Bae Hawk Cockpit colours?

Fandango

Hi folks,

I know there are a lot of Hawk fanatics around this section of the forum, can anyone help me out please?

I normally build WW2 aircraft (and the odd target) but the Revell 1/32 Hawk kit combined with the hannants decals sheet for the black display aircraft with the large roundel with the heart in the middle on the underside of the plane proved to tempting to resist. However, having studied the instructions I am at a total loss as to what colours the cockpit should be! Revell call outs seem to be mainly for silky grey matt (or something equally vague) and anthracite for the pit area. The photos I have checked seem to suggest something like medium sea grey and RLM66, but that's probably because I am only familiar with the WW2 colours!

Can anyone please give me the correct cockpit colours and if possible the corresponding Xtracolour or Xtracrylic paints?

Also, what would be the correct colour for the flight suit / helmet for a pilot of the above Hawk?

Thanks in advance for any help people can offer

Tom

Hi folks,

I know there are a lot of Hawk fanatics around this section of the forum, can anyone help me out please?

I normally build WW2 aircraft (and the odd target) but the Revell 1/32 Hawk kit combined with the hannants decals sheet for the black display aircraft with the large roundel with the heart in the middle on the underside of the plane proved to tempting to resist. However, having studied the instructions I am at a total loss as to what colours the cockpit should be! Revell call outs seem to be mainly for silky grey matt (or something equally vague) and anthracite for the pit area. The photos I have checked seem to suggest something like medium sea grey and RLM66, but that's probably because I am only familiar with the WW2 colours!

Can anyone please give me the correct cockpit colours and if possible the corresponding Xtracolour or Xtracrylic paints?

Also, what would be the correct colour for the flight suit / helmet for a pilot of the above Hawk?

Tom

Hawk cockpit colour is dark sea gray. I tend to use Humbrol 140 for my Hawks/Tornado's. Maybe not 100% correct but looks good to my eye.

As to flight suits, they would be the usual green or as he's a display jockey, it may be black.

HTH

hi mate

well where do i start, the pilot

the normal flying suits are green however, if you are doing a display scheme it would be black, with green flying jacket (and white helmet for that airframe)

now ive build a few hawks, and built all the kits available and not one has a paint that matches another, however, i have used medium sea grey on one but thought that was a bit dark so on recent builds i have used revells 'silk grey' (cant cent give you the number cos ive ran out and binned the tub) which taking into account the scale effect comes out well, if your using xtraclyix id add a couple of drops of white to the medium sea grey or even just use light sea grey

hope that helps

im sure one of the chaps will be along soon with better answers

92106.jpg

hope this helps

While on this subject does anyone know what the bag-like fitting is on the cockpit rear bulkhead and is it a Khaki colour?

I've noticed it in a couple of B+W photos; suspect it may be a stowage bag for the seat safety pins perhaps. Sorry

Fandango - not meaning to hijack your thread.....

The bag-like fitting on the cockpit rear bulkhead was green and used for the Aircraft servicing records (RAF Form 700).

The seat pins had thier own stowage between the cockpits and on the cockpit coamings.

Edited by st george

On our (RAAF) aircraft, that bag is used to store the rear seat solo flight apron, oh, and our cockpits are dark admiralty grey.

Probably not much use to anyone though. :P

Cheers,

Motty.

Hi folks,

Tom

Most sources quote Dark Admiralty Grey for the cockpit interiors of the Hawk and other modern British aircraft. Images of later aircraft however show a much lighter colour. The Revell mix for the Typhoon is almost spot on for Medium Sea Grey which looks right compared with photos of Canadian and Australian Hawks and the Typhoon.