IJN Kako - 1/700 Hasegawa

MikeR

As there appears to be a glut of "wingy things" in this GB, I thought I'd have a crack at this kit!

The obligatory "wot's in da box"! ;)

kakobuild00.jpg

The instruction sheet:

kakobuild01.jpg

Close up of blurb:

kakobuild04.jpg

Paint guide:

kakobuild03.jpg

Participated in my favourite Pacific sea battle, the Battle of Savo Island in the early hours of August the 9th, 1942. She was subsequently sunk near Kavieng, New Ireland by the USS S-44 a few days later.

More pics as I progress!

Mike. :)

Edited by MikeR

Thanks guys! B)

After 2 hours solid at the table here's todays progress:

kakobuild05.jpg

The bridge levels placed together:

kakobuild06.jpg

Pretty laborious that bit - I'd forgotten how time consuming building a ship is!

Midships:

kakobuild07.jpg

kakobuild09.jpg

The result after fixing the join at the bow:

kakobuild08.jpg

After superstructure:

kakobuild10.jpg

Superstructure all placed together:

kakobuild11.jpg

Some overall shots:

kakobuild12.jpg

kakobuild13.jpg

Overpackaged methinks! :blink: :

kakobuild14.jpg

Alrighty, here's where she is at the moment:

kakobuild15.jpg

kakobuild16.jpg

kakobuild17.jpg

kakobuild18.jpg

kakobuild19.jpg

Mostly OOB, but a few extras scavenged from left over Skywave & Tamiya detail sets. I've also had a go at the aerial spreader on "B" turret using stretched sprue.

On to the painting stage now!

There'll be another hiatus until Friday at the earliest as I'll be onto my 2nd leg of my nightshift rota (finished 4 nights on Sunday, off last night, back in for 4 more tonight. At least I get 5 days off in a row! :yahoo: ).

I'm interested in the colors you will use, when i had taht kit 40 years ago, the instructions were in japanese and the box art showed it as dark, nearly panzer gray in color, with lt wood decks!

I imagine it should be something like Kure Grey and IJN deck tan.

Latest progress:

As I'm brush painting, this will take a while!!

kakobuild20.jpg

nice build star,how many parts the Kit contains ???

Not sure, no mention as to exactly how many, but it's a considerable improvement on the original kit!

I'm interested in the colors you will use, when i had taht kit 40 years ago, the instructions were in japanese and the box art showed it as dark, nearly panzer gray in color, with lt wood decks!
I imagine it should be something like Kure Grey and IJN deck tan.

I use a mixture of Humbrol colours. No. 27 Sea Grey for the main colour, then for the deck I use No. 9 Tan overlaid by a single coat 29 RAF Earth Brown to dull it down.

In true "Blue Peter" fashion, here's one I made earlier:

kakobuild21.jpg

An Aoshima Chokai which I bought at the same time as the Kako kit. It gives an idea as to how the colour scheme comes out, although the varnish has yellowed a bit.

Edited by MikeR

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: not much has happened in the last two weeks, but I'm now on Hols for the next fortnight. :yahoo:

Time to get the nose to the grindstone! :evil_laugh:

Hi Mike, i am far from being any thing like an informed modeller, but just a heads up, my references show that the Kako had linoleum covered decks. I am watching carefully as i have the older version in my to do pile, and need as much help as possible. Looking great so far.

Mick

Hi Mike, i am far from being any thing like an informed modeller, but just a heads up, my references show that the Kako had linoleum covered decks. I am watching carefully as i have the older version in my to do pile, and need as much help as possible. Looking great so far.

Mick

Yep, linoleum: possibly one of the worst deck coverings from a fire retardent point of view! :huh:IIRC, the IJN removed the lino from all internal spaces during the war to reduce the fire risk. Perhaps they did learn something from Midway! :jump_fire:

Anyways, here's today's progress:

kakobuild22.jpg

kakobuild23.jpg

kakobuild24p.jpg

Preliminary coat of Humbrol No. 9 Gloss Tan on the deck, to be followed by No. 29 Earth Brown to dull it down. It gives a nice worn look to the deck. Black funnel caps and a wee dose of No. 121 IAF Sand to start off the boats and the blast bags. I've also made a start on the spare aircraft floats either side of the fore funnel.

kakobuild25.jpg

Aircraft coming along nicely: One each E8N "Dave" and E7K "Alf" in the two tone "China Theater" camouflage. I'm doing these in a batch as I never did the aircraft for the Chokai, so I'd thought I'd get off my posterior and get them done too.