South-east Asia campaign markings

John Laidlaw

I was wondering if anyone had any references of RAF/RN markings for what I believe to have been the SEAC during the latter half of WWII? The type that come to mind are the two-colour wing and fuselage roundels - either the insignia blue/pale blue or insignia blue/white. I realise I'm showing my ignorance here (maybe it's the gin, we just don't know :undecided: ), but I have a hankering to build at least a Spitfire or two in these markings, and I can't for the life of me find any references.

Any help gratefully received...

Geoff Thomas's excellent Eyes of the Phoenix is currently being sold off at Ian Allan/MCP. Although basically only PR aircraft, it covers a much wider scope than that.

The old (and creaky) Osprey Airwar on the subject has just been reprinted. I wouldn't entirely recommend it, but it does serve as an introduction.

Osprey's Late Marque (sic) Spitfire Aces has Wilf Yates' Imphal Spitfire, but with post-Imphal white stripes.

Which aircraft do you want to do?

Ta muchly for the replies.

Wooksta - is SAM V16 No. 4 still available anywhere?

Graham - I recently read Jonathan Glancey's "Spitfire", and there is a nice (if small and grainy) photo of a line up of Spitfire Mk. VIIIs of 136 Squadron on Brown's West Island in August 1945. I thought that might be a nice place to start...

You might be able to find Franks' Spitfires Over The Arakan or Spitfires Over Imphal via 2nd-hand sources.

The old Aircam booklets on the Spitfire include SEAC profiles.

The Hasegawa 1/72 Spitfire Mk.VIII has SEAC markings, as does their Thunderbolt. There may be a Hurricane release too. There is in 1/48.

There are a number of Hurricane books: Franks' Hurricanes over Imphal, Stone's Hurricanes Over Burma, and the recent biography of Frank Carey - rather a nice decorated Mk.VIII Spit in that.

For Thunderbolts you want Geoff Thoma's booklet for Air research on RAF Thunderbolts.

For Mohawks you want Gerry Beauchamp's book.

There is one on Beaufighters, but I don't recall the title.

There's a great article covering the British Pacific Fleet in two parts in Model Aircraft Monthly August and September 2005, don't know if back issues are available.

Cheers

Den

Hi John,

If you can't get hold of the mags I did make some notes:-

The paintwork for the FAA is described in an article in Model aircraft monthly (August and September 2005 issues).

American built planes were painted in the US equivalents to the British colours.

British: Extra Dark Sea Grey

American: Sea Grey, ANA 603 (FS6118) Identical match

1. Xtracolor X130: FS16118, Gunship grey

2. Xtracolor X5: (BS640) Extra dark sea grey.

3. Colourcoats ACRN02: (BS640) Extra dark sea grey

4. Colourcoats ACUS14: Gunship grey

British: Sky

American: Sky ANA610 (FS4424) Identical match

Xtracolor X7

British: Dark Slate Grey (BS634)

American Could be:

a. Dark Olive drab 41 (FS34087)

b. ANA613 Olive drab

c. An identical match for the British colour (BS634).

a. Dark Olive drab 41 (FS4087)

1. Colourcoats ACUS15: Olive drab 41

2. Xtracolor X111, Olive drab FS14087

b. ANA 613 Olive drab.

1. Xtracolor X113: WWII Faded olive drab.

2. Xtracolor X112: ANA613 Olive drab WWII

3. Colourcoats ACUS12: WW2 USAAF Olive Drab

c. Dark Slate Grey (BS634)

1. Colourcoats ACRN06 Dark Slate Grey.

2. Xtracolor X25 RAF Dark Slate Grey.

3. Humbrol HU224 Dark Slate Grey

Hi Den,

Wow, thank you for taking the time to type all that out. It's appreciated greatly.

I've checked the SAM Publications site, and it looks like those issues may be available. Of course I'll be too impatient to wait for them to arrive (no doubt by slow boat via China), so your info will most certainly come in useful.

I'll keep posted as to progress...

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Santa (AKA Randee, AKA The TPO, AKA my lovely wife) came up with the reddies for some kits. So I'm now the proud owner of the Hasegawa Spitfire Mk. VIII 'S.E.A.C.' in 1/48th scale. I also got a 1/48th scale Mk.Vb, but that's neither here nor there :).

Let's see if I can make a complete hash of it, shall we? Okey-doke.