Recommendations for a few A/C kits

Bandwagon 106

What do you all think to the following kits (all 1/48), and what might be added to them?

Airfix Jaguar

Italeri Gripen (C & D)

Italeri Mirage F.1

Italeri Tornado

Italeri Mirage 2000

I like all of these jets, but haven't had modelling time for them up to now, I just fancy adding them to my collection

Joel

I'm sad to say that the Airfix jag is a bit of a dog...it can be made to look pretty decent but it's going to be hard work.

The Revell Typhoon II and Rafale might be worth adding to that list.

What do you all think to the following kits (all 1/48), and what might be added to them?

Airfix Jaguar

Italeri Gripen (C & D)

Italeri Mirage F.1

Italeri Tornado

Italeri Mirage 2000

I like all of these jets, but haven't had modelling time for them, I just fancy adding them my collection

Joel

Jaguar & Tornado - Neomega cockpits + as many Paragon bits as you can afford. For both, bulged wheels, flaps, replacement afterburners are available plus more. The Jag is typical Airfix but can be turned into a real class act with the add ons.

Mirage F1 - replacement cockpit, but having said that its a bit like the Lightning. The cockpit is so small, personally Id add some of my own detailing instead.

Thanks for the quick replies. Zeke, I have the Typhoon and Rafale,a B at that!, just not finished them yet!Is the Airfix Jag an improvement over the ESCI one, 'cos that was one of my very first models, and the first one I camoflaged. I'm not too bothered about hard work and cursing.

How easy is the Italeri Tornado F.3 to get hold of? I had thought of using the decals from the last Airfix release (the EF.3 with No.111 Sqn on the box) with that kit. My first model in 1/48 scale was an Airfix Tornado...

Thanks again, I'll look into these

Joel

The Italeri Tornado F3 is pretty easy to get hold of, for a price!

Usually on Ebay UK they go for £20+, far above their original price (I remember them being £7.99!), what with it being an out of production kit of a popular British subject, and effectively the 'only game in town' because the Airfix Tornado's are so terrible. Its worth looking for the kit on ebay with a worlwide search i.e. showing items from international sellers. The kit was sold in the US and Canada, and wasn't immensely popular (the yanks like their F-16s more than Tornados!), and so when they do come up they tend to sell quite cheaply. The last one I bought came to about £22 and that was including shipping from the US, probably slightly cheaper than the average price for Ebay UK auctions and they seem to pop up just as frequently abroad as the do on ebay here.

The Airfix 'EF3' kit is a good donor for any Tornado project, coming with the ASRAAMs and BOL rails you'll need to model a current spec (CSP upgrade) F3, currect chaff dispensers (Italeri ones are too flat), a great decal sheet with 11sqn markings (assuming its in register, its very usable and comprehensive), ALARM missiles and rails (good for the spares box even if you don't use them) and the larger 'Hindenburger' fuel tanks. One problem with the F3 - the Neomega Tornado cockpit will fit the kit fine, but its rear instrument panel is correct only for a GR1, not an F3.

As for the Airfix Jag, I haven't seen the ESCI kit but I do expect its better. Fit is okay and detail not bad - panel lines are a bit wide perhaps, and the cockpit needs sprucing up, but its accurate and can be made into a great model.