1/48 Ki61-I Hei (Tony)

rowmk9

My effort for this group build will be the Japanese Ki61-I Hei HEIN (Allied reporting name Tony) built from Hasegawa's 1/48 kit. I've always liked this plane as it was one of the few Japanese aircraft to use an inline engine rather than a radial. This build will take a bit of a back seat for a few weeks while I finish another build for the Bomber GB but have no fear, I will get this one built!

I'm not sure on the markings yet, I could stick to the box art one or the two natural metal examples from the kit decals, or if I may go for some aftermarket markings if I find an option that I like.

p1080311.jpg

Some sprue pics...

p1080312l.jpg

p1080313q.jpg

Instrument panel looks quite nice with the raised detail. :)

p1080314a.jpg

and the kit decals.

p1080316.jpg

Edited by rowmk9

Grud choice Rowan-San..! Hie>>! The Emperor would be pleased...!!

banzai Cheers,

ggc

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rowan, good luck with the build.

I'm guessing this is the engine that was copied/built under licence of the DB601 found in the BF109. I think the Japanese managed to squeeze a bit more horsepower out of them and made them lighter than the germans but suffered reliability problems for it. I believe the crankshafts were the weakpoint?

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the build.

Howard

I had one for sale but decided to keep it as I don't have any models to represent Japanese aircraft in my collection and so I think I'll watch this interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

Its been a long time but I've finally made a start on the Tony, so moofles your prodding has eventually paid off :P

Here is the cockpit, straight from the box with some rudimentary masking tape belts added to the seat. The canopy will be closed on this one so I dont mind too much.

p1080587v.jpg

p1080588u.jpg

The two halves placed together, so don't worry about the gap!

p1080585.jpg

Hopefully there will be an update soon, rather than in a months time!

Hi there, I'm glad you are back. It's hard to get to the bench sometimes, isn't it? Your cockpit looks good I think. I like the seat belts (which I wouldn't dismiss as 'rudimentary') and that row of levers on the port sidewall is crazy. in a good way. lol. It reminds me of something from the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - very steam punk!

Cheers guys!

Hi there, I'm glad you are back. It's hard to get to the bench sometimes, isn't it? Your cockpit looks good I think. I like the seat belts (which I wouldn't dismiss as 'rudimentary') and that row of levers on the port sidewall is crazy. in a good way. lol. It reminds me of something from the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - very steam punk!

Yes it can be hard to find the time to model sometimes, but I love it so much that I can't shake the bug. Thanks for the kind comments about the belts, they will do ok for a closed up canopy. Haha yeah the levers do look a little steam punk agreed, but that's just how the instructions told me to paint them. Looks cool but I'm not 100% sure on the accuracy front. I'm not gonna loose sleep over it however :wicked:

Thanks guys.

I've made a bit more progess. The fuslage is closed up, and the wings are together as well. one thing I've discovered is there is a gap between at the wing root that is even on both sides. Now normally I woulf fudge this bit my stuffing in some filler, but I'm thinking maybe of plastic strip cut to size and sanded down would be better. What do you guys think?

p1080607g.jpg