1/32 Revell F-4E Phantom II

Alan P

Not great pics I'm afraid, but shows at least the main paintjob went well!

tn_IMG_20120420_142804 tn_IMG_20120420_142822

The wraparound SEA camouflage wasn't in service long before the change to Euro 1, but looks very flashy!

I used Tamiya rattle can colours, and then WEM enamels to fade and break up the colours and feather the edges of the camo. Job well done I reckon!

Leads me to realise an easy way of breaking up colours, rather than use salt weathering, varying mixed shades of colours etc, is simply to go over the colour areas with another manufacturer's paint of the same alleged shade. They are NEVER exactly the same, and always produce a pleasing countershade which is much more realistic than the white squares inside each panel line that seems to be the current fashion.

I need to do a lot of masking next and get the wheels and wheelwells looking glossy white and pristine. Don't ask me how, but I will try! 

Hi Al!

Good to se you working that magic on aircraft again, she's looking superb! I'm just working on some Flightpath stuff as well, you know, as a respite from serious modelling!! ;)

While all that was drying, I got on with some more of this marvellous Flightpath PE:

Before and after!

tn_IMG_20120420_142710

The soft Korean plastic of the kit lends itself really well to superdetailing. The moulded detail usually just wipes off with a light scraping from a flat-blade knife. Unlike the stubborn Germanic plastic of Revell Germany offerings!

tn_IMG_20120420_142734

The gear doors and new white metal wheels courtesy of the Flightpath. It all went together very easily.

Next up: pylons, tanks and ECM pod.

Cheers for looking,

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Decals! I hate them!!!!! :angry:

tn_IMG_20120508_180851

The sharkmouth looks cool though!

tn_IMG_20120508_180910

I used a combination of AirDoc (unit markings and insignia), IsraDecal (stencils), and the kit decals (bad mistake :doh: ). I prepared the surface with Testors Glosscote and Klear. I reckon 90% of the decals silvered, and predominantly those on the dark green paint. I used MicroSet and Sol and ended up having to butcher practically ever decal and stencil and slather them in MicroSol to get rid of the silvering. Some were unfortunately irretrievable but most were thankfully on the bottom. The kit decals were totally dead, splintered into loads of bits as soon as I tried to apply them. Unfortunately this included the national insignia (why the AirDoc set didn't include them, I don't know) so they were a nightmare. Eventually I was able to splat them on the model with a layer of Microscale Liquid Decal Film.

tn_IMG_20120508_180925

Silvering showing on the tail codes :shrug:

tn_IMG_20120508_181105

The underneath showing the now-white wheelwells ^_^

tn_IMG_20120508_181027

tn_IMG_20120508_180949

Overviews of the camo and stencils - there are more than on the real thing, but I actually like the look of stencils so I went with all the underside and wing ones and about 25% of the fuselage ones.

All the other components completed and decalled:

tn_IMG_20120508_181134 tn_IMG_20120508_181209 tn_IMG_20120508_181333

Inner pylons and Flightpath Sidewinder rails, an enormous improvement on the kit ones!

tn_IMG_20120508_181004

The decalling has been really frustrating, and I'm very glad to have finished it. I think my MicroSet might be past its best which is potentially why the decals wouldn't settle - the finish was smooth and glossy enough. It's a mystery to me! :hmmm:

Cheers,

Alan

• 1 month later...

Thanks Clive and Bud!

I actually got bored posting in-prog pics, so i just got on and finished it. The biggest problem is still the silvered decals, i never actually solved that so it is flawed but at least finished.

tn_IMG_20120611_161410

See the rest in Ready for Inspection :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement to everyone who commented :thumbsup2:

Alan 

Looks great from here, and BIG congrats for sicking with all that decalling - made all the difference and really 'lifts' the finished model.

Bravo Zulu

Ian

Hi

Sorry to hear about the decals. A bad batch I guess. If I may make a suggestion on your next decal session, You could trim the carrier film a little closer to the decals as well as inside the decals when possible. In any case a stunning build my friend. One to be proud of.

Oliver

Thanks a lot, guys.

Hi

Sorry to hear about the decals. A bad batch I guess. If I may make a suggestion on your next decal session, You could trim the carrier film a little closer to the decals as well as inside the decals when possible. In any case a stunning build my friend. One to be proud of.

Oliver

Thanks very much Oliver, means a lot from an expert like yourself.

Al

Nice job there Al, the tailplane is a fantastic idea to get the detail in. Got an RF-4C in the stash I think could benefit from that. Bad luck on the silvering though matey, sods law as ever.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi folks, and thank you for the encouraging comments so far.

I'm really pleased with how the cockpit panels are turning out - all of this is out of the box and pretty good so far. It's a shame the kit didn't provide more of this kind of detail in the cockpit.

Front

IMAG0267.jpg

Back

IMAG0266.jpg

The only extra additions are pieces of polarized plastic for the radar screens.

Back seat with sidewall details and circuit breaker panel, all scratchbuilt:

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

Front seat

IMAG0272.jpg

Still plenty of detail to go into this! The kit doesn't give landing gear lever, sidewall detail, any cockpit sills or canopy detail at all....

I'm also pushing forward with the Flightpath wheelwells, and the main gear ones are causing me a bit of headscratching - I've ended up partially assembling them and trying to fit the wing halves together, hopefully that will give me a more stable basis to detail them. Pics to follow.

All the best, Al

hey im new to modelleing,

id like to know how you get such detail in the cockpit. is it decals or are youpainting all the dials on? i want to make mine like that

thank you,

jason

Hi Jason,

This pic shows all the detail as provided in the kit. Luckily all the dials are moulded on the panels, and so are all the buttons and switches.

IMAG0272.jpg

I painted all the consoles black, then dry-brushed light grey across to make the detail pop out.

IMAG0266.jpg

After that, I used the tip of a wooden toothpick/cocktail stick dipped in white paint, and dabbed it round all the dials, making sure the white paint picked out the instrument needles and clock marks. I used the cocktail stick dipped in light grey paint to paint all the buttons and switches.

The cocktail stick technique is very simple and much more precise than using a brush.

IMAG0271.jpg

The circuit breaker panel is cut from plastic card. I used a layer of wine-bottle foil and punched out the circuit breakers from the back side using a riveting tool. Then i stuck it on to the plastic card with white glue, cut it to size when dry and painted it black, dry-brushing again to make the raised circuit breakers pop out. The placards come from a pre-painted Eduard set for the F-14 Tomcat.

To finish off the panels, I used a pale grey wash and used the cocktail stick technique to put a blob of Future in the centre of each dial to create a glass effect.

I would suggest that these techniques are appropriate for the larger scales - for 1/48 it's harder as many kits do not provide the required level of moulded detail; for 1/48 and 1/72 I prefer to use the Eduard pre-painted instrument panels as they are far better than my painting!!

Hope this helps,

Al

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Searching for material and infos on the Revell Phantom. I am sure this was a great threat...before the c... suckers from PB messed it all up! Feeling annoyed...:-(

cheers

Uwe

Edited by anj4de

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2017 at 8:21 PM, anj4de said:

Searching for material and infos on the Revell Phantom. I am sure this was a great threat...before the c... suckers from PB messed it all up! Feeling annoyed...:-(

cheers

Uwe

On 7/9/2017 at 9:33 PM, Intruder503 said:

PB has made most WIP and RFI posts irrelevant. Such a shame.

As time permits I'll try and rebuild some of the most informative WIP builds I've done over the years. I still have the photos, just need to host and link them. Thanks for looking in any case!

Al

On 7/9/2017 at 8:21 PM, anj4de said:

cheers

Uwe

Here's an intact thread of my build of the Revel 1/32 F-4F a couple of years ago: F-4F Phantom