P-51 and Skyraider down at Duxford Legends

canberraman

It's been reported on UKAR that P-51 Mustang "Big Beautiful Doll" has crashed at Legends, after a mid-air collision with the French Skyraider. The P-51 pilot fortunately bailed out and is OK. The Skyraider, missing a large chunk of it's right wing, made an emergency landing, again without injury to the pilot. More to follow I expect.

Teriible news but at least the crews are safe, that's what matter most.

Mark

It's been reported on UKAR that P-51 Mustang "Big Beautiful Doll" has crashed at Legends, after a mid-air collision with the French Skyraider. The P-51 pilot fortunately bailed out and is OK. The Skyraider, missing a large chunk of it's right wing, made an emergency landing, again without injury to the pilot. More to follow I expect.

Teriible news but at least the crews are safe, that's what matter most.

Mark

what? that must have been after the mass fly past at the end of the show, we left just before the second fly past and had the skyraider fly over our car as we travelled home!! just glad both crews are ok!

It happened after the second group split into groups of three. The Sky Raider, P51 and another aircraft did their "break" and the two touched. I was facing the other way at the time and didn't see the colision but as I turned around I saw the Mustang in trouble and something falling from the sky. Next thing there's a parachute and a missing mustang. Very glad no one was hurt but sad at the loss of Big Beautiful Doll.

Bloomin' heck, that is a big chunk of wing missing off the Skyraider. Real shame about BBD, but glad to hear the pilot got out ok. When was the last successful bail out of a warbird in this country?

Wow - not a good few weeks for warbirds with the Mitchell and B17 destroyed, the Seafire 17 with a wheels up landing and the Old Warden Jungman out of action. Glad both pilots are OK!!!

Darius

Wow - not a good few weeks for warbirds with the Mitchell and B17 destroyed, the Seafire 17 with a wheels up landing and the Old Warden Jungman out of action. Glad both pilots are OK!!!

Darius

which Mitchell was that?

Just got back from Legends.

The collision occured after the second Balbo pass. They'd broken into their 3 ship and were doing their break pass. This is when it happened.

A huge chunk of the wing could be seen falling off the Skyraider. The pilot of the Mustang steaded the a/c, popped the canopy and bailed out. A parachute appeared to open, from our position, just before he hit the deck and the P-51 dissapeared behind the trees at the end of the airfield.

It was quite a tense time. The commentators obviously weren't saying anything until they knew the fate of the pilot.

When they announced that he'd landed in a field and walked away, the were huge cheers and applause from the crowd. :yahoo:

It was reported that he made one of the quickest emergancy exits ever seen. :D

The Spad seemed to make quite a normal landing.

I think the pair of them ought to be buying some lottery tickets. They were both bloody lucky.

I've got some pics to go through, but I think it's safe to assume that the A-1 has now become the most photographed Skyraider ever. ;)

Sad though to have lost BBD. She's always been one of my favourites, by it could have been much worse.

I was there on the Saturday so missed this drama. But there were two incidents that little has been made of due to no losses. The German registered Buchon undercarriage popped open during his routine and managed to recycle it safely and finish the routine by landing safely. A bit later, the Curtiss Hawk 75 had undercarriage problems. The RN Sea Fury went up to look him over. I was with an old friend I met there and he listened in on airband radio relating this to me. Warning lights on the Hawk lit up and from the ground I could see his wheels were down. Eventually he landed safely and appeared to be towed off the landing area. Don't know of any subsequent actions. I presume he did not fly Sunday?

Didn't BBD crash in Berlin a few years back...

No. THis BBD was the ex Rob davies one that lived over here at Woodchurch in Kent.

what comes off the stang? from that video it doesn't look like there is much damage done by the collision.

pilot bailed out rather close to the ground, i bet he needed a change of underwear after that one!

Any opinions on what went wrong? looks to me like the raider was banking harder and faster that BBD or BBD was banking to slow and shallow??

what comes off the stang? from that video it doesn't look like there is much damage done by the collision.

pilot bailed out rather close to the ground, i bet he needed a change of underwear after that one!

Any opinions on what went wrong? looks to me like the raider was banking harder and faster that BBD or BBD was banking to slow and shallow??

From a pic I saw the spad hit the rad outlet on the rear underside fuselage looks like it may have been about to fold