Afrika Korps Uniform Colours

John

What sort of colours should I be looking at for reasonably new Afrika Korps uniform and equipment? It's for the solar helmeted figure in the Airfix Multipose set. Airfix suggest a lightish grey green with a light tan shade for the later figures.

TIA

John

Hi John,

The tropical pith helmet came in all shades, to very light tan to almost an olive green colour, depending on the maker and also on the country of origin, the DAK used Italian helmets as well as Dutch. there is no real uniform colour, so really any shade of tan would be okay.

Edited by FrancieT

Hi John

As far as I know the Afrika Korps uniforms were originaly 'reed green' which was a sort of pale olive. This then bleached out to a light tan/snd colour. Therefore early figures such as the one with the tropical hat, breeches and long boots would be more green than later period figures.

Might we worth a look here;

http://e-baccalarius.blogspot.com/2010_05_24_archive.html

I trust this helps.

Jon

Francie's beat me to it having the same book hand, Rommel's Army in Africa by Dal McGuirk, and the colours of the helmets and uniforms vary from pale sand to light ollve.

John if ever you come across a copy of that book, its well worth having - I scored mine from the local PDSA shop earlier this year for £1.99, they're going for £45 on Amazon!

Edited by Jonathan Mock

I've used the following for 15mm wargames figures:

All Vallejo paints

Early uniform - Russiam Uniform (924) as a base with a touch of tan or white for effect

Late uniform -Iraqi Sand (819) as a base.

Webbing Straps - Stone Grey (884)

Bags/ MP40 pouches and rolls German Beige (821)

For bigger figures these are just starting points.

Hope this is of some use.