.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot folks & hi James long time no hear! :bye:

Jetpipes!

IMAG0314.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

DSCN3896.jpg

DSCN3895.jpg

Finished in my usual choice of Mr Metal Color Dark Iron, buffed and drybrushed, Tamiya weathering powders added for reds and blue tinges.

Bit of a pig to complete, but glad they are done.

EDIT: Anyone else think the interior at the front of the nozzle looks a little odd? I'm sure i followed the instructions correctly, but hey!

Edited by PHaTNesS

Next - slotted stabs!

I forgot to take pics of the original kitpart, which is a shame :doh: cos the difference is amazing.

Original part with moulded slots removed:

tn_DSCN3884

I was considering saving the sawing and just using the unslotted F-4F stabs included in the kit, but the sizes didn't match (E stab on the left)

tn_DSCN3886

First used the Flightpath set cutting template, then added the slat struts:

tn_DSCN3887 tn_DSCN3888

Then formed and added the slat:

tn_DSCN3889 tn_DSCN3890

Bottom view:

tn_DSCN3891

One more bit of PE to go at the tip

tn_DSCN3894

Voila! Slotted Stabilizers - unavailable in plastic :yahoo:

Last thing I've done is the arrestor hook and the area between the jetpipes:

tn_DSCN3899

Time for a coffee!!

Cheers,

Al

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Thanks for your comments folks! That was a very long coffee break (Oct 5 2011!)

So I've picked this up again, and we've been filling and sanding, and here's the state of play so far:

The monster is assembled, after working on 1/700 ships for a while this is a big piece of plastic!

tn_IMAG0362

I painted the area behind the intake ramps (bright idea, wish Id thought of it). Added the PE slime lights and wing fences, and due to the complex Flightpath wheel wells, the gear is obviously fitted prior to painting.

tn_IMAG0363

Sprayed and masked off the metalwork at the rear end.

tn_IMAG0364

Also cut out the outboard flaperons and added the PE inserts to represent the fairings. They fit perfectly, top marks once again to Flightpath.

More pics to follow.....

Al