Correcting the Revell 737-800

Viking

Crikey John ! The 737-200 is looking brilliant (even though the apparent skills have crushed my spirits ! :winkgrin: )

Can I ask where the crew members came from ?

(and if you say you sculpted them from scrap resin, I'll be off to the apple tree...... :hanging: )

mike

On 6/13/2015 at 3:41 PM, mitchem said:

Can I ask where the crew members came from ?

I sculpted them from scrap res........

No not really :clown:

They are N Gauge figures from my local model shops' railway section.

Engine14.jpg

I primed the lower ones, and put them back in the pack after painting and taking the ones I wanted. They don't come like that!

2 of the sitting passengers have become airline pilots, and a 'lady with suitcase' had it surgically removed and became cabin crew.

If you recognise she is painted in a 1980's Air Europe uniform, you may need to remove your tinfoil hat but you'll know what livery I am planning on.

The thing about these figures is that they are very easy to modify. Some of those platform staff will become baggage handlers soon.

Cheers

John

Thanks John. May have to look into getting one of those for a project in mind.

and a 'lady with suitcase' had it surgically removed and became cabin crew.

...and seeing you're now a qualified plastic surgeon, any possibility you can surgically remove my wife's credit card from her hand ? :pilot:

mike

• Like 1

^ good idea but then that could ope nn the door for a pinned thread about every airliner....Roden 720 anyone??

True. One could end up with an entire forum of nothing but threads for tweaking specific model kits!

Ben

• 1 year later...

Amazing and impressive work! A friend of mine got an old Airfix 737-200 and this is good advise concerning building that kit.

Cheers / André

• 8 months later...
On 1/9/2018 at 3:46 AM, Artmaul said:

Did anyone saved those missing pictures that might want to share with me?

I wish I had, sorry. I'm getting the Zvezda kits. Might try a Revell one eventually.

On 1/9/2018 at 9:46 AM, Artmaul said:

Did anyone saved those missing pictures that might want to share with me?

10 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I wish I had, sorry. I'm getting the Zvezda kits. Might try a Revell one eventually.

I do!  ;)

I have restored all the original photos now.

Cheers

John

1 hour ago, Viking said:

I do!  ;)

I have restored all the original photos now.

Cheers

John

John, I hesitate to ask but is there any chance you could also restore the photos on your Air Europe 737 masterpiece?  It's the best tutorial I've seen on how to get the most out of the old Airfix model.  I can't remember if they're in that thread but I'd very much like to see your photos of converting the Airfix engines to Adv standard again.

54 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

John, I hesitate to ask but is there any chance you could also restore the photos on your Air Europe 737 masterpiece?  It's the best tutorial I've seen on how to get the most out of the old Airfix model.  I can't remember if they're in that thread but I'd very much like to see your photos of converting the Airfix engines to Adv standard again.

Thanks Dave, the engine bit is on the previous page of this thread near the bottom

I have just restored the original RFI thread for you here.

Thought I may as well do the Busy Bee one as well!

Cheers

John

• Thanks 2

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 11:12 AM, Viking said:

In a related note, I have been building an Airfix 737-200 and decided to fix its engines.
All I knew was that they are too short and have too skinny pylons for all but the very earliest 737's built. Everyone on the web seems to have an opinion, but no other solution than to buy a set of Authentic Airliners resin replacements. So I though I would have a go myself, I have several of the kits and can't justify buying loads of aftermarket engines for them all.

Using my Authentic Airliners model as a reference I cut the rear part off and used an old bomb to lengthen them by about 4mm. Milliput was then run around the 'extension' and sanded flush.
Engine1.jpg

So far so good.Is the extension the correct length? Compared to the AA kit;
Engine2.jpg

Then I needed to fatten the pylons. Some 20 thou plasticard takes care of that

Engine3.jpg

Filled with Milliput and sanded to shape;
Engine4.jpg

Engine5.jpg

Test fitted to check overall appearance

Engine6.jpg

Engine7.jpg

G'day, Viking!

The -200 is my favourite version of the 737. The Daco/Skyine windshield is certainly a worthwhile addition to the Airfix kit. Great info regarding the engine nacelles as well.

Say, about the Airfix kit; do you think the profile of the nose is correct?

Cheers,

Unc2

It's good to see the photos of the Air Europe model again - thanks John!  

I have been messing around with a spare pair of Authentic Airliners engines and when I test fitted them to an Airfix model they seemed OK lengthwise but the front of the pylon looks too broad compared to photos of the real thing and I didn't find the effect realistic at all.  Unless I'm seeing optical illusions you seem to have managed a more realistic result from the modified Airfix parts.

Can I suggest changing the thread title to "Correcting the Revell and Airfix 737s" or something similar?

• 1 year later...

Adam is right. I'm just finishing a Zvezda 738 (hopefully it will be in RFI in the next ten days or so) and it is light years ahead of the Revell kit - it has the correct window line, correct engines, correct winglets and correct stance (no more cutting down the Revell main undercarriage legs!). My few remaining unbuilt Revell kits will find their way to eBay in due course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Wonder if you could take the Zvezda kit, shorten it and get replacement -200 engines?

If you're thinking of converting it to a -200, that would be a massive job. Shortening the fuselage is the easy bit. The wings, tailplanes, fin and undercarriage are all significantly different. The only decent replacement engines are from Authentic Airliners but they're listed as "currently unavailable". The BraZ engines are inaccurate and personally I think they're unusable.

If you don't want to start with the Airfix kit, Turbofan did a fabulous -200 conversion from the Daco Skyline -300 which would be a lot easier than starting with the Zvezda -800.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

If you're thinking of converting it to a -200, that would be a massive job. Shortening the fuselage is the easy bit. The wings, tailplanes, fin and undercarriage are all significantly different. The only decent replacement engines are from Authentic Airliners but they're listed as "currently unavailable". The BraZ engines are inaccurate and personally I think they're unusable.

If you don't want to start with the Airfix kit, Turbofan did a fabulous -200 conversion from the Daco Skyline -300 which would be a lot easier than starting with the Zvezda -800.

Glad you told me that. Just looked the the Daco kit and link, looks like like a nice model. To bad AA isn't making anything much now. I was wondering about Braz's engines, hard to tell from the pictures on their site how good they are.

On 24/07/2019 at 00:21, Adam Poultney said:

To correct this kit, buy a Zvezda one. That'd be my plan if I were to do one :D 

Too right Adam!

In my defence your honour, I plead that this thread is from 8 years ago, well before the Zvezda kit was even thought of. ;)

Cheers

John

• Like 2