The Thousand Mile War - Amchitka, Spring 1943

And they're off and running...

AleutianAirfield.jpg

First day of the group build and I have a concept at least. This is a painting of the cold, brown, windy war that was waged for nearly a year in the Aleutian Islands to kick the Japanese off a couple of distant islands in the chain that they had occupied in an unopposed landing in June 1942. This was the only occupation of US soil by an enemy in the war. There are some parallels with the German invasion of the Channel Islands, and also with the later Falklands Conflict. This part of the Pacific War was far away from the big battles and of relatively minor importance. Forces on both sides were therefore limited and the battle casualties relatively low. However, many men of both sides did die up there and many more suffered a year of utter misery fighting that greater enemy, the weather.

I have been inspired by this painting to create a diorama of one of the US airfields. For the first time in my modelling, I'm going to use more than one aircraft. Let's face it, fighters in particular and even bombers rarely operated alone. I'm turning over the possibilities in my mind right now. If cost and space were no consideration, I'd like a section of P-40s and some P-38s with possibly a single Catalina taxiing past. Unfortunately, I'll have to be a bit less ambitious. Perhaps the scene in the painting with a P-38 taxiing by would do the job? I want some dynamic action to be happening. Most of my aero-dioramas have represented a static scene with a few figures just standing around looking or talking. This time I want movement and a suggestion of the weather too. I'm thinking blowing aircraft covers being secured by muddied little men, tattered flags and tarps etc, and a group of blokes sheltering from the weather in a home made hut of some sort. In other words, a typical day on Amchitka, Winter of 1943.

IMG_0488.jpg

This book will be my first reference task. It's a general history of the campaign, with a few photos, which I'll read to get me into the mood. I actually know very little about the Thousand Mile War right now so I'm excited by the prospect of the learning just as much as the modelling.

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

There may not be many updates here during the summer, unless you want to see pictures of me reading, but I'll try to keep in touch as the ideas develop and the kits are bought. I'm also a bit busy with the Bomber Group Build right now, but that's going well and I think I can manage two builds at once. Time will tell...

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

Looking forward to see what you come up with Don

Thank you Mish. And likewise too. I'm wondering whether you and Mike will end up with exactly the same number of views, since we will be comparing your progress each time we log in. lol

Can't wait to see how this one progresses

Cheers Mike, I'm looking forward to it myself - haunting eBay for suitable aircraft! I'm also intrigued by your double build. I wonder how different the two models will be.

I suppose you will build a Diorama ???

Thanks for your interest. I most certainly will be doing an 'aerodio'.

I'm tentatively thinking of two serviceable Warhawks starting up. Pilot sitting in one with the other pilot stood on the wing for final chat with his wingman. Groundcrew all over the place including one giving wingtip clearance signals to a passing P-38E on the taxiway. There's another P40E in bits on the grass, having been cannibalised and abandoned. A Jeep and a truck perhaps. Hey, maybe the Lightning is a new one and being led by a follow me Jeep? Maybe the Lightning is a B-25!

I've just won the first of the P-40Es on eBay. Also a CMK cockpit set and a pair of Falcon canopies. The cockpit set will go into the Warhawk with no pilot inside, obviously. It's all getting quite exciting but I must avoid getting too involved just yet. I have to finish my big bent bomber group build first.

Thanks for your interest. I most certainly will be doing an 'aerodio'.

I'm tentatively thinking of two serviceable Warhawks starting up. Pilot sitting in one with the other pilot stood on the wing for final chat with his wingman. Groundcrew all over the place including one giving wingtip clearance signals to a passing P-38E on the taxiway. There's another P40E in bits on the grass, having been cannibalised and abandoned. A Jeep and a truck perhaps. Hey, maybe the Lightning is a new one and being led by a follow me Jeep? Maybe the Lightning is a B-25!

I've just won the first of the P-40Es on eBay. Also a CMK cockpit set and a pair of Falcon canopies. The cockpit set will go into the Warhawk with no pilot inside, obviously. It's all getting quite exciting but I must avoid getting too involved just yet. I have to finish my big bent bomber group build first.

Great description of your project !!! You now what you want !!

Will follow your build with great interest !!

Peter

...Will follow your build with great interest !!

Peter

...I will look forward to this entry!

Will

Thank you Peter, Will. I'm afraid you will have to wait a while before it gets really interesting, but I'll try not to disappoint you.

Although I never intended to fight a war on two fronts, it seems to be happening. I'm losing Lancaster time from the bomber GB as I get interested in researching the Aleutian Islands Campaign. Today I confirmed that there were P-39 squadrons there too. Where will it all end?

If you want to get a taste of the windy, brown, wet, nastiness of the place try this little movie. It's propaganda and full of strange things like Liberators morphing into Forts mid-mission, but there are some amazing scenes. The scruffiest airmen I ever saw for example. There are lots of ideas for my dio in here. Unfortunately the quality is poor on line and I'll be ordering a DVD soon but hey, it's free!

http://www.archive.org/details/ReportFromTheAleutians

If you are in a hurry, the best aircraft shots are probably around 17 and 26 minutes in.

The best line has to be "they fly their patrols one-fifth on instruments and four-fifths on luck"

Enjoy!

Don: I see you are getting into this... :analintruder: ..An Alaska based dio with a P-40 and supporting cast, would be wonderful... keep those creative juices flowing....

Cheers,

ggc

Don: I see you are getting into this... :analintruder: ..An Alaska based dio with a P-40 and supporting cast, would be wonderful... keep those creative juices flowing....

Cheers,

ggc

Now this one's gonna be interesting

Thanks guys. I certainly am getting into this. I've been scouring eBay for aircraft and have just secured an Eduards Dual Combo of Airacobras. The likely cast of characters is now shaping up to be a pair each of P-39 and P-40 and a passing P-38 (and perhaps a scrap P-40 in bits as well). That's three of my favourite US aircraft in one scene. Imagine them all together in such an interesting airfield setting, with stores, tents and some really strange looking people. On terrain which has deep ditches and streams running through it, steep hills, mud, PSP, and corduroy roads! Hardly any boring flat surfaces at all and only a little artistic license needed in cramming everything together into a transportable base! And no vegetation apart from moss to worry about! And anyone can do mud! And windblown flags and tarps! Oh my goodness, this will be a blast!

I realise I'm throwing my credit card around like it was stolen right now but this will keep me busy for months with the challenge of the most complex aerodiorama I ever attempted. It will also give me lots to write about and the stimulus of you interest will help keep me focused on the task.

I'll try to be finished by Christmas (It will all be over by Christmas. Where have I heard that before?) but maybe Telford 2012 should be my deadline? We do go to Telford, don't we Mish?

Right, I'm off to bed and will doubtless fall asleep plotting my campaign.

Seeya,

Don, you are an inspiration to us lesser modelers......BTW what scale are you planning to use..? It sounds like it's 1/48...however 1/72 may be more manageable...also, just a thought...the B-24D was used in this theater of operations.........having a mud splattered B-24 in your build would look cool. { like I said, more manageable in 1/72} ...

Cheers,

ggc

Don, you are an inspiration to us lesser modelers......BTW what scale are you planning to use..? It sounds like it's 1/48...however 1/72 may be more manageable...also, just a thought...the B-24D was used in this theater of operations.........having a mud splattered B-24 in your build would look cool. { like I said, more manageable in 1/72} ...

Cheers,

ggc

There were B-17s and B-25s and -26s too. And Catalinas! I've never done a Catalina before. However, for me it has to be 1:48 and this imposes some practical limits.

The absolute end-stop would be the base size, I guess. It has to to be one-man-portable and fit on a trestle table at shows; no more than 1 metre square then. I'm going to look for a big 'really useful box' to carry/store it in which will set the final dimensions and then cram as much activity as possible into that space. If I could replace the P-38 on my imagined taxiway with a passing big bomber would it look grand - or overcrowded? And am I being grandiose in thinking I could pull that off? Am I setting myself up to fail OR am I taking on a longer term project than ever before because of a sensibly growing confidence? Ah the psychology of the plastic!

Whatever goes into it, this will be a long project. I build slowly anyway and I will lose interest at times so planning for an under-bed storage where it can wait for me to return is a sound move. I'll stick with the group build and by Xmas there will be something to enter into the poll, but there will still be much to do.

One thing is certain, I will only be able to keep up my interest with help and encouragement from the Britmodeller gang. That's definitely keeping me working hard on the Lancaster. It's like having a bunch of friendly charge hands urging me to produce! For all the lurkers out there who haven't yet posted and joined in fully I recommend getting stuck in. It's a great club!

(p.s I'm a little uncomfortable with that 'lesser modeller' concept. I consider us all to be equals, all hobby modellers together, and really don't want to be looking down at anyone from any pedestal of 'greatness'. Remember, you haven't seen me finish anything yet and this might just come to nothing. It hurts when someone falls off a pedestal so I hereby reserve my right to fail just like everyone else. lol.)

Only tip I would offer is from my railway modelling days- and that is; if you want things to look bleak, keep everything very uncluttered. (I used to model railways of the Scottish highlands, and my layout looked much better when I removed about 2/3 of the detail I had spent years cramming in to it!)

Will

+1 to the above!

Even though the pictures / paintings you have shown are quite cluttered, I think this could be a case of less is best...

With regards to your 'lesser modeller' comments, I'm in awe of people who have the skills and artistic mind to do dioramas like yours. I can follow instructions and produce a result I'm normally fairly happy about, but I wouldn't even know where to start in a project like you're doing! It's inspiring and I can't wait to see the finished product ( even though that'll be a good while away I reckon! ).

J.

if you want things to look bleak, keep everything very uncluttered.

Will

+1 to the above!

Even though the pictures / paintings you have shown are quite cluttered, I think this could be a case of less is best...

J.

Thanks for your advice guys, even though you have seriously challenged my assumptions! I like that because it gives me a chance to give those assumptions the once over and make sure I still hold with them.

OK, it's still an airfield, even if it was a very cluttered and busy one. Airfields are mostly empty space, I agree. However, the part I'm thinking of comprises a couple of dispersals and a short stretch of taxiway in an airfield under terrific pressure. They built the runway in something like a day and a half - those guys were too busy to be tidy! The photos and paintings definitely show that and I feel that I have to follow them as far as is reasonable

I believe that bleak isn't necessarily the same as empty, even though bleak places often are underpopulated. In fact I'm using the word bleak, in my thinking, mostly in the context of the weather. I want to try and suggest bleak and windy weather through the body language of the figures and a few indicators like flags and tie downs etc. The busy, chaotic nature of the operations will be suggested by that cluttered scene with lots of simultaneous action occuring. Most of my dios have been too static and consequently quite boring after a few minutes inspection.

Picture these events happening all at once.

Two P-40s are crewing in. Pilots chatting and groundcrews wheeling extinguishers into place, removing covers.

Two P-39s are being recovered, turned round to park facing out perhaps, or being refueled and rearmed. Afterflight servicing in progress.

Big plane (P-38 or Cat) taxies by with little room to get past.

Salvage team takes an engine out of a wrecked P-40 Hangar Queen with a crane fitted to a deuce and a half truck

Someone takes a break for a pee against an engine box.

Someone takes a picture of the scene

Someone arrives in a jeep with a 5 gallon thermos of coffee

Someone opens a box

Someone has an argument with someone

Many someones break for a smoke

etc etc

I've seen all this activity happening at once in real life, though usually spread out over a wider area and under cover - in peacetime. This scene isn't peaceful though, more like a mud soaked aircraft carrier deck for population density and urgency of action.

I guess the final decisions will have to wait until I have that base in front of me and a few models taped together to see how it all fits. Until then, I love this imagination stretching phase and am very grateful for your suggestions and challenges.

The one thing I am certain of, is that I want multiple copies of the fighters - they never travelled alone and yet cost and time constraints have always made me model them as singletons. Now I'm semi-retired and with the kids grown up, able to spend some money on me for a change. Time to stretch out a bit!

Just picked this thread by its title sounding interesting. I have a video(Old school VHS) featuring this campaign. All in colour with amazing footage of loads of types as mentioned in this thread plus P-39s taxiing around the strip looking like winged speedboats, Catalinas and large vessels being tossed around in a harbour like corks, buildings made from packing cases that the aircraft and equipment were shipped in doubling up as quarters etc for all the personnel, said personnel growing beards to keep warm probably, and it all ends with footage of a raid on Kiska where gunners from a B-24 casually gunning targets on the ground. All this to the song 'I've got Sixpence...' A great film that I need to watch again. (I still have a VHS player!) But one thing, I don't reacll the title but worth looking up.

Cheers.

Just picked this thread by its title sounding interesting. I have a video(Old school VHS) featuring this campaign. All in colour with amazing footage of loads of types as mentioned in this thread plus P-39s taxiing around the strip looking like winged speedboats, Catalinas and large vessels being tossed around in a harbour like corks, buildings made from packing cases that the aircraft and equipment were shipped in doubling up as quarters etc for all the personnel, said personnel growing beards to keep warm probably, and it all ends with footage of a raid on Kiska where gunners from a B-24 casually gunning targets on the ground. All this to the song 'I've got Sixpence...' A great film that I need to watch again. (I still have a VHS player!) But one thing, I don't reacll the title but worth looking up.

Cheers.

Hi there, Paul

I think the film is called Report from the Aleutians. Directed by John Houston and nominated for Academy Awards. I posted a link to it a few days ago but here it is again. As you say, it's a brilliant movie.I love the look of the army guys there - just like Donald Sutherland's outfit in Kelly's Heroes they are rather unkempt! I recommend the movie to all.

http://www.archive.org/details/ReportFromTheAleutians

I've been eBaying again and now have the other P-40 and a pair of P-39s on the way. Progress of a sort!