Canberra T13

I've been building this one for a while now but it has moved off the shelf of doom for a bit. I'd toyed with the idea of doing my Ventura vac-form as the T13 using some airfix parts to add the missing detail but in the end I wenrt for the current combination knowing if I screw up I still have that fall back.

This is the basic 1/48th B2 boxing with the Alley Cat T4 conversion. The Interior is stock Airfix/Alley Cat. if you want to see how a master bulds the interior help me get Peter M to post his conversion photos here!

It will be NZ6151 which was one of the last two Canberras built so is a fairly historic aircraft. After the RNZAF converted to A-4s the Surviving Canberras were sold to India and she may still be flying with the IAF?

The Resin nose needed a bit of filler to fair it in. I put this down to my hamfistedness not anything to do with the pattern maker. I have built a couple of the Airfix Canberras and no matter how much weight I put in them they tail sit. So this one has lots of lead shot and a huge lump of lead flashing courtesy of Wolfpack.

IMGP2714.jpg

Minimalist interior with large lump of lead, all cunningly slightly out of focus to hide the shoddy workmanship

IMGP2713.jpg

This is a good start so far, I have this conversion lined up along with a few more of Ali's handy work :worthy:

Bexy

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress so far, I got the canopy insert on, and due to my inexact cutting I had to shim it with scraps of plastic card then filler. This was rubbed down with finer and finer grades of sanding stick until the fit was almost perfect.

I then washed all the excess dust and grease off the model.

Then I dropped it. The nose and canopy insert both came off, so I'm back at the place I was two weeks ago.

So more filling and sand is the order of the day.

Edited by Silver Fox

• 2 weeks later...

After the disaster outlined above I took the model to the Help For Heroes Day at Sherburn Airfield on 20th August. The New Zealand SIG and the Bomber Command SIG put on a model display for the day. So I spent a day in a hangar working on the T13 and talking to variuous people who 'built Airfix kits as kids but haven't done it since they grew up', a few modellers and a couple of guys who were keen to get back into modelling.

I was amazed at how much I got done on the T.13, so much so that I was able to assemble all the main components and get a coat of primer onto the airframe.

After a few days holiday with the family I have put the first coat of silver on her to highlight all the issues that need solving.

So here we are as of today:

IMGP2799.jpg

IMGP2800.jpg

The tanks are by Belcher bits and putting them on made her a tail sitter even though the bulk of the resin is forward off thre CoG!!!

Latest progress on the Canberra is that it is painted and glossed, the wheels are on and the canopy mask is off showing some marks and dust on the inside. Oh well.

This is my third Airfix Canberra and no matter how much weight I add to the nose the are all tail sitters. If I build another I'll not both and use the tail prop provided. The Belcher bits tanks may have tipped the balance on this one but most of the tank weight if forward of the CoG. I'd hope the wheel flats would have helped but no luck. Enough of my woes.

IMGP2801.jpg

I'm using the markings provided inthe Calssic Airframes Export bombers boxing for NZ6151, in theat boxing they were wrong becas=use NZ6151 was a T13 not a B.2 and no RNZAF T13 ever wore camouflage ( wait until I've finished it before proving me wrong please), but the basics are fine for my model. I'm doing her just after delivery with the silver fern roundels.

IMGP2802.jpg