Right then...an Academy SPAD XIII in 1/72

phat trev

I remember building one of these Academy SPAD's when I was about 11 and at the time loved it because (I think) the top wings went on easily and the French muli-colour scheme was one of my first 'painted on my own' aircraft.

Got myself another one for 'peanuts' a while back and want to relive my childhood again for a bit. This time though I am going to add a bit of rigging and finish it in either an RFC overall PC10 or PC12 if the SPAD XIII was used in this scheme? or complete a Post War American aircraft. Both of which will require a bit of research as I really do not know squat about the SPAD XIII (odd, as I have always admired this aircraft)

Anyone else built one? I have read somewhere (could have been here) that it is a better shape/size than the Revell one so thats a good start I hope. :pilot:

Hello, Phat -

I built this particular kit a few years but I have to say I disappointed in it. The kit is basic in the extreme. There is an advantage in that it is a simple kit to put together. However, there is no cockpit to talk off - just an opening in the top of the fuselage with what looks like a bench seat mouded in solid with the rest of the fuselage. Also, the guns are moulded directly onto the nose. In itself not a problem - but the shape does not resemble a machine gun at all and they look like a couple of ugly bazookas.

That said, I've no doubt a bit of extra work could be put in to improve the look of it a bit. I've also built the Revell kit. Personally, I feel this looks (certainly not perfect) better to me.

Not sure about the colours (others on this forum will likely know) but I think even the RFC versions had the camoflage scheme. I believe some of the French versions had a more straightforward single schemes.

Certainly worth building if you got the kit for a good price though. Post up pictures once you have completed the kit.

Good luck on the build!

Epeeman

I've yet to come across an RFC Spad XIII in other than the French 5 colour (and I have a spare Eduard kit wiating for such an opportunity, although it's possible one may have been repainted or even one delivered in 'ecru'!)

One other point about the RFC XIIIs is that all but one of them had the early rounded wing tips rather than the square ones in the Academy kit, so a bit of filing would be needed.

Not sure about American schemes, but i have a copy of the Windsock Datafile on the subject somewhere.

Regarding the Revell kit and comparison, the Revell is actually slightly larger than 1/72 (about 1/70th IIRC) and depicts the early rounded wing type. Best Spad XIII in 1/72 is the Eduard kit by a country mile.

• Like 2

Just measured a rather old and battered Revell Spad X111 that is destined for the spares box. The wing span was 4.65ins which scaled out at 27' 10". That is about a scale foot too long. The length, including prop, came out to a scale 21' 3", a scale 7" too long and the height scaled at 8' 4", about 5" too high. Fuselage width and depth seemed to be within scale inches of the original. Definitely more chunky than Airfix's V11 or Acedemy's X111 but within my tolerance levels although I might be tempted to reduce the wing span. By the way the Academy Spad wings are a scale foot too short according to my trusty ruler which measured them at 4.15".

My aircraft measurements came from Munson's Fighters 1914 - 19, published by Blandford Press. Hope they're accurate.

Regards, Steve

Just measured a rather old and battered Revell Spad X111 that is destined for the spares box. The wing span was 4.65ins which scaled out at 27' 10". That is about a scale foot too long. The length, including prop, came out to a scale 21' 3", a scale 7" too long and the height scaled at 8' 4", about 5" too high. Fuselage width and depth seemed to be within scale inches of the original. Definitely more chunky than Airfix's V11 or Acedemy's X111 but within my tolerance levels although I might be tempted to reduce the wing span. By the way the Academy Spad wings are a scale foot too short according to my trusty ruler which measured them at 4.15".

My aircraft measurements came from Munson's Fighters 1914 - 19, published by Blandford Press. Hope they're accurate.

Regards, Steve

Is your original wing span with the rounded tips or the 'clipped' square tips?

Is your original wing span with the rounded tips or the 'clipped' square tips?

They look rounded to me. I got the most recent issue from MZ last year with the RFC and French markings and they are identical to my eyes. My " original " has American roundels and I think was supposed to be made up as Rickenbacker's machine.

Cheers, Steve

They look rounded to me. I got the most recent issue from MZ last year with the RFC and French markings and they are identical to my eyes. My " original " has American roundels and I think was supposed to be made up as Rickenbacker's machine.

Cheers, Steve

Sorry, I meant the dimension you used for the 'too short' on the Academy kit.

Sorry, I meant the dimension you used for the 'too short' on the Academy kit.

I think they're rounded. Definitely more so than the Airfix Spad V11. The chord is also wider than the Airfix but slightly less than the Revell. Should have quoted 4.3" for the Academy span which my mental arithmetic says isn't far off 25' 9'', not 4.15". My mistake, sorry.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks for the size details guys. Epeeman, those guns (if you can call them that!) are very strange looking, it looks an easy task to remove them and replace with better looking vickers parts (annoying but I sold a 1/72 Aeroclub WW1 parts etch set on here the other month! with loads of bits I could have used to add detail, doh..)

Thinking of creating a SPAD S.VII with the kit? I have found some interesting RFC machines in PC10 & PC11, in particular a 30 Sqn RFC machine in Iraq with a lewis gun mounted above the wing :speak_cool:

will have to look into the differences between the aircraft types now.

Found some literature on the SPAD S.VII and I have decided that I need to change the following:

+ Rudder trailing edge needs to be straight (the S.XIII is cured)

+ 1 Vickers MG (prehaps a lewis MG above the wing?)

+ Larger teardrop shapes on the nose (this may actually be the Academy kit moulding these to small?)

+ top wing tips need to be shortened in lenght a wee bit (it's 1/72 so whos going to notice a particular dimension here..sorry to those who are rivet conters!!!)

+ Cabane struts are horizontal to the wings not angled?

+ cockpit needs detailing (ok I take it back to those who are rivet counters -in the nicest sense!- I do like to detail my cockpits even though no one can see half the magic.)

+ wing struts need a more scale appearance

+ rigging....errrg.

Found some literature on the SPAD S.VII and I have decided that I need to change the following:

+ Larger teardrop shapes on the nose (this may actually be the Academy kit moulding these to small?)

+ top wing tips need to be shortened in lenght a wee bit (it's 1/72 so whos going to notice a particular dimension here..sorry to those who are rivet conters!!!)

+ cockpit needs detailing (ok I take it back to those who are rivet counters -in the nicest sense!- I do like to detail my cockpits even though no one can see half the magic.)

+ rigging....errrg.

Up to you mate but both the Airfix and Pegasus V11's can still be found at reasonable prices. The corrugations would have to be reduced on the Airfix wings and you might be able to swap the radiator grill with the Academy. The Pegasus is typical short run with metal parts. Better wing ribs but the Airfix is the easier build.

Cheers, Steve

+ rigging....errrg.

Surely you mean the struts are perpendicular to the wings, not horizontal? I've never seen a horizontal strut!

• Haha 1

Sounds like a lot of work and on that basis I don't think I would dismiss the pegasus VII-

It is quite a nice moulding and crucially, the lower wing/fueslage bottom is moulded as one piece which slots into a gap in the fuselage- thus making for a strong and easy joint. (The MAC kit utilizes seperate lower wings which are a little harder to set up strongly and accurately)

The fit of the fueslage parts (the only main parts that need constructing from multiple pieces really) does require some fettling but no more so than a tired old airfix kit would need. The main challenge of course is cutting and locating your struts from the aerofoil rod supplied. however, you've got two things going for you- you can use your academy struts as a template, and they are all aligned perpendicular to the wing so it is relatively easy to set up using a basic card template or a cheap plastic set-square.

And the best thing of all is Freightdog models is currently selling the pegasus kit for £2.99....

If it would help, I can post some inbox pictures?

Will

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 1

I built the Airfix one as a kid, and have one now in my stash, but the wing ribbing is hugely over scale - if scaled up it would be like a ladder! I also have the Pegasus one on its way, (from Freightdog!) and hopefully a set of Rowan's upcoming decals for the American Squadrons.... I'm wondering if some of the Airfix parts may be useable on the Pegasus to add detail...we'll see..

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

• 6 years later...
On 17/07/2011 at 11:50 PM, Dave Fleming said:

I've yet to come across an RFC Spad XIII in other than the French 5 colour (and I have a spare Eduard kit wiating for such an opportunity, although it's possible one may have been repainted or even one delivered in 'ecru'!)

Just going back to this point, I obviously had a memory lapse, as the Datafile (which I've owned since the mid 90s) has two SPAD 13s in PC10. Funny how I remember that now.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have built this kit and yes it is very basic.  I built it OOB and rigged it with ezee line the only problem with the aeroplane is it does look very small in comparison with its contemporaries.  

I thought it was a different scale?  

Bear Paw has a point but the Academy is not a different scale. It has been manufactured as a XIII but the dimensions used are those of the VII. The upper wing is 4.3ins and the completed fuselage, including prop, is 3.3ins and the height is 1.2ins, dimensions which match those given in Munson's Fighters 1914-19 mini encyclopedia which are 25ft 8ins, 20ft 3 1/2ins and 7ft.

Regards, Steve

• Thanks 1