My F-14 plan

DaveJL

Might take long, will cost some money but the result will be worth it ! I saw your VF-2 D and it looks great, if all the others will be as good you can be proud of your fleet of Cats !

Thanks very much. Yes it certainly will take a while!

15 07 11

You're gonna need a bigger house...to paraphrase a certain movie. I took part in the Tomcat Sunset GB over on ARC a few years ago....they wanted one 1/48 Tomcat to represent every squadron that flew them....they needed a big room to display them ( it was displayed in the States, was meant to be Permanent but not sure if it is still in situ) Good luck with it. There's loads of variety out there, nice kits, tons of aftermarket both in decals and resin etc. Don't be afriad of the Academy Tomcat...a bit of scribing on the forward fuselage and an adjustment to the nose goes a long way. (I seem to recall that there was a resin replacement produced by someone for the Academy nose but not sure if it's still avialable). However run very far away, very fast, from the Academy decals. You'd be better off sticking cardboard down on the kit, they're that thick.

I thought the Hobbyboss kit was a good one? The Hase 'Cat can be a complicated build. And don't forget the Monogram bird...raised panel lines surely but a lovely kit when built up with a bit of TLC. And nowhere near as dear as the Hasegawa bird ( which are only getting dearer!!)

Best of luck with the build.

Liam

15 07 11

You're gonna need a bigger house...to paraphrase a certain movie. I took part in the Tomcat Sunset GB over on ARC a few years ago....they wanted one 1/48 Tomcat to represent every squadron that flew them....they needed a big room to display them ( it was displayed in the States, was meant to be Permanent but not sure if it is still in situ) Good luck with it. There's loads of variety out there, nice kits, tons of aftermarket both in decals and resin etc. Don't be afriad of the Academy Tomcat...a bit of scribing on the forward fuselage and an adjustment to the nose goes a long way. (I seem to recall that there was a resin replacement produced by someone for the Academy nose but not sure if it's still avialable). However run very far away, very fast, from the Academy decals. You'd be better off sticking cardboard down on the kit, they're that thick.

I thought the Hobbyboss kit was a good one? The Hase 'Cat can be a complicated build. And don't forget the Monogram bird...raised panel lines surely but a lovely kit when built up with a bit of TLC. And nowhere near as dear as the Hasegawa bird ( which are only getting dearer!!)

Best of luck with the build.

Liam

The steel beach range of aftermarket parts are great. I've considered all the kits, and i like the hasegawa ones the best so i'll stick with them! Hate raised lines and could do without the hassle of re scribing all the panels on the forward fuselage on the academy kit, though it has some nice features such as the swivel wings, weapons and the bombcat update parts.

Dave

I'm building the Academy F-14A at the moment,it's not a bad kit tbh,yes the are a couple of fit issues but nothing major.The decals are up to Academy's usually crap standard for the age of the kit.But in all,it's a nice little build!

I'm building the Academy F-14A at the moment,it's not a bad kit tbh,yes the are a couple of fit issues but nothing major.The decals are up to Academy's usually crap standard for the age of the kit.But in all,it's a nice little build!

It certainly is a lot easier than the hasegawa kit! Being a bit of a nerd about the F-14 (saw a demo at NAS oceana in 1999, hooked ever since) i know the front fuselage panels are wrong and the windshield is incorrect. The weapons are the best part of it!

IMHO the hasegawa kits are so much better than the competition that I can see two "problems only": they are tricky (but after a while this is not a problem anymore) and they are expensive. If the modeller doesn't mind a more difficult kit and can afford it, any other choice is not worth the hassle. I can totally understand Dave for sticking with them !

The above comments do not apply to the hobbyboss kit, as I've yet to see it.

Edited by Giorgio N

IMHO the hasegawa kits are so much better than the competition that I can see two "problems only": they are tricky (but after a while this is not a problem anymore) and they are expensive. If the modeller doesn't mind a more difficult kit and can afford it, any other choice is not worth the hassle. I can totally understand Dave for sticking with them !

I think the trickiest part is the intakes! I tend to use FOD covers so no need to worry. The landing gear assembly is a bit fiddly too and the aires cockpits take a good bit of work to get them to fit. My biggest peeve is the lack of weapons! But i still think it's a superb kit.

On this note, I have an 'A' model to start soon. No idea which sqn though!

Have VF-84 decals at present with VF-41 and 32 (the Libyan Sukhoi and mig killer) decals on the way.

Going to be a tough one!

Dave

I think the trickiest part is the intakes! I tend to use FOD covers so no need to worry. The landing gear assembly is a bit fiddly too and the aires cockpits take a good bit of work to get them to fit. My biggest peeve is the lack of weapons! But i still think it's a superb kit.

Dave, have a read of this, it's the assembly sequence I use, it might help with eliminating some of the potential fit problems.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...8&hl=tomcat

Dave, have a read of this, it's the assembly sequence I use, it might help with eliminating some of the potential fit problems.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...8&hl=tomcat

Cheers Gary, i do most of those steps myself, bar the bit about the plastic card on the sparrow bay. Very helpful, thanks.

(ps is that F-14B still lying handy? :innocent: )

Cheers

Dave

(ps is that F-14B still lying handy? :innocent: )

Cheers

Dave

I'm hanging on to it for the the time being, I'm now thinking about doing another F-14, can't think why... :rolleyes:

If I decide to have another sale though you'll be the first to know... B)

I'm hanging on to it for the the time being, I'm now thinking about doing another F-14, can't think why... :rolleyes:

If I decide to have another sale though you'll be the first to know... B)

No problem. Should have bought it first! Kicking myself now :banghead:

Yes Merv that would be great. Do you have the decals also by any chance?

I have some on the Academy sheet,the missiles are already painted up but quite old & shabby.I have some decal stock which you could use to re-decal them.I'll drop them over Monday when I'm passing thru Ards.

I have some on the Academy sheet,the missiles are already painted up but quite old & shabby.I have some decal stock which you could use to re-decal them.I'll drop them over Monday when I'm passing thru Ards.

Thanks Merv. I can always strip them and tidy them up. Won't be at home all day so just pop them through the letter box if you don't mind. Thanks again.

I have to admit that if I had plenty of money, I'd go buy a whole bunch of Hasagawa tomcats....and I would mind having a go at different squardons as well....

thats if I had plenty of ££££££..........:(

I have to admit that if I had plenty of money, I'd go buy a whole bunch of Hasagawa tomcats....and I would mind having a go at different squardons as well....

thats if I had plenty of ££££££..........:(

Same with me. I'm selling or trading those kits that I don't want and focusing solely on these, with a few side projects, namely a Tornado, Typhoon, F-15E, a few Apache and SU-27's thrown in.

Does anyone know if the fictitious markings from 'Top Gun' are available in 1/48?

Not as far as I know, but Fightertown Decals were looking into a "Top Gun" sheet a year or so ago, but I think that the main problem with this is Paramount the film makers owning the rights and not letting them do a sheet. But you never know.

Not as far as I know, but Fightertown Decals were looking into a "Top Gun" sheet a year or so ago, but I think that the main problem with this is Paramount the film makers owning the rights and not letting them do a sheet. But you never know.

Bugger. I'm almost certain though that the jets in the movie had the same insignia as VFA-25 'fist of the fleet.' Could maybe adapt an F/A-18 sheet in this case

From a discussion over on ARC back in 2006, here are the files that were created >> Top_Gun_Decals.zip << [3.4Mb]

HTH

Good luck in your project - they do look good together when finished.

I have only the following left to do to finish mine:- VX-30, VX-31, NAWC, NATC, NFWS, NASA

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciate it. The top gun bird is way down the list, but like to know it's there. Where did you get your display picture by the way? Looks fantastic!

Dave

Does anyone know if the fictitious markings from 'Top Gun' are available in 1/48?

dont know about top gun, but I still have in mind doing a carrier dio from "The Final Countdown"...

I do have the Jolly Rogers tomcat, but getting the right squadron markings for everything else is a bit harder

dont know about top gun, but I still have in mind doing a carrier dio from "The Final Countdown"...

I do have the Jolly Rogers tomcat, but getting the right squadron markings for everything else is a bit harder

You would almost think the popularity of the film would prompt Paramount to grant decal makers the right to print a sheet!

Edited by DaveJL