Camping Challenge! One Night Build! In A Tent!

Exactly. Who wouldn't mind spending a tenner on a decent kit with a few paints and glue? Not me. If you really think about it, you now actually need fairly advanced modelling skills to make something decent out of what is supposed to be entry-level model making. I'm literally battling their 1/72 B-25 Mitchell into submission - which the wife also bought me* - and some of the parts, such and the main undercarriage doors, aren't even symmetrical any more. I had to construct an inner frame to hold them in place and then fill the ENORMOUS gaps with filler and CA.

*Maybe she's trying to put me off the hobby! But then, she did buy me the big Tamiya Spit. Women!

I did that once in the 1970's, in the Lake District. The Airfix Marauder had just been released and I couldn't wait till we got home to start it. Fortunately, there wasn't much wind around!

Tony :clif:

Making Models Again..

OMG !!! :shrug:

Looks good though and I betcha every time she sees it, it will always be a reminder of that day.....

Romance is alive and kicking I guess.in a weird sort of way... :argue:

SWEET !!!

Edited by HOUSTON

Looks good though and I betcha every time she sees it, it will always be a reminder of that day....

Yeah, but every time I see it, it will always remind me of that kit! :puke:

i actually also have the gladiator in my stash and its....well as stated..crap. See if airfix were to say do there starter kits with the new tool F-86 and MiG 15, perhaps even there new harrier, revert back to small pots of there enamel paints, to counter this increase the price ever so slightly up to £10 for the F-86 starter set with 4-6 small pots of paint, brush and glue and im certain you would have such a massive winner for new people entering the hobby. Instead all they get is utter tosh. SHame really...hell they could even do there new tool mk1 spit..that would be a hell of a winner.

Couldn't agree more. Starter kits are supposed to be the enticement that leads to years of participation and, in more cases than not, enjoyment of the rest of the hobby. However, although the Airfix Gladiator is probably the worst rendition to date, a true blast of the past, it is not entirely useless.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67910

Cheers, Steve

My 7 year old has just bought the Gnat starter set from MZ, I've not done the Airfix Gnat for 35 years so it should be interesting & fun helping him along!

Hats off to you though, thats a great effort in a tent, my missus would have killed me if i'd even thought of doing that on holiday!! :D