Photo

Camping Challenge! One Night Build! In A Tent!

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Muller

Muller

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:24 PM

Some Bear Grylls modelling! Not a bad result in the end.

#22 Moofles

Moofles

Very Obsessed Member

• Frozen
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:05 AM

im currently on a long buisness trip and i had to leave all my modelling gear behind, picked up an airfix starter set and i must say its worse then crap, if i were new to this hobby i would run screaming, i feel your pain on the paint just not wanting to stick to the plastic...just..a nightmare all told. Great effort, hope mine looks as tasty as yours.

#23 Rob C

Rob C

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:15 AM

im currently on a long buisness trip and i had to leave all my modelling gear behind, picked up an airfix starter set and i must say its worse then crap, if i were new to this hobby i would run screaming, i feel your pain on the paint just not wanting to stick to the plastic...just..a nightmare all told. Great effort, hope mine looks as tasty as yours.

I agree. Bought the P-47 starter kit when I started the hobby again. Just dreadful. The brushes were quite good though and glue is well... like glue. Everything else was terrible. More like a finisher kit than starter. If I hadn't known better I'd have left it at that. Sorry, slight thread hijack.

This is a very good effort. Maybe there should be a starter kit GB.

#24 MakingModelsAgain

MakingModelsAgain

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

I agree. Bought the P-47 starter kit when I started the hobby again. Just dreadful. The brushes were quite good though and glue is well... like glue. Everything else was terrible. More like a finisher kit than starter. If I hadn't known better I'd have left it at that. Sorry, slight thread hijack.

This is a very good effort. Maybe there should be a starter kit GB.

Not at all. I agree, these starter kits could end someone's desire to pursue this hobby. My wife, in her infinite loving wisdom, just bought me the Airfix 1/72 Gloster Gladiator and it's utterly dreadful in every way. Airfix would be far better off just removing these old toolings completely as they are probably doing more harm than good. Heaven only knows how I'm going to build the damn thing!

#25 Moofles

Moofles

Very Obsessed Member

• Frozen
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

i actually also have the gladiator in my stash and its....well as stated..crap. See if airfix were to say do there starter kits with the new tool F-86 and MiG 15, perhaps even there new harrier, revert back to small pots of there enamel paints, to counter this increase the price ever so slightly up to 10 for the F-86 starter set with 4-6 small pots of paint, brush and glue and im certain you would have such a massive winner for new people entering the hobby. Instead all they get is utter tosh. SHame really...hell they could even do there new tool mk1 spit..that would be a hell of a winner.

#26 MakingModelsAgain

MakingModelsAgain

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:36 PM

Exactly. Who wouldn't mind spending a tenner on a decent kit with a few paints and glue? Not me. If you really think about it, you now actually need fairly advanced modelling skills to make something decent out of what is supposed to be entry-level model making. I'm literally battling their 1/72 B-25 Mitchell into submission - which the wife also bought me* - and some of the parts, such and the main undercarriage doors, aren't even symmetrical any more. I had to construct an inner frame to hold them in place and then fill the ENORMOUS gaps with filler and CA.

*Maybe she's trying to put me off the hobby! But then, she did buy me the big Tamiya Spit. Women!

#27 avro683

avro683

Heracleum Mantegazziani!

• Members
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:21 PM

I did that once in the 1970's, in the Lake District. The Airfix Marauder had just been released and I couldn't wait till we got home to start it. Fortunately, there wasn't much wind around!

Tony :clif:

#28 HOUSTON

HOUSTON

Completely Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

Making Models Again..
OMG !!! :shrug:

Looks good though and I betcha every time she sees it, it will always be a reminder of that day.....

Romance is alive and kicking I guess.in a weird sort of way... :argue:

SWEET !!!

Edited by HOUSTON, 21 July 2011 - 05:47 PM.

#29 MakingModelsAgain

MakingModelsAgain

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:54 PM

Looks good though and I betcha every time she sees it, it will always be a reminder of that day....

Yeah, but every time I see it, it will always remind me of that kit! :puke:

#30 stevehed

stevehed

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:30 PM

i actually also have the gladiator in my stash and its....well as stated..crap. See if airfix were to say do there starter kits with the new tool F-86 and MiG 15, perhaps even there new harrier, revert back to small pots of there enamel paints, to counter this increase the price ever so slightly up to 10 for the F-86 starter set with 4-6 small pots of paint, brush and glue and im certain you would have such a massive winner for new people entering the hobby. Instead all they get is utter tosh. SHame really...hell they could even do there new tool mk1 spit..that would be a hell of a winner.

Couldn't agree more. Starter kits are supposed to be the enticement that leads to years of participation and, in more cases than not, enjoyment of the rest of the hobby. However, although the Airfix Gladiator is probably the worst rendition to date, a true blast of the past, it is not entirely useless.

http://www.britmodel...showtopic=67910

Cheers, Steve

#31 SimonR

SimonR

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:52 PM

My 7 year old has just bought the Gnat starter set from MZ, I've not done the Airfix Gnat for 35 years so it should be interesting & fun helping him along!

Hats off to you though, thats a great effort in a tent, my missus would have killed me if i'd even thought of doing that on holiday!! :D

#32 atdb27

atdb27

So many kits ,... So little time!

• Members
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

Very Nice,

Zero Natural Light
Hurricane Lighting possibly used instead.
In tent (ions) comendable.

Tora Tora Tora

A Pearl to Harbour for years to come!

Adrian
:lol: