• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Calum

Calum

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:52 AM

I'm building a Revell Typhoon and I want to put a litening pod on the centre line. But like the inner pylons Revell don't give you this :angrysoapbox.sml:

Does anyone have a good image of the centreline pylon on the Typhoon?

Is it the same as the wing pylons where the drop tanks are fitted?

Or are the pylons fitted with a tank different from those fitted for a weapon or other store (They are different in kit wit the tank pylons significantly smaller)

Any and all help appreciated

#2 Jaffe284

Jaffe284

Established Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:31 PM

http://www.airfighte...oon-FGR4/ZJ942/
http://www.airfighte...phoon-T3/ZJ815/
http://www.airfighte...oon-FGR4/ZJ941/

Or check through the Typhoon pics here;
http://www.fencechec...ic,250.165.html

#3 PaulR

PaulR

Established Member

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

Calum,
I'd like to second this - I'm dying (well, not literally, but you know what I mean!) for a complete set of the missing typhoon pylons - centre, inboard and ASRAAM launcher for pylon 3 and 8 for all three major scales. I know Two Bobs have done the inboard pylons, but I am increasingly really surprised an aftermarket producer hasn't got round to doing the set yet, perhaps including a 'right handed' Litening pod as well to save chopping up an Isracast job. There must be a whole bunch of RAF modellers who would appreciate the effort . . .

For the time being, I'm looking at using a 1/48 Hasegawa F-16 wing pylon - using the mark 1 eyeball, this seems to have roughly the same front end and depth so could be a good kick-off point. It would be very handy to have a dimensions or a drawing or both; can anybody oblige without infringing official secrets?

Yours in hope, Paul

#4 Bobski

Bobski

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

It would be very handy to have a dimensions or a drawing or both; can anybody oblige without infringing official secrets?

In a word, no. Sorry.

The best photo I have is in my reference thread:

Posted Image

The pylon is roughly the same length as a LITENING pod. Here's a couple of photos of one I scratchbuilt for my 1/32nd scale kit:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The edges could be a bit sharper, but it was my first attempt at scratchbuilding anything. Sizes and general arrangement is taken from the drawings though, so it's pretty much right.

#5 PaulR

PaulR

Established Member

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:45 PM

Cheers for the photos mate!
Will use these for my own 1/48th scratch building effort. I wonder if anyone on the Britmodeller forums could cast some in resin if we supply the masters? Don't know much about casting myself, but perhaps we could set up an informal Britmodeller cooperative, not-for-profit aftermarket effort!
Best regards, Paul

#6 Calum

Calum

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

Thanks Bob

I found your scratch build one. Do you have the dimensions handy as I'm going to do the same. I may adapt one of the spare wing pylons as I'm going to have 2 tanks fitted in those positions

Google also found this thread which as some quite handy images

Litening images on ARC

Edited by Calum, 10 August 2011 - 09:08 PM.

#7 Davidf66

Davidf66

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:17 PM

Cheers for the photos mate!
Will use these for my own 1/48th scratch building effort. I wonder if anyone on the Britmodeller forums could cast some in resin if we supply the masters? Don't know much about casting myself, but perhaps we could set up an informal Britmodeller cooperative, not-for-profit aftermarket effort!
Best regards, Paul

I'd very interested in a set of these for my 1/32nd Tiffie. If anyone wants to supply the masters, I'm O.K with having a crack at producing them in resin. I'm O.K with getting the silicone/resin casting kit but I'd need to have postage covered for any sets sent out and, possibly, a little on top to cover the cost of new supplies. Definately not looking to make a quick buck here, just hoping to be able to supply these parts for those that need/want them. Anyone that's interested, please feel free to pm me so we can get something sorted out. Bye for now, best regards, David.

#8 kstater94

kstater94

Established Member

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

Here's what I have

Hope they help somewhat

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers

John

#9 Calum

Calum

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:10 AM

Thanks John

#10 Bobski

Bobski

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:32 AM

Thanks Bob

I found your scratch build one. Do you have the dimensions handy as I'm going to do the same. I may adapt one of the spare wing pylons as I'm going to have 2 tanks fitted in those positions

Alas I don't have the dimensions to hand, sorry.

#11 Calum

Calum

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:10 AM

Ended up scratching something up. I started with one the spare pylons for the stations where the external tanks go. I intend to use the tanks on those stations so these are spare.

Posted Image

Litening pod is the Hasegawa one from the new weapons set "E"

Posted Image

Edited by Calum, 21 August 2011 - 01:12 AM.

#12 Kagemusha

Kagemusha

Established Member

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:22 PM

TwoMikes are going to release one in 1/32.

#13 Bobski

Bobski

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:39 AM

Posted Image

The fairing you've added at the top of the pylon needs to be a little bit longer - the front edge of it should line up roughly with the rear of the lump in the middle of the pylon (which is the back end of the ERU).

Apologies for the technical terminology!

#14 PaulR

PaulR

Established Member

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

Some good scratchbuilding there! The only thing I might add is that the photo angle is a little deceiving. I stand to be corrected, but I understand that the pylon is almost exactly the same length as the pod, so your pylon needs a little shortening.
Hope this helps, Paul

#15 Calum

Calum

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:37 AM

To late for adjustments now :D it's attached to the model I'm not prepared to remove it.

It'll will have to do

#16 Shaun

Shaun

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Did anyone make any masters for this pylon?

Is there any rake on the pylon or does the pylon/pod lie parallel to the under fuselage?, I may scatch one up for Typhoon project.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun, 21 December 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#17 Selwyn

Selwyn

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:01 PM

I'm building a Revell Typhoon and I want to put a litening pod on the centre line. But like the inner pylons Revell don't give you this angrysoapbox.sml.gif

Does anyone have a good image of the centreline pylon on the Typhoon?

Is it the same as the wing pylons where the drop tanks are fitted?

Or are the pylons fitted with a tank different from those fitted for a weapon or other store (They are different in kit wit the tank pylons significantly smaller)

Any and all help appreciated

Just to let you know that the Drop tanks with the integral pylon supplied in the kit are the same item used on the centre line.

Selwyn

#18 Shaun

Shaun

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

Just to let you know that the Drop tanks with the integral pylon supplied in the kit are the same item used on the centre line.

Selwyn

I don't think so, there are no sway braces/crutches on the tank pylons.

Shaun.

#19 Selwyn

Selwyn

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

I don't think so, there are no sway braces/crutches on the tank pylons.

Shaun.

Exactly! The pylon is part of the tank.

To put another store on the center fuselage station  you have to fit a dedicated stores pylon. But the tank is a universal item that fits both centre wing stations and the centre fuselage station.

Selwyn

#20 Shaun

Shaun

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:09 AM

Exactly! The pylon is part of the tank.

To put another store on the center fuselage station  you have to fit a dedicated stores pylon. But the tank is a universal item that fits both centre wing stations and the centre fuselage station.

Selwyn

I see a bit of confusion here.

I'm talking about the pylon that carries LITENING pod as per the thread title and photo's, not can the tank be mounted on the centerline station.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun, 24 December 2013 - 11:34 AM.