A Phantom of 92 Sqn

Hi all,

this model is going to become XV471 of 92 Squadron. The kit is Hasegawa's FGR.2 in the familiar Revell disguise, decals are provided by Air Doc. I am going to add Aires exhausts and ejector seats (this will be my first experiences with resin BTW) as well as a Flightpath access ladder.

kiti.jpg

I started glueing the first sub-assemblies (wings, cockpit, armament, small parts) together, but really nothing worth photographing in this stage...

However, happy go lucky as I am, I had bought a set of Aires exhausts right away without checking any reviews. Guess what I found out afterwards - they are the ones way too small in diameter...

exhaust1.jpg

At first, I was cutting the kit's original exhausts apart to attach the Aires tubes only, but in the end I chose try to rework the Aires parts to have them fit to the fuselage. I did so by adding a wedge-shaped outer ring, made from a strip of plastic card. Since this outer ring is only partially visible once installed, you can hide the joint simply by turning/facing it to the fuselage.

exhaust2r.jpg

In place, the finished exhausts will look this way. I will try to add those recessed grooves around the outer ring tomorrow by using our height gauge at work.

exhaust3.jpg

Thanks guys!

I'll finish it for today with a scratched set of intake covers. I dont think I'll bother with the "foam" around the edges but will add a thickly painted grey outline once painting them.

intakecovers1.jpg

intakecovers2.jpg

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the ejector seats are from Aires... ;)

Its ok, I meant just the cockpit :worthy: I did notice the Aires seats, a much easier idea than their poxy cockpit set that takes years to sand down to fit :yikes:

Bexy

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

this is how she looked yesterday and right now respectively. I will continue working on her today, but I doubt I will make it before the deadline ... We will see.

Any suggestions for the colours of the unpainted exhaust panels by the way?

fgr224nov11.jpg

xv47127nov11.jpg

Edited by XF442

Wonderful progress. It's a shame the deadline isn't another week away. Don't compromise the quality of your work by rushing now. I look forward to seeing photos of the completed product regardless of the Group Build deadline. "thumbsup:

Thanks for the encouraging replies! I am currently still in the process of applying the decals (encountered some annoying differences and errors between the AirDoc and Revell instructions on the way) with "only" the underside still to do ...

How long will this thread (sub-forum) remain open? I hope to finish it within the next seven days.

Edited by XF442

I think we should grant a special deadline dispensation considering the model was 95% finished. After all, here in the US actual fighter aircraft aren't 95% finished until they're obsolete. :)

Cheers,

Bill