Harrier T10 in 1/72nd

Seeing Nicks' build prompted me to get some pic's posted...I've used the Italeri TAV8B (I would have preferred an Airfix two seater - but couldn't find one in time) and of course the new Airfix kit. Pic's should be self explanatory. Still a lot of work to do, especially regarding the section rear of the canopy - the shape is way off!!

IMG_8174.jpg

IMG_8184.jpg

IMG_8192.jpg

IMG_8197.jpg

IMG_8204.jpg

IMG_8209.jpg

IMG_9047.jpg

IMG_9051.jpg

IMG_9048.jpg

IMG_9049.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark

Hi Bill

I couldn't see where you were going with the first pictures but it looks like an excellent solution when I see it all together.

Look forward to seeing this finished.

Having so much assembled without painting is akin to armour modelling!!!

Colin

Looks good so far Bill (I have an Italeri TA in the stash, this might be an idea to use it)

Are you going to attempt the 'bubble' canopy or just fudge it?

For this one Dave I'll be using whats provided in the Italeri kit, Both canopys will be open, so hopefully that will disguise any shape issues. It has the bonus of having MDC's - though I don't know how accurate they are! Ideally I'd have used the Airfix T10 for the basis - but couldn't find one at a decent price!

Hi Bill

I couldn't see where you were going with the first pictures but it looks like an excellent solution when I see it all together.

Look forward to seeing this finished.

Having so much assembled without painting is akin to armour modelling!!!

Colin

Thanks Colin, I wanted to use as much of the Airfix kit (and as little of the Italeri kit!) as possible and thought that it would be easier to build and then paint! Luckily there appears to be good access to both pits. I'll be using a second Airfix GR9 pit in the back too and I can hopefully add any plumbing etc before painting.

Looking very good so far Bill. Keep counting those rivets. :D

Will do Kirk! :D

Blimey Bill, looks absolutely fantastic, this is great stuff, can't wait to see the finished result.

Indeed!

I intend to do exactly the same build, so I will be keeping a very close eye on this one. :popcorn:

My intention was to use the Aires nosewheel bay and two Aires cockpits grafted on to the Italeri nose. Expensive option! Howeve, it would allow me to use the Airfix nose and tail on the remainder of the Italeri airframe to make an AV-8B which would then become a Whif. But now I'm having second thoughts about that. Bill's method is simple and quite elegant.

Exactly what I have planned to do myself, some time in the future. I will use the old Airfix T10 though.

Nils

Hi Nils, I suspect that by using the Airfix T10 kit the conversion may be a bit more straightforward? You may be able to graft the whole nose area on, likewise I supect the fin and rudder would just drop in place. I did buy an Airfix kit off of E-bay for a decent price, but when it turned up the fuselage and canopy was missing!! I got my money back!! When this is finished I'll see if I can get another Airfix T10 and build another...

• 2 weeks later...

Now this is a great way to build a nice T-10. Looks like I need to find myself a couple of the new GR9 kits when they hit the shelves down here.

Did you end up taking the whole tail off and replacing it with the Italeri piece? It is not clear from your pictures.

:cheers:

Now this is a great way to build a nice T-10. Looks like I need to find myself a couple of the new GR9 kits when they hit the shelves down here.

Did you end up taking the whole tail off and replacing it with the Italeri piece? It is not clear from your pictures.

:cheers:

Thanks Ray, I've used the Airfix tail - mounted on the lower section of the Italeri tail --- after I'd removed the parts of the Airfix kit - if that makes sense!!

Incidentally, I've just managed to get my hands on an old Airfix T10. I'm quite disappointed with the Airfix fuselage and tail, but I will have another go at a T10 using that kit. Be interesting to see how the two compare......

Your progress has suddenly brought home to me just how long the nose of those T.10s are Bill!

So that's three late model Harrier's on thee bench now?

• 3 weeks later...