Harrier GR5

Built OOB apart from the nose cone and RWR at the bottom of the lower rear fin. I originally used the nose from the Italeri T10 and had planned on using plastic card and Milliput to build up the fairing...

IMG_9071.jpg

IMG_9073.jpg

IMG_9070.jpg

I wasn't that happy with the over all shape, so having then purchased an Airfix T10, decided to rob the nose from the GR5 and am now using that..

Not sure of the scheme, yet but it will either be as on of the DB aircraft in Dark Sea Grey OR the Pegasus II test plane in overall Dark Blue. If I do the latter I'll be using Tamiya's very dark blue for the main colours - as its supposed to be a mixture of Roundel Blue and black....

More pic's to follow....

Snap Bill I'm doing the same job on my airfix kit for the GB! What did you do to the tail? I can't make it out from the pics. I'd not realised I need to do anything there....

I'd read Humbrol midnight blue was a good match for the colour too if that helps!

Phil

No photo's to show at the moment - Camera is in "deep servicing"!! Just a few thoughts and observations. I've painted the model now - I used Tamiya "Royal Blue" - its nice and dark and sprays on a treat. I've started on the decals as well. Now bearing in mind these decals are the best part of two decades old, they are going on a treat. However, just a few pointers here Phil, the white sections for the wing tips and tail planes aren't that great - the pin stripe is hardly noticeable - certainly as the white decal is fairly translucent- compared to the white painted wing tips. I think I'll just paint the whole area white and then add a dark blue (well black in this scale) decal stripe to give the white pin-stripe effect. Also the carrier film on the larger decals - mainly those used on the upper fuselage seemed to be a bit "milky" when applied - I bedded them down in a mixture of Johnson's Kleer, MicroSet and MicroSol - and that seems to have helped. I won't know for sure until I've finished and matted the model down a bit....

Also on the Starboard side of the nose on the kit, there's a small probe - this will need to be removed as the nose stripe goes right through it!

Not due to pick my camera up until Thursday at the earliest, so no pic's on this or any of the other Harrier projects at the moment....

I've also got this decal set with the intention of doing my Hasegawa GR5 in this scheme, so I'll be pilfering any tips you're giving out! Maybe you, me and Phil should have a mini single airframe group build...

Mark.

Glad my nose still hasn't arrived yet now! Cheers for the pointers Bill I'll try the same trick with the pin stripe, that or I'll try and find some better White decal stripe!

I was going to chop the sensor off anyway and replace it with...well something, as the one on my kit is a bit bent out if shape, rough handling by me I expect!

I have a pot of the tamyia blue you mentioned too which is handy, at least both of ours will be the same shade! I was thinking of adding 'the green tail and other green bits as per the decal instructions to add a bit of interest...

Phil

Glad my nose still hasn't arrived yet now! Cheers for the pointers Bill I'll try the same trick with the pin stripe, that or I'll try and find some better White decal stripe!

I was going to chop the sensor off anyway and replace it with...well something, as the one on my kit is a bit bent out if shape, rough handling by me I expect!

I have a pot of the tamyia blue you mentioned too which is handy, at least both of ours will be the same shade! I was thinking of adding 'the green tail and other green bits as per the decal instructions to add a bit of interest...

Phil

Indeed it would add a generous splash of colour!! I've more or less finished decalling now - added the pylons and undercarriage - just need to add the nozzles, a seat ( I Have a pre-painted MB Mk 12 from Airwaves ready - I cheated!!), and it looks really nice! The blue is really Dark - so not sure how accurate it is but I suspect that if I mixed up a batch using Xtracolors black and Roundel Blue - it wouldn't be far off - if Tamiya's its too light well thats because of scale colouring!!!

I know that here are a few of us hacking and building this kit at the moment - and I really have to say what a great experience it is! I must have built 30 or 40 1/72nd scale Harriers over the last twenty years - using Esci, Hasegawa, Airfix etc kits and this latest rendition is right up there with the rest of them.

Its my kit of the year without a doubt!

I've also got this decal set with the intention of doing my Hasegawa GR5 in this scheme, so I'll be pilfering any tips you're giving out! Maybe you, me and Phil should have a mini single airframe group build...

Mark.

Yeah!!! I love this kit!!

I dug out this pic I took before I sent the camera away for fixing (picking it up thursday!!)...just added the white wing tips and a bit of undercoat

IMG_9234.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark

You're racing along Bill!

A quick question for you, what colour do you think the airbrake bay is? The airfix instructions say white, which I thinks right for the GR7/9 but one of the few pics of a GR5 in the harrier inside and out book shows the bay and it looks to be either the same green as the underside or possibly chromate primer, either way it's filthy!

Phil

You're racing along Bill!

A quick question for you, what colour do you think the airbrake bay is? The airfix instructions say white, which I thinks right for the GR7/9 but one of the few pics of a GR5 in the harrier inside and out book shows the bay and it looks to be either the same green as the underside or possibly chromate primer, either way it's filthy!

Phil

I don't think white is correct anyway (in spite of what Harrier Inside and Out says) - I suspect it's BS381C 631 Light Grey. I'll see if I can find the GR5 Aeroguide, see what it says.

I don't think white is correct anyway (in spite of what Harrier Inside and Out says) - I suspect it's BS381C 631 Light Grey. I'll see if I can find the GR5 Aeroguide, see what it says.

It was the aeroguide I looked at rather than inside and out now I think! (in case Bill is off looking at his refs!). The airfix instructions say White, I was unsure of the colour from the aeroguide.

Phil

All late model Harriers have their airbrake bays the same colour as the surrounding airframe, ie Lichen Green on the Green scheme, Dk Camo Grey on the 2 tone greys and Medium Sea Grey on the final all over single grey scheme.

Mark.

I've painted mine white!!! Well.....a dirty white granted - ah well........

Anyway. Picked up my camera this morning - and its like new!! So I've just had a quick play around and taken these....nearly there - next photo's should be as finished - hopefully!!

IMG_9266.jpg

IMG_9274.jpg

IMG_9277.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark

Oh well, who knows you could be right!

It looks smart Bill, looking forward to seeing it finished!

I had a brain wave with the pin stripes and ordered some white decal strips from fantasy print shop. I think I'll use the supplied decals then overlay with a suitable strip to improve the whiteness!

Phil

so not to sound stupid here but what is wrong with airfix Gr 5?

Not stupid - It's just that the GR5 was the old tooling and the new one is much, MUCH better. The general consensus seems to be, if you want to build any type of 1:72 Harrier II, start with this kit.

Well, Its done - more or less! A few photo's in the completed gallery. A couple of things I've learnt whilst building this kit!

(1.) My eyes ain't what they used to be! I found ths kit quite a challenge at times - particularly when finishing the finer details.

(2.) Airfix are back!!!! What a superb little kit!

I'm reasonably happy with the end result, though the photo's have highlighted a few areas that I still need to attend to - the yellow "sealant" around the glazing is a bit messy. I had planned on using yellow decal strip, but in order to finish by the deadline deciding on painting! I'll remove that later in the week and add some decal stripes! I also need to hide the poor finish in the intakes - so I'll knock up a pair of intake blanks as well. I've also managed to knock off the small antennae on the nose!

But as far as this GB is concerned - Its finished! The first time I've actually managed to finish something for a GB!!!. Sorry about the photo's again all a bit rushed to meet the deadline - I had to use flash and its made the Dark Blue look a bit purple, again when I've corrected the faults I'll take some better pic's and post them in the Aircraft section.

Just one pic here - others in the completed gallery - comments welcome!

IMG_9464.jpg