British Sniper - Afghanistan

1964rac

Ok, there is another Modern British Soldier from 120mini, this one arrived a couple of weeks ago and I started it today.

First of some images of the kit out of the box...

sniper01.jpgsniper02.jpg

sniper03.jpgsniper04.jpg

Here is the figure assembled ready for its under coat...

sniper05.jpgsniper06.jpg

sniper07.jpgsniper08.jpg

And here is a rough look at how it will look on its base

sniper09.jpg

The title for this figure will be "The Taliban Terminator" - it is inspired by a feature in the Sun Newspaper.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by 1964rac

The longest range recorded for a sniper kill currently stands at 2,475 m (2,707 yd) and was achieved by CoH Craig Harrison, a sniper from the Household Cavalry of the British Army. It was accomplished in an engagement in November 2009 in which two stationary Taliban machine gunners were killed south of Musa Qala in Helmand Province in Afghanistan with two consecutive shots by CoH Harrison using an Accuracy International L115A3 Long Range Rifle chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum.

Edited by hacker

I am looking forward to seeing this finished mate, are you dressing him in desert DPM or MTP?

Hi, I want to do the trousers in MTP if I can find some colour references for Valejo Paints.

I have plenty of images of the new camo scheme but not a colour chart.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

This figure looks excellent, never done a large scale figure, but may give it a go now after seeing this figure

I have been trying for some time to get references for the original CP MultiCam and MTP schemes with no luck. You could try searching for someone with the new vehicle crews by Accurate Armour, as I beleive they come with painting instructions for the MTP scheme, alternatively I am sure if you contacted AA they may tell you the colours.

Regards,

Chris.

Hi, I want to do the trousers in MTP if I can find some colour references for Valejo Paints.

I have plenty of images of the new camo scheme but not a colour chart.

Cheers

Richard

Hi mate,

I can get you an photo of MTP trousers in the flesh tomorrow if you like, you would have to try and match from the photo though!

Hi mate,

I can get you an photo of MTP trousers in the flesh tomorrow if you like, you would have to try and match from the photo though!

Acky190

That would be awesome if you could. :worthy:

I could then as you say try and match the colours.

Cheers

Richard

......alternatively I am sure if you contacted AA they may tell you the colours.

Chris

That's certainly an idea, I will email them tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up.

Richard

The longest range recorded for a sniper kill currently stands at 2,475 m (2,707 yd) and was achieved by CoH Craig Harrison, a sniper from the Household Cavalry of the British Army. It was accomplished in an engagement in November 2009 in which two stationary Taliban machine gunners were killed south of Musa Qala in Helmand Province in Afghanistan with two consecutive shots by CoH Harrison using an Accuracy International L115A3 Long Range Rifle chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum.

A 2.5 km kill with a .338 Lapua ? The shooter must have been very good, but most importantly very, very lucky ! Beside the problem with hitting a target tat far, as the round goes subsonic beyond 1600-1800 m it really does not have much killing power at 2470 m.

All previously recorded shots beyond 2 km were with .50 cal. rifles, that are in a totally different class regarding bullet energy.

Rifle issues aside, the figure looks very nice !!

Edited by Giorgio N

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello folks,

I had a bit of time off from modelling recently so have not posted any updates for this figure, untill now..

Here are some work inprogress images...

Sniperud1.jpgSniperud2.jpg

Basic colours going on...

Sniperud3.jpgSniperud4.jpg

Two versions of the rifle..

Sniperud5.jpgSniperud6.jpg

Sniperud7.jpg

Thats the painting done, letting the paint to harden overnight and then tomorrow I will apply some varnish and start the washes, filters, highlight & weathering.

I modified the base as well. I thought he need something to lean on as the pose looked a bit unatural holding the rifle in one hand.

Also added a Help For Heroes wrist band.

Will post more images soon.

Thanks for following....

Damocles: As you can see I did not go with the new MTP camo on the trousers, chicken out after a few test runs. Could not get the pattern to look anything like the reference images I have - so have gone with the old desert camo.

Cheers

Richard

Outstanding. I was very impressed with whats been done so far. I muddle with planes and find figures impossible so very much in awe.

Can I ask about one thing - the eyes? In most small figures I see the pupils are usually painted far too small giving the figure a "staring" look. Have a look at the family photo album and at the close ups and you might see what I mean. Fact is we really usualy only see a small amount of white in the eye corners with the lids covering the top and bottom of the pupils. It can make all the difference to a facial expression. Hope that comment helps

Outstanding. I was very impressed with whats been done so far. I muddle with planes and find figures impossible so very much in awe.

Can I ask about one thing - the eyes? In most small figures I see the pupils are usually painted far too small giving the figure a "staring" look. Have a look at the family photo album and at the close ups and you might see what I mean. Fact is we really usualy only see a small amount of white in the eye corners with the lids covering the top and bottom of the pupils. It can make all the difference to a facial expression. Hope that comment helps

Yah I'd echo that, its superb but the eyes are too stark, its amazing how little we do see of people's eyes from a few feet away, let alone a distance equal to 120mm or 1/35 figure, and more so in an environment like the desert. Maybe add some washes to tone them down?

Other than that...truly excellent!

Cheers guys,

Thanks for all your kind comments.

I will certainly take on board the comments on the eyes, and "look" into it.

Glad you all like, and once again thank you.

Cheers

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Brilliant work. How did u do the camo on trousers.? airbrushed or brush? I played the sniper elite WWII pc game nice one.

Cheers,

rishi

Hi Rishi,

Glad you like it. I painted the figure with brushes.

Cheers

Richard