Airfix TSR.2 ?news?

Obi-Jiff Kenobi

Just looked at Hannants website for the Airfix Nimrod, and at the end of the blurb about it they've added the following:

PS We have been told that the TSR.2 will not be made again for at least 2 years.

I hadn't heard that anywhere else, did I miss out or is it news?

Their rep at Telford said that the TSR.2 in that scale wouldn't be made for another few years, but TSR.2s can be made in other scales. A local rep confirmed that they are looking at releasing it in 1:48, possibly next year... depending on the rest of the schedule. Some bloody interesting stuff was conveyed to my esteemed colleague Nige the other day by their rep. It speaks volumes about Hornby's commitment to Airfix.

I'll leave Nige to dish the full dirt on the matter when he's decided what shade of fuscia to paint his hobby room :rolleyes:

For those of us into railway modelling, Hornby's committment to Hornby has been very evident over the last 7 or 8 years, with a LOT of new tools, including a mixture of items new to the Hornby range, and direct replacements for older models. For those reasons, I got very excited :boom: when Hornby bought Airfix.

Think along the lines of :

1/72 Valiant

1/48 TSR 2 (with no release of the 1/72 for at least 2 years)

and, your going to love this...................

1/24 Mosquito. Thats not a typo 1/24.

I spoke to a local rep yesterday and he stated that the 1/24 Mossie, which never came to be in the 70's due to the spiralling cost of oil is likely to be produced. It would appear that Hornby are very committed to the Airfix brand and the future is loking rosey.

By the way theres a special money programme being done. Which covers the rise and fall of Airfix being aired this week. The details of its content can be found HERE.

The Nimrod and Canberra will be with us in January and I held the new Tardis complete with figures in my sweaty hands yesterday. The rep just wouldn't let me keep them. Said something about he needs his job to pay the mortgage. never mind.

Nige.

1/72 Valiant

and, your going to love this...................

1/24 Mosquito. Thats not a typo 1/24.

I spoke to a local rep yesterday and he stated that the 1/24 Mossie, which never came to be in the 70's due to the spiralling cost of oil is likely to be produced. It would appear that Hornby are very committed to the Airfix brand and the future is loking rosey.

:o PLEEEEEEEEEEASE GOD, LET THIS BE TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pray:

This news is "trouser tent making" exciting. :devil:

1/72 Valiant

This news is not going to help me get my Dynavector TSR2 or my Mach 2 Valiant made!

It would be hard to do the latter given that Hornby do not have access to the matchbox tooling.

Well if they want to sneak over to Revell's HQ one night & steal it, I've got plenty of camo gear they can borrow :ninja:

Well, given that Revell owns the Victor tooling, that's a non-goer from the start. But even if they didn't, "retooling" an existing kit is sort of a non-goer from the start as well. For what they'd have to do and what they'd have to spend, they'd probably be money ahead to simply cut a new Victor tool from scratch. It'd be sort of like someone handing you a nicely decorated cake and asking you to disassemble it into its constituent ingredients, then make a better cake out of it. Not really feasible. Much easier to just bake a new cake. Y'see?

:)

J

There's a tale that I heard a few years back that alleged that Matchbox had actually asked Airfix to assist them when they did the tool for the Victor as they were unused to producing anything that large. The allegations do hold some water when you examine the Victor sprues - the pilots look more Airfix and the sprue shapes themselves do not resemble Matchbox ones of the time.

As for TSR2... There's a 144th kit (apparently available on a certain web based auction site) that is very similar in breakdown to the Airfix kit and there's also apparently a 72nd kit available too. Not the Airfix kit but apparently very, very close.

As for TSR2... There's a 144th kit (apparently available on a certain web based auction site) that is very similar in breakdown to the Airfix kit and there's also apparently a 72nd kit available too. Not the Airfix kit but apparently very, very close.

With CNC/CAD/CAM designs being contracted out to third parties this doesn't surprise me. Even if one person or organisation buys the rights to a given design it only needs tweaking in one or more areas and it becomes original - again! Also with manufacture of tooling being farmed out there must be numerous opportunities to hijack or simply copy files.

peebeep

I have to be honest, I haven't actually seen this "new" kit, I've only heard about it in passing, so it many be a case of chinese whispers purple monkey dishwashers.

I have seen the 144th one built up and it does look very nice. The lads on the TSR2 SIG had one on the display at Telford. I'd like a pair to have refuelling from an Airfix VC10.

Edit: I did a quick search on evilbay and found a few of the 144th kits, admittedly only available from Hong Kong.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CafeReo-Big-Bird-2-1...1QQcmdZViewItem

It does look extremely nice though.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0

No it isn't Dave, the Tokiwa is resin and the Cafe Reo is a styrene kit. The Cafe Reo is a Trading Kit (or Gashapon) from Japan which is from Volume 2 of the Big Bird series of five or six models that all come in exactly the same box so you don't know what you've got til you open it up. Each series often has an extra, rarer, kit that is made in much lower numbers than the normal set. Western importers usually open all the boxes so they can tell which models are in the boxes and you can take your pick. A lot of them are sold in plastic eggs and boxes via vending machines in Japan. They are sort of like Kinder Eggs with amazing stuff inside instead of a pile crap.

There is also a rocket boosted spaceplane version of the TSR 2 from an anime series called Stratos!

Kotobukiya are supposed to be releasing a 1/35th scale Star Wars X-Wing with hanger diorama, ground crew and ground equipment in this way in 2008. The X-wing has a lot of internal detail in all the weapons and electronics bays.

There are a lot of aircraft series that have a constant 1/144th scale including Japanese and Luftwaffe Secret Project stuff as well as P-61's, P-51's, Seaking helicopters and many many others.

They also do prepainted series of super heroes figures like X-Men and Batman as well as sets from ALIENS, Thunderbirds and UFO.

Pretty much anything you can think off has or will be done by them, I just wish they would release some of the stuff as normal kits. They'd make a fortune!

HTH

Paul Harrison

PS this was mostly found out by accidentally taking a wrong turn on the net a couple of weeks ago! :speak_cool:

But back to the big news :winkgrin: , a 1/24 injection Mossie! I'd better get saving now. This was one kit I hoped that Airfix would do, as they seemed to be making the great lost models, ones that never got off the drawing board in the old days (Nimrod, TSR.2 etc). If it's true, and if they don't get cold feet like they did in the 1970s, I need a shedfull of those babies! I almost wish I was still living in Hatfield, within sight of the old DH place. Never could bring myself to call it BAe...

I can feel a trip to London Colney coming on.

With modern measuring and analysing technology no kit is safe from counterfitting, they dont need the original cad files. The sprues can be 3d scanned and reproduced into a cad file and then the tooling created.

The problem now though is that China has caught up with the wests manufacturing technology and with labour and overhead costs so small, they can create anything at a minimum of the cost we can. So counterfitting a kit would cost them 5p in tooling and a massive profit per kit, with no risk of being caught.

Why dont we stop buying these kits, and protect the companies like Hornby that are creating new designs and keeping the hobby going forward.

No it isn't Dave, the Tokiwa is resin and the Cafe Reo is a styrene kit. The Cafe Reo is a Trading Kit (or Gashapon) from Japan

There is also a rocket boosted spaceplane version of the TSR 2 from an anime series called Stratos!

Ah! Thanks Paul, I've seen the Stratos kit before, but not this one.