Hunter Intake colour?

Dave Fleming

I've seen conflicting descriptions of the colour of the interior of Hunter inateks - is it a grey, and 'off white' or oxidised natural aluminium (which i greyish anyway....)

Blame drewe as his Hunter builds have inspired me to go out and buy a kit! (OK, I have two in 'stock but they are in the garage and it's cold!).

BTW the one I bought must be old stock as it didn't hav ethe brake chute tail plane!

I had a quick check at Airliners.net and it looks like the majority have gloss white on the splitter plate so I would assume the trunking would be the same? A couple of pics of earlier airframes seem to have dark grey interiors.

HTH

Paul Harrison

I've seen conflicting descriptions of the colour of the interior of Hunter inateks - is it a grey, and 'off white' or oxidised natural aluminium (which i greyish anyway....)

Blame drewe as his Hunter builds have inspired me to go out and buy a kit! (OK, I have two in 'stock but they are in the garage and it's cold!).

BTW the one I bought must be old stock as it didn't hav ethe brake chute tail plane!

Hunter intakes were always a light colour to make visual inspection easier.

Early aircraft had their intakes painted in an aluminium paint but fairly soon the interior, and often the forward edges of the intakes, were covered with a neoprene rubber coating to protect them from dents, scratches etc. caused by debris entering there. This neoprene coating is white (very quickly turning off-white) in colour. It covers the interior surface of the intake 'trunking' plus the boundary layer splitter plate. It was sometimes brought right out and around the entrance to the intake which is why you sometimes see Hunters with a white 'outline' to their intakes.

Unless you've got reference photos to prove otherwise, I would go for an intake interior and splitter plate colour of slightly off-white every time.

Hunter intakes were always a light colour to make visual inspection easier.

Early aircraft had their intakes painted in an aluminium paint but fairly soon the interior, and often the forward edges of the intakes, were covered with a neoprene rubber coating to protect them from dents, scratches etc. caused by debris entering there. This neoprene coating is white (very quickly turning off-white) in colour. It covers the interior surface of the intake 'trunking' plus the boundary layer splitter plate. It was sometimes brought right out and around the entrance to the intake which is why you sometimes see Hunters with a white 'outline' to their intakes.

Unless you've got reference photos to prove otherwise, I would go for an intake interior and splitter plate colour of slightly off-white every time.

This is for a 50s aircraft, so 'off white sounds fine!

Thanks!