Best 1/72 F-16 kit/s

davidsm

Hi everyone. I'm looking to get a few f-16 kits at some point soon. Am I right in thinking Revell is the best in 1/72 or do others come close?

Cheers

David

Which version?..revell it's a wondefull version fo A or A/mlu europe

F-16c block 50/52 it's good the academy kit

for F-16D block 50/52...many question for all kit that appears..in the model world

these are my feelings

As others have pointed put, the particular version does make a difference in the selection of which manufacturer.

The Revell AG kits are nice, and build up well with minor fuss.

The Academy kit is also a very nice kit, I am in the middle of a build but haven't had too much trouble yet. They have several kits including a KF-16 (South Korean AF) and a Block 50

Hasegawa has a nice kit as well, you just have to be careful as there is a newer mold and an older mold.

Italeri is not horrible, but clearly at the bottom of the pecking order.

If you want a late model Polish/Israeli with conformal fuel tanks and spine, you have to either go with the Kinetic kit or buy a Hase/Academy kit and a resin conversion that will cost more than the kit.

It's hard to go wrong with any of the above mentioned kits. None are completely perfect, but no kit ever is. They all look the part and have their own pros and cons. I've got them all and can send you some sprue shots if you need them.

Oh, and try checking out this link, it is to the 1/72 kit census site, lots of great info on any and all 1/72 aircraft kits. Beware thopugh it is not completely up to date, for instance it does not have the Academy kits listed.

http://72nd.webs.com/aircraft.htm

Here is the F-16 page: http://72nd.webs.com/aircraft/GD/F-16.htm

Edited by JasonW

They all have major deficiencies.

They Revell kit is probably the best overall 72nd F-16, but it can only be built as an F-16A or Block 25/30/32 C/D model, as it lacks the proper heavy weight gear and bulged MLG doors.

The Academy kits could have easily been a first place contender had they corrected some of the major shape errors carried over from the 32nd scale kit; the bloated/swollen intakes, square vertical tail dorsal, and the too tapered nose (upper/lower profile) among the other errors. Academy’s new F-16s are only the heavy weight gear variants. Even though the HWG is done well, the wheels are too fat and the bulge contours on the MLG doors are way off.

Hasegawa still holds its own, though suffers from poor detailed, and the same short MLG wheel well span as the 48th and 32nd scale kits. Like with the 48th scale kits, Hasegawa has updated the kit with late F-16C/D parts; LEF RWR antennas, MCID intake (the best mouth profile in the scale BTW), Block 50 wheels (though not that accurate), and bulged NLG doors. Just as with their 48th scale kit, Hasegawa does not provide the proper HWG.

Hasegawa’s cockpit leaves a lot to be desired with no raised detail and poorly done seats. Revell’s cockpit is decent, but the glare shield is flat and pudgy. The Hasegawa glare shield is oddly shaped, as is Academy’s. Overall, the Academy cockpit is best; to include the seat.

It’s a shame about Academy’s F-16, as they had a real opportunity to leap to the top spot of best 72nd F-16. It won’t be too long though, before Tamiya takes that slot.

Mike V

Thankyou for the feed back there. I'm after building a Turkish, Pakistani and Belgian Tigermeet. So I think the Revell one should sufise.

I have to say I don't know the first thing when it comes to different types of F-16!!

It’s a shame about Academy’s F-16, as they had a real opportunity to leap to the top spot of best 72nd F-16. It won’t be too long though, before Tamiya takes that slot.

Mike V

Tamiya hasn't made a 1/72 kit in ages, what makes you think that?

The Academy kits could have easily been a first place contender had they corrected some of the major shape errors carried over from the 32nd scale kit; the bloated/swollen intakes, square vertical tail dorsal, and the too tapered nose (upper/lower profile) among the other errors. Academy’s new F-16s are only the heavy weight gear variants. Even though the HWG is done well, the wheels are too fat and the bulge contours on the MLG doors are way off.

Mike V

I'm toying with the idea of getting the Academy KF-16 (mainly because I want a ROKAF Viper), so I'm wondering if the front end can be altered? I've ordered the Wolfpack update set (LINK HERE), but I see that the replacement nose only goes back so far back.

I'm assuming that the new nose won't be completely correct, but is it any better in shape than the kit one?

BTW, if Tamiya have a 1/72 Viper in the works, it better not be a rebox of the Italeri kit!

Mike. :)

Yeah, the nose is off, but isn’t near as bad as the swollen intake profiles. I can live with the nose issue, though would prefer an accurate correction. I think by early next we should see corrections for both the Academy 72nd NSI and MCID Intakes. 32nd Intake corrections will be out late this year. The Academy 72nd scale kits just need a few key areas fixed and they would be great.

I have the KF-16 set and they really didn't correct the nose upper/lower profile. I was more disappointed that they neglected the flattened ill-shaped glare shield. The baseplate for the AIFF antennas is overdone; being too thick especially for this scale. They also misrepresented "ASPJ" (Airborne Self-Protection Jammer) update. The instructions refer to the intake light base antennas as ASPJ, but these are part of the ALR-56M radar warning system, not ASPJ.

Mike V

Edited by Mike V

• 4 years later...

As five years (almost) elapsed can anybody compare in few words the then-winning Revell and runner-up Academy 72nd scale F-16s versus the new tools from Tamiya and Dragon/Cyber Hobby? Is really Tamiya THAT good?

Cheers

Michael

Consensus seems to be that Tamiya is best, but builds only as a single variant. The Revell kit is still regarded as second best, with plenty of options in the C boxing (IIRC, the current one is SoloTurk).

The Cyberhobby one still hasn't been released AFAIK.

Cheers!

• Like 1

As I understand it, and assuming you mean 1:72, things stand thusly...

F-16A - Go for Revell or possibly Hasegawa, though that's slightly less detailed.

F-16B - Probably as above. I've the Hobbycraft one myself which apparently has shape issues, but for what I want it for it's not an issue.

F-16C - Again Revell, both large and small mouth versions, though I believe that the bulged doors aren't included. The Hasegawa is a good, but less detailed alternative, and the big mouths....aren't big. There's a good comparison report somewhere.

F-16CJ - Tamiya all the way!

F-16D - Bit of a tough one, there's not many options so probably Fujimi or Hasegawa.

F-16E/F - Hasegawa is the only game in town!

F-16I - Hasegawa, there is the Kinetic, but it's apparently not so good.

F-16N - Fujimi kit allows both the F-16N and the TF-16N. Not built it yet but looks good in the box. There's also, unsurprisingly, a Hasegawa version!

Any one else think different?

Edited by charlie_c67
  • Like 1

good topic!! i've ordered an Italeri F-16A in 1:72 because it has the Venezuelan Air Force livery. I also purchased a Mister Craft F-16 A because it too came with the venezuelan air force decals but that kit it's not very good...the fit is very poor and requires quite a lot of filling...

good topic!! i've ordered an Italeri F-16A in 1:72 because it has the Venezuelan Air Force livery. I also purchased a Mister Craft F-16 A because it too came with the venezuelan air force decals but that kit it's not very good...the fit is very poor and requires quite a lot of filling...

The Mistercraft kit is a bad quality clone of the Italeri one. I have the same Venezuelan air force boxing that I bought for your same reason but the decals in mine are useless, hope you've had more luck with yours

F-16A - Go for Revell or possibly Hasegawa, though that's slightly less detailed.

I prefer Revell. Hasegawa has some shape issues I don't like.

F-16B - Probably as above. I've the Hobbycraft one myself which apparently has shape issues, but for what I want it for it's not an issue.

Hobbycraft has wings and tailplanes moved about 3 mm forward. It is a copy of Italeri which had only tailplanes (post Block 15 version) moved and too close to the wing. Hobbycraft noticed that and... moved the wing too. Here is how to correct it:

98.jpg

Revell wins hands down, however it is very hard to find it now.

F-16C - Again Revell, both large and small mouth versions, though I believe that the bulged doors aren't included. The Hasegawa is a good, but less detailed alternative, and the big mouth....aren't big. There's a good comparison report somewhere.

I agree. Bulged doors are available from Attack Squadron.

F-16CJ - Tamiya all the way!

I haven't built it yet, but it seems you're right.

F-16D - Bit of a tough one, there's not many options so probably Fujimi or Hasegawa.

If you have Revell F-16B and C, you can move the additional "C version" frames to B kit and build F-16A and D.

My F-16s[ (various kits) are here. Currently I have Polish F-16C and D in progress (Revell).

Edited by rav

Hi, gentlemen,

Agree with all of these comments.

Any big mouth C can be built using the Tamiya kit. Any other (Revell or Hasegawa) requires the bulged doors/strenghtened u/c legs.

(Academy's is said to have shape issues in the nose, in the vertical fin and, for real men, the coaming. Surface is well detailed but just a bit rough. However it comes with bulged doors/strenghtened u/c. Nevertheless, having the Tamiya kit, I wouldn't consider it exception made of basis for conversions)

Regarding the availability of the Revell kit: Revell F-16C can be built as an A (the parts are there). Revell F-16B can be built as an A, provided a Rob Taurus vac canopy is added. F-16C can be built as either big or normal mouth, GE or PW engined, buts lacks bulged doors/strenghtened u/c legs.

An F-16D Block 52 Plus can be built (OOB) from Kinetic "European" box (72002). Tough kit with rough surfaces and difficult assembly; have just finished one. But has every detail more or less correct (and no nose droop!)

A Sufa can be built from Hasegawa (the old D with conversion pieces; looks good) or the Kinetic (same kit as above)

An early big-mouthed, enlarged-spined Israeli F-16D Block 30 Barak cannot be built OOB.

I would really stay clear of any kit other than Tamiya, Revell and Hasegawa (exception made, if talking strictly OOB, of the Kinetic 52 Plus -for the moment). Esci, Italeri, Hobbyboss or the other concoctions mentioned above are a generation or two behind.

Guess we leave the conversions for another post (Airwaves resin F-16D spine for one?)

FErnando

Edited by Fernando
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...